Photo

Rush at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Live Updates (Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Video I got of the Foo's playing 2112. Sadly my phone ran out of space prior to the end of Overture. I should have gone through and deleted stuff once they took away my camera at the door. LOL

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#42 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

I guess technically Alex "could have".

The Rush fans LOVED Alex's speech, vintage Alex. Even some Heart fans around me thought it was great. The rest of the room, not sure what they thought.

It was an epic night. The only WTF moment for me was Flava Flave. I'm a fan of PE, and of Flav, but he probably went on for 20 minutes of nonsense which probably caused me to miss the last train of the night and have to burn $40 on a Taxi to get back to my car. I already tweeted hm that he owes me $40. ;)

I'm uploading pics and vids from my phone now. I'll try and share some later. Didn't get home until 2am and I have 4 hours of conference calls coming up. This should be fun.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

So, who from Heart got in besides the Wilsons?

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#43 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Looked like the whole band got in. But only one of them really spoke other than Anne and Nancy. I'm sure others may know more.

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#44 snow_patrol

snow_patrol

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Alex's speach was perfect.

#45 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Looked like the whole band got in. But only one of them really spoke other than Anne and Nancy. I'm sure others may know more.

Found it - looks like the original lineup. From Rockhall.com

Inductees:  Ann Wilson (vocals, guitar, flute; born June 19, 1950), Nancy Wilson (vocals, guitar, mandolin; born March 16, 1954), Roger Fisher (guitar; born February 14, 1950), Steve Fossen (bass; born November 15, 1949), Howard Leese (keyboards, synthesizer, guitar; born June 13, 1951), Michael DeRosier (drums; born August 24, 1951)

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#46 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Alex is my hero. LMAO.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#47 River Alph

River Alph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

It's on YouTube:

when did WC Fields join the band??

those are some gin blossums

#48 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Good article here on some behind the scenes comments.

Dave Grohl stood outside his dressing room, still wearing the vintage white kimono he sported as the Foo Fighters nailed "Overture." "It's terrifying to play your favorite song in front of your favorite band," he said. "It's one thing to sit in the basement to sit in the basement and woodshed 2112, and it's another to stand in front of Rush in a fucking kimono and a wig. Tonight was one of the most special nights of my life."

Grohl's biggest moment? "I met Neil Peart for the first time at rehearsal. This man was as influential to me as any religion. And he said, 'So nice to meet you, can I make you a coffee?' And he made me a coffee. Later on that night, I went to dinner and had a couple glasses of wine and I started fucking crying, because my hero made me a coffee."

[Sounds like he might have had more than just a couple!]

As Mayer stepped into his Escalade, he was still blown away by Rush's fans, who cheered the band for several minutes when Hall of Fame Chairman Jann S. Wenner's mentioned the a "band from Toronto." "Man, I want Rush fans to come to my shows now, that is some fandom," Mayer told Rolling Stone. "If you're a Rush fan, you should get in any show free."

Even Rush were surprised by their fan turnout. "They went nuts," said Geddy Lee backstage. "We were totally surprised. I had no idea our fans would dominate the crowd tonight."

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#49 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Simply awesome!! :D :D :D

#50 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Did the crowd do the 1812 cannon "HEY", during the Foo's Overture?

#51 dobegrrrl

dobegrrrl

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Did the crowd do the 1812 cannon "HEY", during the Foo's Overture?

Yes they did (saw it on YouTube donchaknow but it was probably recorded from the Rush section). 

Alex's "speech" was funny for a sec, would have been funnier if it was shorter.

#52 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

My thoughts on last night. 

In addition to Rush there were long overdo inductions for Heart, Randy Newman, Albert King, Producer Lou Adler, Donna Summer and a head-scratching induction for Quincy Jones who should have easily been in decades ago. Rounding out the list was the great Public Enemy who is absolutely deserving (IMO) but their induction wasn't as long coming as the others honored last night.

Sadly the no camera policy was strictly in play last night and I had to check my camera. So all of these pictures are from my iPhone.

Some thoughts on the overall night. Epic. Plain and simple. As not just a fan of Rush but a fan of music in general seeing so many artists (not just the inductees) that I've grown up with was really awesome. If you ever get a chance to go to one of these induction concerts I highly recommend it. From what I understand it's going to continue to rotate between NY, LA and Cleveland where the Rock Hall is.

I wasn't going to go until the day before I found a $50 ticket. Good thing about Nokia in LA is there isn't a bad seat. I was in the last row. The VERY last row. But as you'll see below, the seats were actually not bad still.

Welcome to the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
IMG_2783-L.jpg

Hello from the party row, otherwise known as the back row
IMG_2786-L.jpg

I mean THE BACK ROW. That's a wall behind me.
IMG_2789-L.jpg

Jann Wenner doing his opening speech. He received a less than favorable ovation from the crowd which was largely Rush fans.
IMG_2792-L.jpg

The show opened with Randy Newman's induction and him singing "I Love LA". Joining Randy on stage were Tom Petty, Jackson Browne and John Fogerty.
IMG_2797-L.jpg

IMG_2799-L.jpg

IMG_2802-L.jpg

Next up was Lou Adlers induction by Cheech and Chong. Lou Adler is a fantastic producer. As he put it during his speech he's better known as "The guy with the white hat and beard that sits next to Jack Nicholson" (at Lakers games)

Carole King sang "So Far Away" as part of Lou's induction. I remember growing up with Carole King thanks to my Mom. I hated it at the time but I've grown to appreciate the music she introduced me to. It was truly a great moment.
IMG_2805-L.jpg

Next John Mayer inducted Albert King who was LONG overdo for this honor
IMG_2809-L.jpg

After Albert King's induction Donna Summer got her induction. This was another artist introduced to me by my Mom. I was never a fan per-se but I certainly appreciated her talent. Jennifer Hudson sang as part of her induction.
IMG_2813-L.jpg

- Gregg

#53 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Up next was Quincy Jones induction. I honestly thought he was getting some kind of lifetime achievement award or something and not his initial induction into the HoF. This is obviously an induction that was LONG overdo.

Oprah inducting Quincy. "You get an induction, You get an induction!!!" Sadly there was nothing under our seats. :(
IMG_2816-L.jpg

Usher singing "Rock with You" as part of Quincy's induction
IMG_2819-L.jpg

Spike Lee inducting Public Enemy
IMG_2823-L.jpg

FLAVA FLAVE ... who actually owes me $40 now. As he can, his speech just rambled on with no point for probably 20 minutes. This in-turn caused me to miss the last train of the night and had to spend $40 on a cab back to my car.  :lmao:
IMG_2826-L.jpg

Public Enemy performing. Sadly, Anthrax didn't come out and play Bring The Noise with them
IMG_2827-L.jpg

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden inducting Heart
IMG_2831-L.jpg

Heart performing with Chris Cornell and Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains
IMG_2833-L.jpg

- Gregg

#54 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Last but not least, Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins from Foo Fighters inducting Rush
IMG_2842-L.jpg

Geddy Lee from Rush
IMG_2843-L.jpg

I wish I had gotten video of it, but Alex Lifeson of Rush gave what was probably the greatest speech ever. Rush fans will know Alex's sense of humor and they "got it". I don't think the rest of the room did.

Rush performed Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio
IMG_2848-L.jpg

IMG_2850-L.jpg

IMG_2852-L.jpg

The Final Jam. Rush, Heart, Public Enemy, John Mayer, Foo Fighters, John Fogerty, Gary Clark Jr, Chris Cornell, Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) playing Crossroads
IMG_2853-L.jpg

IMG_2856-L.jpg

IMG_2858-L.jpg

Truly an epic night. So glad I got the chance to go. Hope you all enjoyed reading about it.

• scott14 likes this

- Gregg

#55 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

^^ Very cool. Thanks for the run down.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#56 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thank you. THose are great pictures. :)

#57 Marathoner

Marathoner

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well played, Alex, well played...

#58 snow_patrol

snow_patrol

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Awesome blow by blow coverage from last night.  Thanks for posting your pictures and thoughts.  If I still lived in SoCal I think I would have gone. This was definatly a once in a life time type of thing.

I loved Alex's speach.  Yes it did run a little long but I got the gist of what he was trying to say. 

#59 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

During tonights Red  Sox vs. Indians game Joe Castigliano mentioned RUSH going in the Hall of Fame today and Rush music was playing  on and off thru the game..   ALTHO he said he was not a FAN but people he grew up with are.

He did however say he thought they deserved it. Mentioning also what a huge baseball fan Geddy lee was and how much memorabilia he has donated to the Negro  Leagues baseball museum.

:D

dayum!! i had the game on but the volume down as i was on the phone almost the whole time! grrr...now i have to find the rebroadcast and tape it. what inning was it abouts?

ok brainfart, can't get a rebroadcast of radio!! damn.......

too much on my plate these days! i only listen to baseball on radio if i'm not home- if i'm home it's on the tv so i missed it alltogether. boo.

I was over my dads...he thinks im crazy.  haha He's 83..doesnt care for RUSH. It was close to the 7th inning maybe. 

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#60 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

so was it really 5 full minutes of blah,blah,blah??? Heh...tested everyones patience, eh??? heh...

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users