194 replies to this topic

#181 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,124 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

I did not care for the Grimm Candlepower. The farmhouse style was done well, but the sage and pink peppercorn flavor didn't appeal to me at all. Way too savory for beer, I think it reminded me too much of soup broth mixed with beer. Also sold out of Lumen... Oh well. But I did pick up four bottles of MO to compensate :P

The Italians do much better with pink peppercorns. This beer, Almond 22, is really nice. An Italian Pale Ale style that brings a crisp start and a round mouth feel. This according tasting notes last spring. It's not savory.

https://www.beeradvo...le/14492/60316/

#182 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

The Italians do much better with pink peppercorns. This beer, Almond 22, is really nice. An Italian Pale Ale style that brings a crisp start and a round mouth feel. This according tasting notes last spring. It's not savory.

https://www.beeradvo...le/14492/60316/

Very cool.  It may well be the sage that throws this one for me, it's a very savory herb, and the beer itself is very dry.  In particular, I use a sage and pink peppercorn combo for a rabbit dish I make.  Great combo, but maybe not so much for beer.

#183 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Great scores at the distributor yesterday, I picked up four bottles each Lunch and Zoe by Maine Beer Co.  Zoe is wonderful, a hoppy amber ale, and it's a beautiful combination of roasty amber malt and hoppiness, yet still very clear and juicy.  Lunch is pretty much a perfect beer, one of their flagship IPA's, and wow, it is delicious, juicy, and far from over-hopped.  Both are phenomenal and perfectly balanced, and I can't stop calling their beers "super clean", each sip is like a pallate cleanser.  I'm impressed how they've perfected their style, and I am a big fan!

I also got the last can of Grimm's Afterimage, a potent yet pretty balanced Double IPA.  Massive tropical and citrus hops up front, kinda dank pine in the middle, and then surprisingly clean in the finish.  Lastly, for my random pick of the day I grabbed a four-pack of Night Shift Brewing's Santilli American IPA, untasted thus far.

#184 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

A couple of recently enjoyed brews from me: The Unibroue/Dave Mustaine collaboration, À Tout Le Monde, was quite tasty. Also recently picked up Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, this one may be my new favorite beer. I had bypassed this one in the store so many times because I thought it was brewed with hot sauce (Sriracha/Sorachi, duh! Sorachi Ace is a Japanese hop).
Both of these are Farmhouse/Saisons, with a slightly sweet, citrusy hop flavor, and no bitterness at all.
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#185 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

A couple of recently enjoyed brews from me: The Unibroue/Dave Mustaine collaboration, À Tout Le Monde, was quite tasty. Also recently picked up Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, this one may be my new favorite beer. I had bypassed this one in the store so many times because I thought it was brewed with hot sauce (Sriracha/Sorachi, duh! Sorachi Ace is a Japanese hop).
Both of these are Farmhouse/Saisons, with a slightly sweet, citrusy hop flavor, and no bitterness at all.

Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace is one of the fresher tasting Saisons, given something that ages in a bottle.   High crisp/low funk.

#186 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

I finally got to try something by Hill Farmstead last night.  I had a few pints of their Sumner Pale Ale at a local gastropub, very delicious.  Big pineapple and grapefruit aromas up front, nice and juicy, very easy drinker.  Looking forward to trying more of their stuff!

#187 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

I finally got to try something by Hill Farmstead last night.  I had a few pints of their Sumner Pale Ale at a local gastropub, very delicious.  Big pineapple and grapefruit aromas up front, nice and juicy, very easy drinker.  Looking forward to trying more of their stuff!

They're all amazing, among the best you can buy in NY.

You need to get yourself to Monson, MA though.  It's about 3hrs through CT and over the border.  Treehouse is amazing and must be tried and consumed copiously.

#188 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

They're all amazing, among the best you can buy in NY.

You need to get yourself to Monson, MA though.  It's about 3hrs through CT and over the border.  Treehouse is amazing and must be tried and consumed copiously.

Treehouse and Bissel Bros. top my list, all your fault of course.  Julius in particular, and I was so close, a friend had one for me and we couldn't make the connection.  We're going to Cape Cod this summer, I'll have to see how far off course it is :P

I also hear great things about Trillium, and I am jonesing to get my hands on the Lawson's Sip Of Sunshine again!

• Bones likes this

#189 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

http://www.eventbrit...tm-term=listing

• scott14 likes this

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#190 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

The trend continues...  I picked up four bottles of Maine Beer Co.'s Peeper yesterday, yet another amazing beer by them.  Citrus and pineapple and juicy as heck.  Delicious.  Four for four, I'm starting to think these guys can do no wrong.  I can't wait to get my hands on their Dinner DIPA.

Last week I grabbed two bottles of Singlecut's Weird & Gilly IPA, tasty but a little over my limit in the dank.  The first I drank straight up, and the dank was a little harsh and long lingering past my tolerance, but the second was imbibed with food and much better for it.  This week I got two of their Does Anybody Remember Laughter? IPA, a little more balanced for my tastes, very fresh and very tasty.  

Lastly, I picked up a four pack of Bell's new release, Oberon, untasted until tomorrow most likely.  Definitely before Monday so I can get that damn Untappd badge :P

• fenderjazz likes this

#191 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

I did some damage at Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn yesterday.  I went specifically to pick up their Hop Showers IPA can release (well stocked at home now), but had fun spending a couple of hours at the tasting room with my old lady, and we had four 12 oz each, trading tastes of their various weeklies.  Highlights were the Broccoli and Cheddar IPA's, and their Maple Creamies Imperial Stout.  These guys are definitely a NYC standout.

#192 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I read an article in Draft Magazine a few months ago predicting 2017 would be the year of the Session Ales, dialing back the heavy hopping and high ABV's.  Instead I'm seeing the trend of doubling everywhere, Double Dry Hopped out the wazoo.  Extra doses of hops, extra hazy beers...  I know it's a thing, but the one thing I felt at the Other Half tasting room was the lack of diversity, every beer on their tap menu was a Double Dry Hopped variant of something, and the variations weren't varied enough to justify the style encompassing 11 out of the 12 beers featured.  No pale ales, no pilsners, no lagers, no browns, no sessions, no wheats, just 11 DIPA's or IIPA's and one imperial stout.  

Even the Hop Showers I bought is a Double Dry Hopped version of what I had last year, and while delicious, I probably would have preferred the more balanced original.  And although I haven't tasted any of them, I see Treehouse and Lawson's also doing "doubles" of their flagship beers trending on Untappd.  Personally I think the sign of a great brewery is being able to nail a variety of styles, just my opinion of course.

#193 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

^^^

The New England style, which so many of these brewers try to emulate is a highly hopped and dry hopped double or imperial IPA.  It's difficult to argue with that.  I think the ABV doesn't need to approach 10% in some of these beers, in fact my favorite of the bunch, Treehouse Julius has a 6.8% ABV which is just fine with me.  Maine Lunch is 7%.

That said, I do think the taproom choices at these breweries are mostly experimental or showing off.  Most firkins that get distributed around are essentially dry hopped offerings, albeit with a different hop, of their regular lines.  I'm pretty sure that's what you are experiencing.

Around here, you can call anything an IPA and people will try it.  The other varietals, maybe a American Pale, nothing else will get tried until the IPAs and Pales dry up.  On my diet I haven't drank beer since January 9, so I don't know any recent trends, but that is how it was up until then just around here.

#194 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:16 AM

If you can get your hands on it, try some of the offerings from Sloop, especially Juice Bomb and Centennial Bomb.  Both are quite excellent. Sloop is located in the Hudson Valley so you may have an easier time finding them than I do.

For my 50th b-day some of us did a pretty decent beer tasting, 15- or so bottles. The highlight was a three-year comparison of 120 minute IPA

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#195 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace is one of the fresher tasting Saisons, given something that ages in a bottle.   High crisp/low funk.

This is right at the top of my favorites list. I splurged on a case of the 750's for Christmas. The champagne yeast it's finished with gives Ace a unique finish. 

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users