Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

$ grep r nah.txt

really?

I actually prefer Perl for my REGEX needs. Not that I program much these days anymore.

I started to use the name Grep back in the Quake deathmatch days of the late 90's. I wanted an easy to remember name for my team partners. I've come to like it. ......

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#23 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Quake deathmatch servers... oh the fun... favorite map I loved running around in was this large apartment where 'we' were rat-sized (or everything else was just superenlarged) so it made for good fun running behind baseboards, under coffee tables, in cupboards & the fridge... Miss me some Quakeychaos goodness... 

#24 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

I actually prefer Perl for my REGEX needs. Not that I program much these days anymore.

I started to use the name Grep back in the Quake deathmatch days of the late 90's. I wanted an easy to remember name for my team partners. I've come to like it. ......

yeah but grep is useful in the context of shell scripting

wouldn't dream of using perl to accomplish a cron-run script that's just 'run this bin when this stuff happens in file.log and write output to file_incident.log'

for more information please reread

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

You could do .. it's a reasonable tool for that. So's Python. I default to BASH for that sort of thing myself because I was brought up on the Korn shell, and it's very similar.

#26 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

yeah but grep is useful in the context of shell scripting

wouldn't dream of using perl to accomplish a cron-run script that's just 'run this bin when this stuff happens in file.log and write output to file_incident.log'

You should have seen the Perl script we came up with to deal with submitting multiple clients' daily sales at this one office. oy.

When I had to do it all over again at another office (and then another and another), I just went straight SQL and haven't looked back...

#27 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

Quake deathmatch servers... oh the fun... favorite map I loved running around in was this large apartment where 'we' were rat-sized (or everything else was just superenlarged) so it made for good fun running behind baseboards, under coffee tables, in cupboards & the fridge... Miss me some Quakeychaos goodness... 

I remember that very map. A huge teacup on the table.... LOL.   Perhaps we fragged each other back in the day.

• DarthLen likes this

#28 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

There's an Assault Cube map like that. I like that one.

• grep likes this

#29 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

I remember that very map. A huge teacup on the table.... LOL.   Perhaps we fragged each other back in the day.

lost track of the amount of times I fell (usually dead) from the bookshelf.... I could never get the mouse/kb combo to be as fast & accurate than a lot of the guys who played so while I'd be trying to set up a little sniping shop, ... blammo

#30 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Same here. I used to be really good at the simple Doom keyboard method. But mouse aim?  I never could coordinate that well. Tried various joystick schemes too. Meh.   So I'd just resort to looking for a good place to snipe.  My bag was to always pop off the pursuer when I saw a chase happening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users