Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Bought a Glenlivet 'Founders Reserve' today.  Tesco has it in a 70ml bottle for £33.39, but two 35ml bottles come to £26 at the moment. Very nice.

https://www.whiskysh...ounders-reserve

• ghostworks likes this

#23 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Bought a Glenlivet 'Founders Reserve' today.  Tesco has it in a 70ml bottle for £33.39, but two 35ml bottles come to £26 at the moment. Very nice.

https://www.whiskysh...ounders-reserve

Hmmmm, it's my dad's birthday next week, a couple of those - one for him, one for me - would be a good deal :)

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

I don't like whiskey.  A mate of mine keeps buying it for me for Xmas.  I just flood it with coke - only way I can drink the stuff.

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

You're just trying to upset us.

Very much liking the Founder's Reserve. I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference from the regular 12YO Glenlivet if not for the label, but it's probably a slightly stronger taste. Stored one of them away for Christmas.

#26 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

Total newbie here, the only times I had scotch was first with my next door neighbor's Mom, which almost made me puke, and next with my BFF's Dad, the same year, '77, and that was also UCKY.  Next was '78 after my BFF's Dad gave him a bottle of Haig & Haig "Pinch" for his birthday.  didn't like that either even though it was 12 yr. old stuff......seems like TV shows are all getting into drinking alcohol again, "Blue Bloods" is mostly Scotch, Wine and Beer for "Rizzoli & Isles" and most other shows I watch, mostly Law enforcement proceedurals......What SERIOUSLY should I try for a first try with scotch?  :shrug:

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

The aforementioned Glenlivet is a good bet - it's smooth and mellow and doesn't have the sharp bite of other Scotches mentioned in this threat. Nice full flavour but not aggressive and slips down easy. Some whiskies can give you an aftertaste like you've been chewing on a burnt stick, but that one won't.

• OldRUSHfan, Lady MacBass and ghostworks like this

#28 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Another beginner tip is don't have Scotch and Bourbon too closely together.  Bourbon is more in-your-face with flavor and Scotch is more subtle.

• OldRUSHfan, Lady MacBass and ghostworks like this

#29 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

^^^ Thanks, guys!... :Cheers3:

• Slim likes this

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#30 Lady MacBass

Lady MacBass

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew England, The Big Blue Marble

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

Did somebody say Leapfrog (Laphroaig)?   Tasty, smoky, delicious...  The 10 is better than the 15 and the cask strength is just as awesome...   Ardbeg is good too.  Try Ledaig, it is from Mull and in the same vein.  Lagavulin, now that's tasty too.   Ceol Ila, also smoky, as is some of the Bruichladdich offerings...  Highland park and Scapa, also smoky, but not as intense as the aforementioned.   :)

Getting thirsty just thinking about it!   :)

#31 Lady MacBass

Lady MacBass

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:43 PM

... Sidenote.  If eating spicy foods, Laphroaig is not a good pair.  Had it with vindaloo once, also with Mexican food -- the intense smoke sort of amplifies the heat...   Oh, and always open the whisky up with a splash of water (a good, neutral flavor spring water, not tap, especially if there is a high chlorine content)...

#32 Lady MacBass

Lady MacBass

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:51 PM

Total newbie here, the only times I had scotch was first with my next door neighbor's Mom, which almost made me puke, and next with my BFF's Dad, the same year, '77, and that was also UCKY.  Next was '78 after my BFF's Dad gave him a bottle of Haig & Haig "Pinch" for his birthday.  didn't like that either even though it was 12 yr. old stuff......seems like TV shows are all getting into drinking alcohol again, "Blue Bloods" is mostly Scotch, Wine and Beer for "Rizzoli & Isles" and most other shows I watch, mostly Law enforcement proceedurals......What SERIOUSLY should I try for a first try with scotch?  :shrug:

For your first whisky.  Well, you can't go wrong with Glenlivet, it is sweet and as someone said earlier, it is smooth, very drinkable.  Glenfiddich is nice too, in whisky circles it is sometimes called the "Bud of whisky."  Macallan 12 is always nice, fragrant and smooth, it's a Speyside so they have just a little hint of peat, but have that smooth, vanilla notes from the sherry cask aging.   Edradour is a nice whisky too, as is Dahlwhinne.  If you want no peat then Auchentochen (it is a Lowland Scotch).

Snifter, add a splash of water.  Ice dulls the flavor.

Pinch is a blend.   Blends are consistent but they have more grain alcohol than whisky.  I find blends to be a little bland, and some can be harsh.  Once in awhile if I do have a blend I either choose Famous Grouse, Johnny Walker (the red is less smoky than the black, the gold is smooth, the green is very smoky and the Blue is good, but I didn't find it to be worth extra cake IMHO -- I got a bottle as a gift once).  With blends I find they are best in ice or a mixer.   

#33 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:44 AM

Went out to lunch and had a Chivas Regal (12YO) as an aperitif. Very nice. Not bland. Another blended I like is JW Black Label.

I used to love the bog standard JW Red Label in my 20s for its slightly biscuity motif but if I ever try it now it's hard going.

I had a bottle of Auchentoshan about ten years ago, found it a bit marshmallowy and green. Needed another few years in the barrel.

#34 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

The best blended to my taste is the very inexpensive, but really nice White Horse.  It's made in Edinburgh and it uses quite a bit of Lagavulin in  it's blend.  It has an odd bottle, looks like a bottle of Crisco, but what's inside is easily worth double the price you pay.

#35 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

The White Horse that's available in the UK is just about my least favourite whisky of all, not counting this sort of thing:

value_scotch.jpg

I drank too much of it one New Year's Eve in the late '70s and that undoubtedly has something to do with it. But even so, last time I tried it, it did have that slightly bitter and paint-stripperish cheap Scotch taste. Perhaps I'll try it again if I see it in a pub or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users