#1 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I'm posting this here, because if I post it on Facebook my wife will think I'm doing it just to spite her.

KPkCa4H.jpg

• OldRUSHfan and A Rebel and a Runner like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about orgasms.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

falconext.png

#3 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

Depending on the situation, I imagine going orgasmic could drain your bank account, too.

• OldRUSHfan, RushDoggie and SJS like this

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#4 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

True. But it seems like a lot more fun.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

falconext.png

#5 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:55 AM

Depending on the situation, I imagine going orgasmic could drain your bank account, too.

It's the verb "drain" that made this absolute genius.
  • OldRUSHfan and RushDoggie like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#6 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

I always thought food was organic to begin with, I guess it`s back to chemistry class.

• SJS likes this

Proud Knobhead

#7 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

A number of years back Karen and I tried buying the majority of our food at Whole Foods.  Lasted about two weeks before Karen got fed up with the dollar amounts.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#8 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

More power to ya if you want to spend a bit more for something that is arguably better in some way, whether it be lower/no pesticide residue, better nutritional value(questionable in many cases), or simply supporting more enviro friendly growing methods...modern, high efficiency ag is not very kind to the environment, dead zones in the gulf of Mexico but one example...

so you and the missus debate over GMO's and "organics"???

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

You need to be careful with Whole Foods - they do sell stuff that's non-organic. You'd be surprised how much. And how much more they charge for same, than your local supermarket chain.

falconext.png

#10 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

I was very pro-organic at one point until I learned there was no science proving it was better.  Also don't get in the trap of thinking that organic farming is a more sustainable practice.  The two are completely unrelated.  What I do dislike is oiled and waxed fruits and vegetables.  When I want the zest of an orange or lemon, I don't want wax, I want zest.

Where I think organic may count is in infants and perhaps people who are allergic to everything.  For the rest of us, it will just drain your wallet.  It's a phony status symbol.

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

#11 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:27 AM

I think organic fruits and veggies are usually a waste but "organic" meats are worth it.  They're more likely to be treated more humanely (even if just a little), there are are fewer hormones and other additives, and goddammit they just taste better.  Sure, could be cognitive dissonance but I don't think so.  Worth the extra money IMO.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:32 AM

We started going there not to be organic per-se, but because my wife developed severe intolerances to high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors... yellow 5, blue 10... etc.   So the solution was to start shopping at Whole Foods for stuff that's not tainted.

We found some things, but ended up surprised when reading labels there.....   

She's better now, specifically staying away from those additives.

Do you guys know that they put Yellow 5 in some varieties of red lipstick???   Go figure. Egg Nog too.... so it's more yellow...

falconext.png

#13 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

A little pesticide residue never killed anyone...

Hey...where's Perry?

#14 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:50 AM

I think organic fruits and veggies are usually a waste but "organic" meats are worth it.  They're more likely to be treated more humanely (even if just a little), there are are fewer hormones and other additives, and goddammit they just taste better.  Sure, could be cognitive dissonance but I don't think so.  Worth the extra money IMO.

Yes, it's interesting you mention that.  Meats are very bland and flavorless these days.  That's because the animal literally gets no space to move around.  You'll see a whole trend towards grass-fed meats as well.  While that may or may not be a factor, the biggest factor is how much moving around the animal does.  If it moves around, builds a little lactic acid up every so often it tastes "gamier" but in beef, chickens, etc, that is a mild but amazing flavor.  Organic farms may or may not do that, though some do.  Grass or grain fed doesn't matter as much as letting the animal move.

#15 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

Organic has pretty much nothing to do with nutritional value.  No pesticides, no chemical fertilizers, no antibiotics/growth hormones, and non-GMO...  Yes.  I pick and choose my battles as I can't afford an all organic lifestyle.  It's also good to do some research because there are plenty of foods that naturally require less "additives", and therefore aren't worth buying organic.  Other side of that coin, some foods are more commonly heavily treated, and therefore probably worth the extra scratch.  

Any way you slice it, our whole food system has become a tragic mess here in the US.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#16 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Grass or grain fed doesn't matter as much as letting the animal move.

Not true at all, they're matter equally.  Diet is critical to the taste of the meat.  We feed EVERYTHING corn, because of it high caloric content (fat and sugar) and the mild flavor it imparts to the meat.  Cattle that eat grass taste way different, pigs that eat peanuts, acorns, or chestnuts take on different traits from all of the above, and chickens that scavenge naturally also taste very different.  Combine "free range" with a proper diet and then we're talking REAL flavor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users