#1 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

OK, so, I can donwload from DIME nice and speedy, no issues, but I can't upload worth a damn. Trying to keep my share ratio in line, I always leave the torrent up and running after I DL, but it just won't go; I've tested the uTorrent settings innumerable times, it always says it's good, but still....upload speeds at a snail's pace.  Anybody got any help/ideas for a fairly computer illiterate?  Grazie.

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Try with a brand new torrent and see what happens.

It's possible that with older items, that there is less opportunity to upload. New ones should have lots of peers looking to download from the swarm.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#3 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

Try with a brand new torrent and see what happens.

It's possible that with older items, that there is less opportunity to upload. New ones should have lots of peers looking to download from the swarm.

Should have mentioned that it was a new torrent, from a show Saturday night - 9/20. Going to go back and take a look when I get home tonight.

#4 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, torrents don't auto-upload to those sites. Your seeds are tapped in to as actual folks leech them. Unpopular torrents, while bolstering your collection and making torrenting shows worth it personally, will hurt your ratio if that's all you leech.

On sites such as Dime I make a habit of downloading something very large and popular, like a 5 DVD Greatful Dead show or something, even though I'll never watch it. Covers the size of all those Rush boots that I may very well be the last leecher for, ever.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#5 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

Newness doesn't always ensure activity. Most sites will have some way to gauge how active torrents are. Go for something big and active, then let it sit.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#6 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

a 5 DVD Greatful Dead show or something, even though I'll never watch it.

*cough* *wink* *smile* *nod*

987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#7 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, torrents don't auto-upload to those sites. Your seeds are tapped in to as actual folks leech them. Unpopular torrents, while bolstering your collection and making torrenting shows worth it personally, will hurt your ratio if that's all you leech.
On sites such as Dime I make a habit of downloading something very large and popular, like a 5 DVD Greatful Dead show or something, even though I'll never watch it. Covers the size of all those Rush boots that I may very well be the last leecher for, ever.

I do that to some extent too. May have overdone it over the years though... I've got a 3.49 Dime ratio lately.

I also seed stuff for a long time... It's the right thing to do.

#8 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Should have mentioned that it was a new torrent, from a show Saturday night - 9/20. Going to go back and take a look when I get home tonight.

It could also be port settings... Your router firewall isn't allowing people to connect to you, to download from you.

There are tutorials that explain it better than I can here... Just Google for utorrent port settings. Or utorrent firewall settings.

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

like a 5 blu ray Rush ca$h grab or something, I'll never watch it.

• Slut Puppy likes this

#10 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

I agree with grep, might be a firewall. I can never fully grasp how to set that up but I also don't sweat my share ratio anymore. Not that I grab and run but upload speeds are a lot slower than d/l so I do what I can but if someone is going to rip on me for my 0.67 share ratio, I can always counter with the fact I've uploaded original torrents of my own, some nice and previously uncirculated things, some nice vinyl rips too - so there :P 

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#11 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Your router needs to be setup for port forwarding. This site shows how to setup pretty much every router out there. You select your router then the program you are using and it gives you a step-by-step guide.

http://portforward.c...routerindex.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users