73 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

Double blind testing of lossy vs. lossless audio. Quantify statistially if you can hear the difference between different formats!

Me? It tells me what I already know. MP3s sound just fine to me. I really tried but cannot hear the difference.

http://abx.digitalfe.../list.lame.html

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:04 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...9496883039.html

#3 Cygnify

Cygnify

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:22 AM

Well, I didn't have patience to complete 5 trials of 5 songs - but for me, it was easy to tell the difference every time on the first few!  For me, the trick was all in the cymbals.  The lower bit rate MP3 have all sorts of flutter and don't reproduce those high frequencies (such as cymbals) in any reliable way.

I have also noticed the difference in listening on my nice home system - if I plug my ipod in and play something with a high bit rate (usually 320 kbps), I can clearly hear a difference with a CD at volume - and not just in the cymbals, but overall bass response, etc.   I guess I should be glad because I paid extra for Bluray audio discs with 24 bit, 96 kHz!  Really, it's night and day.

Now, that's not to say I would hear such a pronounced difference in ear buds - or maybe certain music that doesn't have alot of cymbals.  But for these rock songs, it was obvious.

#4 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...9496883039.html

The Sansa Clip+ will play those same files (.flac) at a much lower price ($50ish) and fits easily in your pocket. And if mp3 files are okay with you, it will play those too. Personally I don't think the average music listener cares that much.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

I agree that decent bitrate MP3 music can be indistinguishable from lossless, unless you use seriously excellent equipment and are listening for the difference.

More than any other field of human interest, the audio industry seems to plagued by total bullshit marketing and myth. Imagine if the medical industry was dominated by homeopathy, or NASA was run by astrologers. Consumer audio is like that. Cables that cost £3000, so-called "high definition" formats that don't offer the slightest improvement in resolution over regular CD audio.  People who'll tell you that vinyl offers better fidelity than digital.

There's no fool like an audiophoole.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

The Sansa Clip+ will play those same files (.flac) at a much lower price ($50ish) and fits easily in your pocket. And if mp3 files are okay with you, it will play those too. Personally I don't think the average music listener cares that much.

Ah but the Pono will play 24 bit/192kHz files. Read about how worthwhile that is, here:

http://xiph.org/~xip...neil-young.html

#7 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Ah but the Pono will play 24 bit/192kHz files. Read about how worthwhile that is, here:

http://xiph.org/~xip...neil-young.html

Nice read. Thanks.

falconext.png

#8 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

That's the thing here:  The lower res mp3's 
No shit there's gunna be a noticeable difference!  They're lower quality files!!  *face palm*
Honestly, if you have 320k mp3's, it's damn near impossible to hear they aren't flac or wav.  The reason you could would be if there are encoding errors or audible artifacts or the source material was shit to begin with.  When I'm converting anything into mp3, I always use "high quality" mode and 320k.  Nothing less.  And none of this "joint stereo" bullshit either.

Try hearing a difference.  I bet if it's a blind test, you can't tell.  When you KNOW one is lossy vs. lossless, your brain immediately tells you: "oh, this can't be as good as that".
It's all in yo head!!  :P :D  

#9 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

A few years ago I started encoding flat 192kbps MP3s and they're perfectly fine for most recordings.  Older, poorly digitized (from pure analog master) albums tend to be the only ones needing more bitrate, usually the cymbals become washy as Cygnify explained.

I have the Sansa Clip+ (primary player in the car), and have used this exact same one for years.  For a time I played FLAC only files but the road noise ruined any benefit, so back to a huge collection of decent MP3s.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#10 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

320 VBR for me. Fine for car/running/earbuds on public transit, etc.

Sittin at home with the system cranked and a tall glass of red? CD or above res please. Can't swear I can tell the difference between CD and above, but surround albums (which comprise 100% of my deep listening these days) always offer higher res, so why choose lower?

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#11 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

Maybe it's getting a bit into the "snobbish" territory, but I don't eff with variable rate either.  CBR only.  :D  Hehehehe

#12 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Maybe it's getting a bit into the "snobbish" territory, but I don't eff with variable rate either.  CBR only.   :D  Hehehehe

There's really only a little bit of file size saved, so like you I only do CBR now (used to only use high quality VBR).

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

320 VBR for me. Fine for car/running/earbuds on public transit, etc.

Sittin at home with the system cranked and a tall glass of red? CD or above res please. Can't swear I can tell the difference between CD and above

There is no "above", and exactly no difference. It's pure marketing and audiophoolery.

http://www.jamesgibb...tion-audio-con/

#14 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

There is no "above", and exactly no difference. It's pure marketing and audiophoolery.

http://www.jamesgibb...tion-audio-con/

We get it, James.

#15 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

OK, now that this is settled, which 320k solves the problem...clearly. 

How about the people who have golden ears and can tell a difference in sound quality from the cabling that connects the components in their equipment.  These people have always amused me because it's so preposterous.  Unless you have synesthesia or some shit, you can't tell a difference between a 4 dollar RCA cable or the 45 dollar Monster cable.  

The only difference here is the price...and for that, you've just been fleeced, motherfucker!

#16 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

We get it, James.

We're pleased to hear it.

#17 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

We're pleased to hear it.

We get that you get stuck on an idea and feel compelled to ram it down other's throats, regardless of whether they give a shit about what you think...

Glad you're pleased...

#18 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Compact discs sound better than records.

#19 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

OK, now that this is settled, which 320k solves the problem...clearly.

How about the people who have golden ears and can tell a difference in sound quality from the cabling that connects the components in their equipment. These people have always amused me because it's so preposterous. Unless you have synesthesia or some shit, you can't tell a difference between a 4 dollar RCA cable or the 45 dollar Monster cable.

The only difference here is the price...and for that, you've just been fleeced, motherfucker!

Exactly.

You do need decent cables. In the sense that you need the right wire gauge to handle the signal from your amp to speakers, and between components. Said cables obviously need good soldering and connections.

But besides that, it's all bullshit. Copper is copper. Electrons flow... and there's enough coloring of the signal in components/speakers to make tte concept of excessive cabling a non issue.

falconext.png

#20 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

Compact discs sound better than records.

It depends on your POV. They will sound cleaner - no surface noise etc. But some folks do enjoy that vinyl warmth.

falconext.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users