#721 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:34 PM

We're back! How nice.

I posted a few updates to a cycling thread on TNMS while we were down and I think I'll mirror there from now on. But I'm delighted to have this thread back.

Just to keep this one up to date, since this is my de facto cycling journal of 2015:

Friday 20th:

Dry and a bit cold, but colder tomorrow apparently and anyway I'm on call, so I went out and did one of my usual routes, 12.79 miles. Cycled past Sence Valley Forest park, where the poor girl's body was found a couple of days ago. It's only about a mile from here. Purple ribbons on the gates, and on one or two of the houses. Very sad.

Hit my 2015 target of 2112 miles in October, but I'm informally aiming for 2500 this year. 2386 done now, 110 this month.

In other news I've acquired some bright green cycling shoes as an occasional change from my black Shimanos. Bit tighter. Better keep my toenails clipped.

Saturday 21st:

Beautifully sunny day but bloody cold. Snow on the car as I opened the garage door.

Took the hybrid out for a spin, 16.85 miles. Coleorton, Griffydam, Belton and back along Top Brand. The cold wind on my face and round my toes nearly had me giving up in the first couple of miles, but it became more tolerable. My toes were like blocks of ice when I got back, though. I know cycling shoes are supposed to be well ventilated but I could actually feel the chilly air blowing round my socks.

127 done this month, 2403 this year.

Sunday 22nd:

To Staffordshire through Warwickshire, then back into Warwickshire and back into NW Leicestershire. Cold but actually quite pleasant in the sun, until the dark grey clouds rolled over. Fingers were getting a bit too numb and tingly to change gear by the end.

warks.jpg

staffs.jpg

Had to stop for a wee on a quiet lane between Measham and Swepstone. There were no witnesses.

24.65 miles. 152 done this month, 2427 this year.

and today:

Did a regular route of mine on the road bike, the Belton Figure Of Eight, taking in Swannington, Griffydam and Belton. Cold again of course, but dry and not unpleasant. Not too blowy. Back just in time; I should have had lights on for the last ten minutes really.

16.28 miles.  168 in November, 2444 in 2015.

#722 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

I have now cycled, from my garage door, to four of Leicestershire's seven neighbouring counties. Leicestershire's border with Staffordshire is actually only 1km long, and if you stand in the middle of it you're only about 800m from Derbyshire, and 800m from Warwickshire as well. Not a lot of people know that.

Anyway I'll have a crack at Rutland next (which will leave Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire). But it will have to wait for warmer weather and more daylight hours than are on offer at the moment.

#723 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

Did an extended version of a familiar route through Ibstock, Heather, Swepstone, Measham, Packington. 14.21 miles. A bit puddly here and there but no deep standing water. Big blob of rain due over in a couple of hours and I think that's it for this weekend. A glance at the weather forecast suggests the November campaign may be over.

182 done this month, 2459 this year.

#724 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

Bikes and hair metal

#725 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

Cloudy but dry and mild, so the December campaign is off to a decent start with a trip to Belton and back on the hybrid, 15.26 miles. Very blowy along an exposed stretch through the farmland along Ashby Road. Actually there are at least five roads I can think of with that name around here, and probably a lot more that I can't. Ashby seems to be the Rome of the East Midlands - and why not? It has one of the most impressive 24 hour Tescos in the region.

2474 miles done this year.

#726 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

Did a different version of the Belton FO8 with the bottom of the 8 flipped. 15.6 miles. Not too cold but unpleasantly blowy in the last few miles, and getting dark.

2489 done, 31 of them this month. Very windy day forecast for tomorrow but at least it should be dry so I might just pop the big 2500 this weekend.

#727 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

50mph winds out there, but at least it's dry! I'll see if I can do those 11 miles.

#728 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

I knew it was going to be blowy out there when the wind nearly closed the garage door on me, but I couldn't resist the lure of a dry road so I went out and did the old faithful lunchtime route through Heather and Packington and back along Ashby Road. 11.56 miles. Took the road bike this time, something I haven't done for a couple of weeks.

It felt like a mistake for the first mile or so, pedalling into gusts of wind that slowed me down like putting the brakes on and made me decidedly unsteady on two wheels, but wasn't so bad after that except for an exposed stretch over Alton Hill where I had to concentrate to stay upright.

That was my 200th cycling excursion this year, and I have done 2500.98 miles. Would be nice to make it to 2600 before January. We'll see.

#729 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

Remarkably mild weather for the time of year, not windy and no rain although the roads were a bit damp, so I went out and did the Belton Figure Of Eight on the hybrid.

Going through a panty drought at the moment - haven't seen any discarded underwear by the roadside for weeks. I suppose it's a summer activity.

58 this month, pleased with that given the weather so far in December. 2517 this year. Hoping to get to 2600. With holidays coming up that seems more than likely.

#730 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

Dry enough at lunchtime and not too cold really. A bit bored with the usual routes so I cycled through Coalville and made it up from there as I went along. Dismally urban in parts but I hadn't been that way for months. 14.06 miles, 72 done in December, 2530 this year.

#731 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

Did a slightly less-pedalled route again, probably because it takes in bits of Ellistown which is a touch grim in parts. Nice enough when you get out in the open though. Dry, sunny, but not very warm. 14.19 miles; 86 this month, 2545 this year.

#732 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:26 AM

On and on James goes!  :2  thumbs up:

I did a little ride to deliver my godson's present.  1007 miles now.  Doubt I'll add to that.  Looks better than the exact 1000 I rode anyway.

#733 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

I keep moving the goalposts for myself! Hoping to get to 2600 now which I almost certainly will.

Did the Belton FO8 route modified to come back the same way through Swannington instead of Coleorton (so a sort of lasso shape). Cold, but dry enough. A bit of moisture on the roads here and there but not enough to kick up splashes. 15.03 miles. 101 done this month and 2560 this year.

#734 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

Oh and I nearly forgot, I had a close encounter with a horse. Coming back up through Swannington, I noticed a white horse trotting along the road unaccompanied in my direction. Its owner, about 100 yards behind it, gesticulated to me to "shoo him back this way". I stopped and attempted to get the horse to reverse course by gesturing toward it with outstretched hands, but he wasn't having it. I didn't press the point. Hope he's alright.

• Moving Target likes this

#735 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

Took a late lunch and did a pretty boring made-up route, nothing new or interesting. 11.41 miles. No fog or drizzle but the roads were a bit damper than I expected, so I gave the hybrid's moistened bits a rub down with some PTFE spray and an oily rag back in the garage.

Very mild out there; I didn't even take gloves and didn't miss them.

113 this month, 2571 this year.

#736 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

Did the classic lunchtime route extended through Ibstock to avoid a probably-puddly Heather Lane, 12.73 miles. Got rained on for the last 7 or so. Not a lot of fun.

2584 done in 2015, 125 this month.

#737 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

A nice dry, sunny day and unusually mild if a little fresher than yesterday (spent the day in London and couldn't believe the weather - it was actually warm). So I got out and did my favourite Saturday route down through Twycross and back up through Market Bosworth, on the hybrid. Very pleasant. I wore my ordinary woolly gloves and noticed that they seem to make my fingers go uncomfortable and numb .. I'd attributed this to the cold last time but they're obviously cutting off circulation somehow, despite not being that tight. My hands felt fine once I'd taken them off for a minute.

Anyway - 24.25 done, which takes me to 2608 miles this year and a respectable December total so far of 150. Would be nice to get to 2700 before 2016 kicks in, but that depends on the weather.

#738 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

Sunny, dry, a bit cold. I did the time-honoured Belton Figure Of Eight, with the top half of the Eight reversed. 15.69.

2624 done in 2016 and 165 this month, more than I expected for December. Eight days left!

#739 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

I did a route that takes in a number of busy A roads, thinking the roads would be dryer after this morning's rain, which they were. A nice change, and a wonderful view from Copt Oak, which is one of the highest points in Leicestershire - miles and miles of sprawling hills, fields and trees in the winter sunshine. Should have taken a camera.

Only 13.15 miles but I'd had enough by the time I got back, it's a bit cold and blowy out there.

179 this month, 2637 this year.

#740 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

Looks like I'll get a couple of hours without getting rained on today, as long as the 43mph winds don't put me off. Very mild though, about 13 degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users