#221 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Oh no.  :lol:

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#222 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

So I'm in Total Wine last Saturday,getting a Box of Bocks (6 pack Shiner cans) for Mrs. Bear and a mix six for myself when I see an old friend never before spotted in South FL-Bell's Lager of the Lakes, which was my go to when I lived in MI. Instead of a mixer I grabbed two sixes of that. Happy 4th, y'all!

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#223 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

So I'm in Total Wine last Saturday,getting a Box of Bocks (6 pack Shiner cans) for Mrs. Bear and a mix six for myself when I see an old friend never before spotted in South FL-Bell's Lager of the Lakes, which was my go to when I lived in MI. Instead of a mixer I grabbed two sixes of that. Happy 4th, y'all!

Bell's does a nice job on many of their beers.  Kalamazoo Stout, Oberon Wheat, and Smitten Rye Ale are my three favorites by them.  Believe it on not, I've still never had their flagship Two Hearted Ale.

#224 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:09 AM

Bell's does a nice job on many of their beers.  Kalamazoo Stout, Oberon Wheat, and Smitten Rye Ale are my three favorites by them.  Believe it on not, I've still never had their flagship Two Hearted Ale.

Being from MI, when I would go up there on vacation I would always try to get into The Eccentric Cafe, Larry Bell's in-house bar in Kalamazoo. Everything fresh, including some limited brews you would not see elsewhere. Two Hearted on tap is a joyful thing to behold!

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

#225 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

I've had now two delicious IPAs from Barrier Brewing out of Oceanside, NY...  Their Tanto IPA is sublime, a total tropical juice bomb, smooth as silk and delicious, and their Suite IPA, similar to Tanto with just a little more dank, also delicious.  I highly recommend!

I had originally tasted their Green Room Pale Ale a few months back and didn't care for it, although it was out of a bottle that may have been on the shelf too long.  I recently saw it restocked in cans, may have to give it another shot.

#226 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Interesting score from Other Half on Saturday, I picked up two-four packs of their collaboration with The Veil Brewing out of Richmond, Va.  It's called Coir Boiz, an Imperial Double IPA brewed with "400 lbs of coconut", and it's really interesting and tasty.  Big tropical, funky, juicy hops up front, with a fresh, almost coconut-water like finish.  Just a bare hint of sweetness, and the coconut aromas are earthy and weird.  They say it's a nod to the coir (coconut husk) fiber ropes used to trellis hop growing.  Very delicious!

#227 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

So, my local distributor that I've been praising these past few months has officially achieved BEER GOD STATUS...  He got me muthaf#ckin' Lawson's Sip Of Sunshine!!!  Woot!

#228 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

The trip trough Boston and on to Cape Cod was a success on the beer front!

Treehouse Brewing had only one offering that day, their Green IPA, but damn it's delicious!  Gorgeous facility, and no line at 2:30 pm...  a nice crowd there but the girl on the POS line even said this was the first time a customer ever walked to her line with no one in front of them.

Trillium's beers are all pretty awesome, definitely lived up to the hype, in particular their Dialed In DIPA, oh mamma.  Also picked up two of their Fort Point Pale Ale variations, both excellent.

Two each of the five Trillium varieties I bought, and six of the Greens from Treehouse made it home, still waiting to be enjoyed over the holiday weekend.  Yum!

A few other highlights tasted on The Cape (none local) were Pernicious IPA from Wicked Weed (outstanding West Coast style IPA), Smooth Beats Miami (a coconut IPA) from Finback, Fiddlehead self-titled IPA from Vermont, and Solar Plexus from The Tap Brewing, all very tasty.  We did go to the local Hog Island Brewery, and it was just ok, kinda run of the mill beer-wise, but a very nice place to visit.

#229 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Found on the Internet....

Sam Elliott Shops for Groceries in Malibu

In This Photo: Sam Elliott

'Draft Day' actor Sam Elliott out grocery shopping at Ralph's Supermarket in Malibu, California on August 26, 2013. Sam picked up a couple of six packs of Dead Guy Ale's Rogue beer to drink.

(Aug. 26, 2013 - Source: FameFlynet Pictures)

Sam+Elliott+Grocery+Shopping+Malibu+bgQP

Sam+Elliott+Sam+Elliott+Shops+Groceries+

maxresdefault.jpg

Sam Elliot was 69 in these photos. Jesus...

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#230 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Tried a few outstanding beers from Burley Oak Brewing out of Maryland recently, pretty hard to find in the NYC area, I think my distributor actually drove down and picked up a carload.  Their 100, Coogi Sweater, and Off The Wheaten Path IPAs were all excellent, all with variations on a distinct burnt orange malt.  Also tried their Lost IPA which was good, and a couple of their JREAM series fruit sours, very nice, natural fruit flavors, but maybe a little too fruity from my regular tastes.  Definitely a brewery to watch out for! 

I actually picked up a pack each of the three JREAMs they had in stock for a friend who lives upstate, apparently they're pretty hot on the trade circuit.

#231 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

http://nypost.com/20...akes-you-happy/

nkNMtIt.jpg

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#232 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Been quiet around here...  Had my first beer from Equilibrium Brewing out of Middletown, NY this past week; these guys have some good buzz on the trade circuit.  I got a four pack of their #4Science3 IPA, and holy delicious!  Pretty much a perfect IPA, ridiculously balanced and really wet on the palate.  Definitely a brewery to keep an eye out for.

My local distributor has a periodic connect for Burley Oak out of Maryland, always thrilled when they get a batch, definitely one of the best non-New England breweries on the East Coat.

I also had my first visit to the taproom at Finback.  Really nice place, did a bunch of tasters, got some goodies to go.  Consistently a great brewery, way more hits than misses with a nice variety of styles.  Next stop in the near future, want to hit Barrier Brewing in Long Island, their beers are consistently delicious, with again some being better than others.  I've yet to see the new taproom at Other Half, also on my list.

#233 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

I also got gifted a can of The Other One DIPA from Tilted Barn Brewery out of Exeter, RI...  Wow, and insane mango-tangerine juice bomb.  Definitely a cut above, anyone else hear of these guys?

#234 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

I need to pop into this thread more often.  So many great craft brews and brewpubs around Austin these days.  Big Bend Hefeweizen keeps popping up.  I'm not much into IPA, but the less hoppy ones tend to be OK.  It's not an IPA, more of an amber, but Thirsty Goat from Thirsty Planet is excellent.  Bit bold for an amber, but refreshing and full bodied.  

Big Bend Hefe

Thirsty Goat

#235 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

The problem a lot of people have with IPAs is that it is a very broad category.  There are juicy IPAs which are mostly the kind Scott14 and I are talking about, that only last a couple of weeks at their peak.  You can't get these in other parts of the country as easily.  You settle for the old-hop bitter IPAs which are just bitter without flavor.  If it's in a bottle on a shelf, it's not the kind of IPA I'm talking about.  This stuff is super fresh and has all of the characteristics of the hop in it.

#236 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

The problem a lot of people have with IPAs is that it is a very broad category.  There are juicy IPAs which are mostly the kind Scott14 and I are talking about, that only last a couple of weeks at their peak.  You can't get these in other parts of the country as easily.  You settle for the old-hop bitter IPAs which are just bitter without flavor.  If it's in a bottle on a shelf, it's not the kind of IPA I'm talking about.  This stuff is super fresh and has all of the characteristics of the hop in it.

In just the couple of years since I finally delved into IPA territory they've evolved drastically.  The terms "Dry Hopped" and "Wet Hopped" have become critical factors.  Wet hopping was the norm, with hops being added during the boiling phase of making the wort (malty liquid that will be fermented), and this is where all of their bittering characteristics come out.  Different recipes call for different amounts/varieties of hops, and they're added at different phases of the boil (typical wort is made with one hour of aggressive boiling), and the longer they're in, the more bitterness is extracted.  Old school IPAs had a lot of bittering because it acted as a preservative for beers they wanted a long shelf life on.

The newer craze has been on dry hopping, which is adding them during the second phase of beer making, fermentation (no boiling), with way less bittering effect, allowing the vast array of floral notes to shine.  They're now going one step further and using a lot of Lupulin Powder during fermentation.  Lupulin is the powdery resin on the surface of the hop flowers, where all the aromatics come from, without using the flower itself where all of the bitterness is.  So all of these dry hopped beers (and double and triple dry hopped) are deeply aromatic and smooth as silk, some with no discernible bitterness at all.

#237 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

A recent query on a Facebook page I follow: What four beers defined you? What four beers are on your Mount Rushmore? 

My entries:

1. Genesee 12-Horse Ale. Back in the day we used to get a case of beer with our paychecks. This is the one I always went for. 
2. Sam Adams Lager. If you has a beer named after you wouldn't you put it on the list? Plus it brought craft beer to the mass
es.
3. Founders All Day IPA. Since I found this, hardly a day has gone by without having it in my fridge.
4. Sam Adams Triple Bock. The first heavy-hitter, and the first beer I ever cellared.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#238 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

I haven’t had a beer in a long time. I’ve had a long time to think. My four on my Mt Rushmore?

Treehouse Julius
Bissell Brothers Swish
New England Brewing Coriolis
Singlecut Billy 18 Watt IPA

#239 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, tough question!  My current Mt Rushmore would probably be:

Other Half's Hop Showers - The first "modern" IPA I fell in love with (actually releasing this weekend!)

Lawson's Sip Of Sunshine - The first New England IPA I fell in love with

Russian River Brewing's Pliny The Elder - The first West Coast IPA I fell in love with

Tree House Green - Probably the finest IPA I've ever had

But it's tough to leave so many favorites off this list!

#240 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Jeez, I could do a Rushmore just from the magnificence that is Bell's, the pride of Comstock, MI.

Lager of the Great Lakes, Amber Ale, Oatsmobile IPA, & Special Double Cream Stout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users