#2 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I've always liked him.  He is the face of fair and balanced and tells it like it is no matter what side of the issue.  If others get sick from these care workers that would be the game changer...

• grep likes this

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

I've always liked him.  He is the face of fair and balanced and tells it like it is no matter what side of the issue.  If others get sick from these care workers that would be the game changer...

Yes, that's true.  What you have to remember about healthcare workers are that they are just ordinary people.  They are a few paychecks from being out on the streets like we all are, and they've got family to care for.  They might take a risk unbecoming of a healthcare worker, like go on a plane, or mishandle something because they are only human.  The protocols hospitals largely have in use handling body fluids comes from the HIV/AIDS era which has a very low infection rate compared to Ebola.  In other words the risk from mishandling usually resulted in a negative test for HIV, but with Ebola the opposite is true.  It's like sending them into to war with a knife.  The first people, in the ER, likely aren't going to be as ready as they will once the patient moves to the isolation ward. 

#4 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

My main exposure to Shepherd Smith is clips of him being weird and talking about his favorite TV show on The Soup, so imagine my surprise when this clip was articulate, thoughtful, and very non partisan.

Good job, Shep. Go watch you some True Blood.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yes, that's true.  What you have to remember about healthcare workers are that they are just ordinary people.  They are a few paychecks from being out on the streets like we all are, and they've got family to care for.  They might take a risk unbecoming of a healthcare worker, like go on a plane, or mishandle something because they are only human.  The protocols hospitals largely have in use handling body fluids comes from the HIV/AIDS era which has a very low infection rate compared to Ebola.  In other words the risk from mishandling usually resulted in a negative test for HIV, but with Ebola the opposite is true.  It's like sending them into to war with a knife.  The first people, in the ER, likely aren't going to be as ready as they will once the patient moves to the isolation ward. 

Maybe just maybe the process changes we get out of this will help with staph infections and the like - which is a decent sized problem in hospitals these days.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#6 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

My main exposure to Shepherd Smith is clips of him being weird and talking about his favorite TV show on The Soup, so imagine my surprise when this clip was articulate, thoughtful, and very non partisan.

Good job, Shep. Go watch you some True Blood.

I've always found him an odd duck myself.  This is definitely a point in his favor though.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#7 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Life is so much better spent in a panic generated by the media, though.  Just take a look around...see how awesome it is?

And he'll be fired soon.  

#8 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

Life is so much better spent in a panic generated by the media, though. Just take a look around...see how awesome it is?

You can make a fortune selling Ebola insurance!

Hey...where's Perry?

#9 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

haha...I should look into that.  ;)

#10 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

Maybe just maybe the process changes we get out of this will help with staph infections and the like - which is a decent sized problem in hospitals these days.

That's the thing, little bits of changing medical practice have reaped huge rewards as things have progressed in even the last two hundred years.

Look up Ignaz Semmelweis some time, and see how his simple but revolutionary solution to fixing infant and pregnant mothers' mortality (Wash your hands before/after delivering babies, doctors!) was SLOW to be accepted by the medical community.

Now, that was over 150 years ago, but it's worth noting that little changes as simple as that have brought greater and greater levels of safety.  But we can always do better, either in terms of adhering to best practices or figuring out better ones.  As we tackle tougher and tougher diseases, if we want to keep making things better, we have to keep rethinking how we handle dangerous infectious diseases.

• grep likes this

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

That's the thing, little bits of changing medical practice have reaped huge rewards as things have progressed in even the last two hundred years.

Look up Ignaz Semmelweis some time, and see how his simple but revolutionary solution to fixing infant and pregnant mothers' mortality (Wash your hands before/after delivering babies, doctors!) was SLOW to be accepted by the medical community.

Now, that was over 150 years ago, but it's worth noting that little changes as simple as that have brought greater and greater levels of safety.  But we can always do better, either in terms of adhering to best practices or figuring out better ones.  As we tackle tougher and tougher diseases, if we want to keep making things better, we have to keep rethinking how we handle dangerous infectious diseases.

Agree completely. We can't get complacent, if not for any other reason, then we do it because the germs and viruses themselves evolve and resist.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#12 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

Nope, he works for Fox, therefore he is a liar.

Oh sorry, I was channeling StLobster there. 

Didn't someone once say something about never letting the facts get in the way of a good story, or some shit like that?

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#13 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:36 AM

It was refreshing seeing that coming from someone at Fox News. Though today, while visiting my brother's auto garage, he had Fox News on and the entire 40 minutes I was there, all they talked about was the ebola scare.

#14 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:44 AM

It's breaking a general trend.

(Note: the article I just linked is LONG, with many links.  It'll take a while to read, especially if you follow all the links, but it's worth a read.)

#15 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

It was refreshing seeing that coming from someone at Fox News. Though today, while visiting my brother's auto garage, he had Fox News on and the entire 40 minutes I was there, all they talked about was the ebola scare.

They aren't giving away ratings.  They wouldn't be able to live down being beat by CNN or MSNBC...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#16 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

And that's the problem with for-profit news.

The other networks are being irresponsible, so we have to be, as well, to get ratings!

Your job as a news organization is to inform the public, not generate ratings.

Fuck CNN for this modern paradigm.  They started it.

• RushDoggie likes this

#17 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

And that's the problem with for-profit news.

The other networks are being irresponsible, so we have to be, as well, to get ratings!

Your job as a news organization is to inform the public, not generate ratings.

Fuck CNN for this modern paradigm.  They started it.

+1

LYqbjSn.jpg

#18 mmcxii

mmcxii

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Vaccinations cause autism.

#19 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

Vaccinations cause autism.

Huh...

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#20 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

Huh...

Google Jenny McCarthy and vaccinations. You'll get way more info than you'd probably care to.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users