25 miles today!  Not bad in 5 Celsius.

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

Another 8 miles down, 478 to go. I did use an Android cycling app (Strava) to track my ride. Worked very well. I cheated and did a couple of laps of a short circular route that's relatively flat, and was never more than 1.5 miles from home at any point.

#23 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

And another 6.5. Thought I'd done more than that. Must get my mileometer working again (has a flat CR 2032). Anyway 471.83 to go. So far in 2015 I have cycled at a rate of just over 600 miles / year.

• 2220020 and Moving Target like this

#24 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

i ride my shit to the bar. easier than getting a dui. 8 miles rt.

#25 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

What are you riding, James?

I've got a Specialized Secteur which is a long-range road cruiser.  It has 30 mm tyres, curved seat stays and polymer inserts to soak up a bit of shock.  Has disc brakes.  It's the alloy version of the full-carbon job that won Paris -Roubaix in 2011.

#26 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Can't remember what it is.. nothing special. It's a hybrid road bike / mountain bike that I got at Halfords two years ago, after my Ridgeback suffered a frame crack in an accident. Bought it because it was £100 off in a sale and at full price I think it would have been about £300. Certainly not expensive but suits my purposes nicely.

#27 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, I had a Specialized hybrid.  Got nicked from my shed.

The new one is much lighter, accelerates faster and goes uphill much more easily.

#28 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Mine is a 'Carrera Subway', one of these (but not the 2015 model, and no disk brakes):

http://www.halfords....ybrid-bike-2015

Did another 8.93 miles today, equipped with a new GPS watch! Which I don't really need I know, but I can't resist gadgets. It does work very well though and it's more convenient than the phone for basic distance recording. Agrees with Google Maps on the distance I did today to about 0.5%, encouragingly.

I've adjusted the distance of the first ride I did this year to 7.5 miles, to account (roughly) for the mileometer error. 36.33 done, 463.67 to go.

• 2220020 likes this

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

BTW I'm glad you started this thread Rob, probably wouldn't have had that 36 miles of cycling otherwise. Thanks!

• 2220020 likes this

#30 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:27 AM

Right, yours has got 27.5" wheels.  I tried to put a 700mm tube on one of them.  Bang.  Tried again with a fresh tube. Bang.  Then I learned that 27.5" is not 700 mm.  Derrrrr.

You're ahead of me James.  The weather has been so chilly that I've stayed inside.  Have to get some overshoes.....

#31 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

http://shouldiride.cc/

#32 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

Nobody gonna take my bike
I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my bike
It's gonna break the speed of sound

Ooh it's a killing machine
It's got everything
Like a bottom bracket real narrow tyres
And everything

I love it and I need it, I bleed it
Yeah, it's a wild hurricane
Alright, hold tight
I'm a cycling star

• DarthLen likes this

#33 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

Another 12.05 miles clocked up today, according to the GPS watch. Got a new battery in the speedo. It exaggerated by about 10%, but I should be able to calibrate it exactly (was set to 221cm which was a wild guess. It claimed to have travelled 13.42 miles at 12.00 miles exactly, so I believe I need to set it to 198cm).

Nice route, a few main roads on the way out, mostly countryside on the way back. A few steep hills though, but those 28MPH downhill stretches certainly eat up the miles quickly.

Nice weather for cycling. 2 degrees C but dry and bright (not sunny).

48.38 done.

#34 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

My overshoes have come so I've got no excuses at all.

#35 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

I've just been wearing regular socks and Asda trainers.. feet aren't getting cold particularly.

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Another 9.0 miles today according to Strava (and Google Maps) and it looks like my calibration arithmetic was spot on; the bike computer claimed 8.99. If I'd set it to 199cm instead of 198 my calculator tells me that it would have registered 9.03 miles, so that's as good as it's going to get!

I'd planned a 7 mile route but missed a turn. The actual route I took was nice but incorporates a shocker of a brief uphill climb that I've been trying to avoid on these recent excursions, though it wasn't too painful in the end.

So ... 57.37 down so far in 2015 which is a rate of 872 miles / year. Weather permitting I'm looking good for 500. I'll aim for 60 a month for now.

#37 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

Nice route, a few main roads on the way out, mostly countryside on the way back. A few steep hills though, but those 28MPH downhill stretches certainly eat up the miles quickly.

Fastest I ever went was 36 mph coming off Ditchling Beacon into Brighton.  By that time my back brake had failed, so I eased off.  On that slope I would have been at 50 mph in no time, and could have crashed and died!

Here are the pros descending:

Interesting to see my ex-employer Bouygues sponsoring a team.

#38 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

Sir Bradley throws his £10K Pinarello away in a fit of pique, and still manages to park it neatly.....

#39 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Should never have had a knighthood.

#40 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

I'm using the extremely simple (some might say primitive) Linux spreadsheet tool sc to record my mileage. Not nearly as well-featured as Excel, but starts instantly. And the spreadsheet file is only 670 bytes in size at the moment. Runs in a terminal window so I can edit it remotely over SSH very easily.

http://manpages.ubun.../man1/sc.1.html

cy.png

The cell in C4 tells me the rate of miles per year, based on the current time from the system clock. Last night I was doing 873 miles per year, now I'm only doing 855! Time is ticking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users