#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

I managed 750 road miles last year on the Specialized.    This year I want to do 1000.  Santa has kindly brought me a new skull-cap and a top-tube saddlebag which doubles as a phone holder, so I can use a satnav app.  No more getting lost in the Surrey Hills! 

I did the famous London-to-Brighton ride in September, which was about sixty miles when I added in riding to and from the start line.  That's the furthest I've ridden so far  Probably could have limped home and made it seventy-five for the day, but I jumped on a train for the last bit.

Annoyingly, my weight has shot up by 4 kg (that's about nine pounds for the metrically challenged) since September so I am going to stop snacking and start pedalling.

I know JARG has done a lot of road riding to get fit, and of course Huge Ackman is the local expert.

Anyone up for a CP cycling club? :)

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

I did a seventy mile round trip on my bike in 1989, but I don't think I'd try more than forty now.

• Bones likes this

#3 mmcxii

mmcxii

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

Share the road!

#4 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

I'll be happy to do 500 miles this year. Probably did 400 last year. The sun has to be out and the road has to be dry and flat for me though. Doesn't happen much in Derbyshire...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

I'll be happy to do 500 miles this year. Probably did 400 last year. The sun has to be out and the road has to be dry and flat for me though. Doesn't happen much in Derbyshire...

Serious hills though.  Lovely landscape up on the Peaks.

#6 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

I did a seventy mile round trip on my bike in 1989, but I don't think I'd try more than forty now.

Forty's comfy, but feels like a good workout.  I tried riding with a mate called Jean but she's a ultramarathoner and went banzai, getting a Pinarello bike and doing 75-100 mile rides.  i can't keep up with her.

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

I'll see if I can clock up 500 this year.

• Slim likes this

#8 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

When I was working at Nottingham University and living in Derby I used to do ten miles in a working day in all weathers.. home to Spondon station then Beeston station to the Uni, and back the same way. I think I had 30 holidays a year back then, add a couple of days "off sick" with a hangover and 8 public holidays, that's about 220 x 10 or approximately 2200 miles per year.

More than that actually because I'd sometimes cycle back to Long Eaton instead of Beeston if there was trouble on the trains. In fact once or twice I cycled the whole way home from Nottingham to Derby. Used to cycle into the city centre to go shopping from time to time, too. Call it 2300 miles a year.

#9 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

Call it 2300 miles a year.

Cool.

When training for London-Brighton I cycled from home in Hounslow to work in Brixton.  About 36 miles there and back.  Left at 6.30 a.m. and got there about 7.45.  Going was quite easy but coming back stressful because I was tired and because the denser traffic made it dangerous.

#10 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

Serious hills though.  Lovely landscape up on the Peaks.

I used to cycle up to the tops 20 years ago, but these days I head towards the flat lands of Nottinghamshire...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

On London-Brighton I managed to get up Ditchling Beacon in West Sussex (about 1 mile, between 1 in 8 and 1 in 18 gradient) in one go. Most people walk up because they have already down 45 miles by that time. 

I was in bottom gear out of eighteen all the way, though.  Some club roadies with triple rings overtook me.

It's about the fiercest hill in Sarf England, unless you go to Blackgang or Ventnor on the Isle of Wight.

#12 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

I managed 750 road miles last year on the Specialized.    This year I want to do 1000.  Santa has kindly brought me a new skull-cap and a top-tube saddlebag which doubles as a phone holder, so I can use a satnav app.  No more getting lost in the Surrey Hills! 

I did the famous London-to-Brighton ride in September, which was about sixty miles when I added in riding to and from the start line.  That's the furthest I've ridden so far  Probably could have limped home and made it seventy-five for the day, but I jumped on a train for the last bit.

Annoyingly, my weight has shot up by 4 kg (that's about nine pounds for the metrically challenged) since September so I am going to stop snacking and start pedalling.

I know JARG has done a lot of road riding to get fit, and of course Huge Ackman is the local expert.

Anyone up for a CP cycling club? :)

It wasn't due to cycling that I lost the majority of the weight that I did. It was due to counting calories and circuit training.

Cycling in eastern NC was a dream -- miles and miles of paved roads with very little traffic and relatively flat terrain. Cycling in western WA is a nightmare by comparison. Very hilly terrain and way too much traffic on far fewer roads.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#13 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

It wasn't due to cycling that I lost the majority of the weight that I did. It was due to counting calories and circuit training.

Cycling in eastern NC was a dream -- miles and miles of paved roads with very little traffic and relatively flat terrain. Cycling in western WA is a nightmare by comparison. Very hilly terrain and way too much traffic on far fewer roads.

Yeah, it's more about diet than anything else.....

The roads round London generally have bad tarmac full of potholes and there is far too much traffic of course.

#14 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, it's more about diet than anything else.....

The roads round London generally have bad tarmac full of potholes and there is far too much traffic of course.

Amsterdam has the right idea:

photos-220.jpg
  • Moving Target likes this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#15 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Yep, Cambridge is the same.  

#16 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Went out on the first cycling excursion of 2015, and got bitten by a dog. Failed to take a turn at the end of a lane and went onto a farm. Had just stopped to turn round when OW! Something that looked like a cross between a dobermann and a labrador had helped itself to a mouthful of leg just below the right knee.

It was just a warning nip though I'm sure and it didn't draw blood. Could have done a lot more damage if it wanted. When I shouted at it, more as a reaction than a conscious decision, it retreated with a comedically guilty expression. I left quickly after that though.

Anyway .. 8.27 miles down, 491.73 to go. I may have to adjust that though as I think the mileometer on my cycle computer exaggerates a bit.

Roughly a mile a day so far in 2015 but considering the time of year and my stage of fitness (haven't been out on it for months) I'd say I'm ahead of schedule.

• 2220020 and Moving Target like this

#17 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Get a Garmin, James.  I think the most basic is £70 (it works out speed and distance and remembers your route, which you can upload to your bigger devices) and there are dearer ones with satnavs.

#18 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Get a Garmin, James.  I think the most basic is £70 (it works out speed and distance and remembers your route, which you can upload to your bigger devices) and there are dearer ones with satnavs.

Alternately you can just put an app on your smartphone that'll do the same thing and many of those apps are free.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#19 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

I had thought of that. I could also get one of those running watches. But the bike computer can be adjusted and it works very well other than slight inaccuracy (which might be the wheel rather than the computer anyway) so I'll sort it out.

Another 5.4 miles today (I don't like to get it out of the garage for less than 8 or so normally but it was blowing a very chilly gale out there). 486.33 to go.

I might try for 750 I think, actually. I'll see if I can get it up to 80 or so this month.

#20 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

I had one of those gadgets with the wire and the wheel magnets.  I calibrated it on the disused 400m running track nearby.  But it was reading too low.  Hang on - I thought, Mo Farrar doesn't run round the outside of the track, he runs round the inside.  So I calibrated it again and it was just about perfect after than

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users