46 replies to this topic

#1 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

Just saw the Lorne Gump interview from NAMM over on RIAB, Neil will not be touring with the rear kit and they'll be no rotating riser. This leads me to believe Neil will be busting out the old racks of chimes, the tubular bells, and who knows, mayb the chinese gong and the tympani back there.

Should be interesting. 

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

It's just possible that maybe his Malletkat and the front triggers may suffice.  If you think about it, other than maintaining a more traditional seat on a drumkit, he's got 90% of what he needs right in front.  Given the low stage volume, miking chimes and traditional percussion is no longer an issue.  There are no longer Alex and Geddy amps pushing out 1000s of watts of sound out there anymore.  There are no wedge monitors.  It's all drums onstage and that's it.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Just saw the Lorne Gump interview from NAMM over on RIAB, Neil will not be touring with the rear kit and they'll be no rotating riser. This leads me to believe Neil will be busting out the old racks of chimes, the tubular bells, and who knows, mayb the chinese gong and the tympani back there.
Should be interesting.

Goddammit that would be incredible---I don't think that would happen though. I think Wheaton would've teased that.

#4 snowdog

snowdog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

HEMISPHERES !!!!!

#5 snowdog

snowdog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

Maybe Ged's bringing his AMPS back ???   Long live Ampeg !!

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

I think amps are long gone, even for Alex.  Well they do use amps, they just don't attach speaker cabinets to them anymore.  This is what allows them to get on stage, on time.

#7 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

Just saw the Lorne Gump interview from NAMM over on RIAB, Neil will not be touring with the rear kit and they'll be no rotating riser.

It's just possible that maybe his Malletkat and the front triggers may suffice.  If you think about it, other than maintaining a more traditional seat on a drumkit, he's got 90% of what he needs right in front.

Gump says in the interview that they're "not going to be using the full Vdrum kit on the back." As you say, with the Malletkat and triggers, plus that comment leaves the door open for some partial Vdrums.

Also, that little quickie interview was fun, but that was some really terrible videography.

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Gump says in the interview that they're "not going to be using the full Vdrum kit on the back." As you say, with the Malletkat and triggers, plus that comment leaves the door open for some partial Vdrums.

Also, that little quickie interview was fun, but that was some really terrible videography.

Oh man absolutely.  How about some Broll of the fucking drum kit???

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

Can he pull off the 80's material with just triggers?

Figure 4 albums with the electronic drums.

p/g

PoW

HYF

RTB

How much material would they really play from those records? And even if they did, is it absolutely required to have electronic drums?

falconext.png

#10 rosmakloma

rosmakloma

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationParker, CO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

If you look at the images from NAMM - there are a couple of spots in the riser for additional stands, but I never considered bringing back some acoustic percussion. Visually, it would be awesome but I have a hard time believing that Neil would do that vs. using samples.

#11 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

p/g

PoW

HYF

RTB

How much material would they really play from those records? And even if they did, is it absolutely required to have electronic drums?

For many of these songs he doesn't use the rear percussion—he could still play much of the material with the new setup.

#12 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

This is my two cents. Gump says " For this tour, we're not going to be using the full V-drum kit on the back. We're not going to be spinning. It's going to be full tilt Rush songs and there will probably be a whole lotta old stuff in it."

So a special one of a kind kit, and perhaps the last time we see Neil tour. I think it's plausible. 

1. In terms of sound, the acoustic instruments just sound better. So on that front it's a win. 

2. Visually it would look cool. 

3. A full rendering of Xanadu, La Villa and Jacobs Ladder would be awesome. 

In the past he had said that he liked the control and consistency of the samples. Putting mics to all that gear and getting consistently good sound was always a challenge. These days I think the task would be much simpler. For one, they use an automated mixing console. No one has to boost individual levels of each input when Neil goes to play the percussion. The entire routines can be pre-programmed. Secondly, as another poster pointed out, the actual stage is a much quieter place since removing all the cabinets. But even if they had not, the problem was not insurmountable. To me, the biggest issue in terms of stage noise would have been the floor monitors, and they are but a distant memory. This is totally doable. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility. 

#13 bordercollie

bordercollie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationI wish I knew

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:04 AM

This pretty much rules out Red Sector A.  Maybe The Trees too, but I would think he could program that stuff on the Malletkat.  Or they could just be trigger by Ged or Al stepping on a pedal. :rolleyes:

#14 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:17 AM

Well The Trees was pre-electronics anyway, and yes he could Fo all the percussion on the few things he's likely to keep. And if he's got acoustic bells and blocks he can use those too, so I don't think The Trees is out. Frankly, I never thought it sounded right on his electronic kit. Red Sector A would be out though. They played it last tour anyway.

But this is exciting news if it's true.

#15 bordercollie

bordercollie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationI wish I knew

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

Frankly, I never thought it (The Trees) sounded right on his electronic kit.

Indeed.  Real cowbells, temple blocks, and bell trees all the way!

#16 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

I'm sure there are a few vdrums in the kit.  Remember he plays samples through those anyway.  I'd like to see real percussion instruments like the old days, mostly because I think we have a better chance of hearing them better live than ever before.  I just think he'll trigger the samples without turning the kit around.

#17 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

Maybe Erskine talked some sense into him...

I would love to see him play the real stuff, and it's very true - the changes in stage volume, monitors and advancements in technology since '83 would make this totally doable.  But then, I would like to see him not have his stupid little hat thingy match his t-shirt... but I don't think either of these things will happen.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#18 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:54 AM

p/g

PoW

HYF

RTB

Of course he can pull it off, he's Neil Peart.

For many of these songs he doesn't use the rear percussion—he could still play much of the material with the new setup.

You know it!

#19 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:02 AM

Indeed.  Real cowbells, temple blocks, and bell trees all the way!

I believe he has always played real cowbells but I doubt he will play the other percussion pieces other than on his malletkat.

I'm sure there are a few vdrums in the kit.  Remember he plays samples through those anyway.  I'd like to see real percussion instruments like the old days, mostly because I think we have a better chance of hearing them better live than ever before.  I just think he'll trigger the samples without turning the kit around.

He triggers samples that are a sequence of sounds or other non-standard drum samples with his Dauz pad;
http://neilpeartnews...-available.html

This video of his drums being assembled and then played during sound check shows three V-drums that he most likely will use on this tour. Skip to 4:12 to advance to the sound check segment. Really cool to hear Ged ad lib with Neil for a bit.

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

I believe he has always played real cowbells but I doubt he will play the other percussion pieces other than on his malletkat.

He triggers samples that are a sequence of sounds or other non-standard drum samples with his Dauz pad;

This video of his drums being assembled and then played during sound check shows three V-drums that he most likely will use on this tour. Skip to 4:12 to advance to the sound check segment. Really cool to hear Ged ad lib with Nhttp://m.bbc.com/new...ada-31104979eil for a bit.

Looks like the videos been removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users