#1 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

Who knows anything about the University Of Wyoming in Laramie? My daughter has just been accepted on to a student exchange program and will be studying there for the spring semester in 2016. I know precisely the square root of bugger all about it (or Wyoming). 

#2 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

Who knows anything about the University Of Wyoming in Laramie? My daughter has just been accepted on to a student exchange program and will be studying there for the spring semester in 2016. I know precisely the square root of bugger all about it (or Wyoming). 

I know a guy who worked there and 2 people who got their PhDs there.  But that was years ago.  I think it's probably a neat place to live, and lots of interesting things to see somewhat near by. 

sbfszNi.jpg

#3 mmcxii

mmcxii

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

Cowboys, play in the Mountain West Conference.

Sparsely populated state.

Hate gays, except for Dick Cheney's lezzie daughter.

#4 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

Looks like a small place but it's not too far from Denver. I'm sure she'll have a great time. My wife and I are fine about her going but one of her grandmothers is in full-on panic mode. 

#5 mmcxii

mmcxii

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

If she learns how to work a lasso, she'll be fine.

#6 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

I've driven through that part of the country a number of times. It's about as different from the UK as you could get. A high desert and a lot of wide open spaces. Quite beautiful in its way, with very much of a "wild west" feel. I don't know Laramie much but it's a college town so there will be more there than in most other parts of the state. It should be an interesting experience for her.

#7 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

Spent the night there once. Hotels are quite expensive because oil well people are always in town. Nice town but somewhat isolated. Denver is a little over 2 hours away, but that's about it.

Hey...where's Perry?

#8 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

Never been to that part of the country but from what I understand it has beautiful landscapes, lots of open country.  As others have said, the state is sparsely populated, sort of a classic cowboy vibe.  She probably won't get much of an urban experience or any big city thrills.  But maybe that's a good thing from a dad perspective. :)

One of these days I intend to make a trip to Yellowstone National Park.  Unfortunately it looks like an 8 hour drive from Laramie.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:44 AM

Beautiful wide open spaces.  Certainly a change of pace.  Probably the safest place she could possibly be as well.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

She'll be able to open carry without a permit so yippie for that.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  • Locationa deep dark hole

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:07 AM

Screen-Shot-2015-01-25-at-14.40.06.png

#12 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

It's definitely going to be a different experience for her. She'll be moving from the (relatively) densely populated central belt of Scotland to the least densely populated state in the US. Laramie itself is slightly smaller than the town where she studies just now but apart from Cheyenne the rest of the state seems to be empty. If she doesn't like it, well it's only for four months.

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

Let us now pray she doesn't become one of the People of Walmart.

people-of-walmart.jpg?w=500

• Slut Puppy likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#14 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

I drove through there all the time, as I lived in Fort Collins CO, about an hour south. Small town. I think the U of W is fine, but the town of Laramie is kind of a backwater. Ft. Collins is the closest place that does not seem like The Old West.

This was twenty years ago, though.

Those who know what's best for us...

#15 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Big sky.

Or so I read.

Should love to see it one day......

#16 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Laramie .. Wyoming - such evocative place names. They make me think of watching old TV series when I was a kid, like The Virginian, Branded and Bonanza.

I think there was a film called The Man From Laramie .. yes just checked - with Jimmy Stewart

^ sung by Jimmy Young

• baldiepete likes this

#17 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

It's definitely going to be a different experience for her. She'll be moving from the (relatively) densely populated central belt of Scotland to the least densely populated state in the US. Laramie itself is slightly smaller than the town where she studies just now but apart from Cheyenne the rest of the state seems to be empty. If she doesn't like it, well it's only for four months.

The different landscape and people will give her perspective.  The language close enough for comfort.  Should be good.  So many of my daughter's friends are doing their study abroad semester in Asia.  Very different world there.

• baldiepete likes this

#18 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Let us now pray she doesn't become one of the People of Walmart.

people-of-walmart.jpg?w=500

Out of respect for Pete I'm not going to bounce off this and hijack the thread. It's so tempting to say something like "that's not a walmart person... THIS is a walmart person...." and post a photo of a 400 pound man waring a cowboy hat and a thong.

• Slut Puppy likes this

#19 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

She'll need a warm coat and a pair of shorts.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#20 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Out of respect for Pete I'm not going to bounce off this and hijack the thread. It's so tempting to say something like "that's not a walmart person... THIS is a walmart person...." and post a photo of a 400 pound man waring a cowboy hat and a thong.

She's 5'10 and about 150 pounds. She'd better not come back double that and with a 400 pound bloke in tow.
  • grep and OldRUSHfan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users