#21 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

I was at a start-up company and we had an idiot VP of finance who depised Windows so much he refused to by MS or use products.  All of our desk computers were top of the line iMacs, the internal servers were Mac, PDAs, etc.   He was obsessed about it, that bordered on the deranged....(he even wore a t-shirt, "Windows Sucks")

Unfortunately for him all of our lab equipment and lab computers was MS based, our production equipment MS based, our customers used MS products, you name it....

He had to spend thousands on emulators and special data and mail servers, that would always crash....losing time and money and clients.  But it didn`t matter to him....

I still don`t get it actually.... :blink:

The accountant was probably crying over that costly decision.  So let me get this straight.  We want to spend five times as much to make a non windows computer act like a windows computer so we don't have to have windows?  Got it...

• Planet X-1 likes this

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'm an Apple hater, except for the phones.  Just a lot less kluge factor.  The Samsungs and Androids I've evaled just didn't seem, well, "finished".  The iPhone just works flawlessly and the standards for apps are much higher.  It's a scenario where you want the company that makes your device to own the whole vertical. Phones need to be more reliable than many other consumer computing devices.

#23 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

The accountant was probably crying over that costly decision.  So let me get this straight.  We want to spend five times as much to make a non windows computer act like a windows computer so we don't have to have windows?  Got it...

Unfortunately he was the accountant too and expert on everything   - Anyway small biotech statup where time and money is everything for survival.   Didn`t care though....

Proud Knobhead

#24 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'm an Apple hater, except for the phones.  Just a lot less kluge factor.  The Samsungs and Androids I've evaled just didn't seem, well, "finished".  The iPhone just works flawlessly and the standards for apps are much higher.  It's a scenario where you want the company that makes your device to own the whole vertical. Phones need to be more reliable than many other consumer computing devices.

I actually the iMacs, I thought they were easy to work with and didn`t crash.  In the work environment they`re good for word processing and listening to music....but not much else.

Proud Knobhead

#25 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

I still believe in the Mac OS.  In all the time I owned Apples, (IIc, then the Mac Performa in '96, then a tower in '97, G4 in 2000, and finally a middle G4, which still works fine, but I refuse to buy the CD to bring the OS up to date.....$$$$.  In all that time, I was NEVER hacked, 1 blue screen on the G4 but I believe that was my fault...NO viruses.....i've had a few viruses on the Wimpdows machines but I got help shutting those down.....I can't afford Apple anymore.... :(

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#26 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Remember, ORF, that things like viruses aren't more prevalent on Windows than Mac because Mac is inherently more secure or anything like that.  

It's a case of market share. The people developing viruses target the more common target to get more bang for their buck.  So few people use Macs that it's not worth it to develop good viruses for them.

• grep, OldRUSHfan and Planet X-1 like this

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

I was at a start-up company and we had an idiot VP of finance who depised Windows so much he refused to by MS or use products.  All of our desk computers were top of the line iMacs, the internal servers were Mac, PDAs, etc.   He was obsessed about it, that bordered on the deranged....(he even wore a t-shirt, "Windows Sucks")

Unfortunately for him all of our lab equipment and lab computers was MS based, our production equipment MS based, our customers used MS products, you name it....

He had to spend thousands on emulators and special data and mail servers, that would always crash....losing time and money and clients.  But it didn`t matter to him....

I still don`t get it actually.... :blink:

Jesus_mac.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION

Talk about a true believer.

• Planet X-1 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the blue screen of death, I will fear no Windows...."

~ Psalms 3.1

bluescreen_zpsf35bef64.jpg

• Planet X-1 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#29 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Jesus_mac.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION

Talk about a true believer.

You have no idea how close you are.....;)

Proud Knobhead

#30 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

A bit about iPhone security, given the fact that in iOS8 Apple does not possess the keys to unlock your data or the ability to give it to a government.  A lot of this is brand new thanks to the encryption and how it is handled in iOS 8.  I can't see any company implementing Android at this point in the game.  Eat this iPhone haters:

A message from Tim Cook about Apple’s commitment to your privacy.

At Apple, your trust means everything to us. That’s why we respect your privacy and protect it with strong encryption, plus strict policies that govern how all data is handled.

Security and privacy are fundamental to the design of all our hardware, software, and services, including iCloud and new services like Apple Pay. And we continue to make improvements. Two-step verification, which we encourage all our customers to use, in addition to protecting your Apple ID account information, now also protects all of the data you store and keep up to date with iCloud.

We believe in telling you up front exactly what’s going to happen to your personal information and asking for your permission before you share it with us. And if you change your mind later, we make it easy to stop sharing with us. Every Apple product is designed around those principles. When we do ask to use your data, it’s to provide you with a better user experience.

We’re publishing this website to explain how we handle your personal information, what we do and don’t collect, and why. We’re going to make sure you get updates here about privacy at Apple at least once a year and whenever there are significant changes to our policies.

A few years ago, users of Internet services began to realize that when an online service is free, you’re not the customer. You’re the product. But at Apple, we believe a great customer experience shouldn’t come at the expense of your privacy.

Our business model is very straightforward: We sell great products. We don’t build a profile based on your email content or web browsing habits to sell to advertisers. We don’t “monetize” the information you store on your iPhone or in iCloud. And we don’t read your email or your messages to get information to market to you. Our software and services are designed to make our devices better. Plain and simple.

One very small part of our business does serve advertisers, and that’s iAd. We built an advertising network because some app developers depend on that business model, and we want to support them as well as a free iTunes Radio service. iAd sticks to the same privacy policy that applies to every other Apple product. It doesn’t get data from Health and HomeKit, Maps, Siri, iMessage, your call history, or any iCloud service like Contacts or Mail, and you can always just opt out altogether.

Finally, I want to be absolutely clear that we have never worked with any government agency from any country to create a backdoor in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed access to our servers. And we never will.

Our commitment to protecting your privacy comes from a deep respect for our customers. We know that your trust doesn’t come easy. That’s why we have and always will work as hard as we can to earn and keep it.

Tim

Our commitment to customer privacy doesn’t stop because of a government information request.

Government information requests are a consequence of doing business in the digital age. We believe in being as transparent as the law allows about what information is requested from us. In addition, Apple has never worked with any government agency from any country to create a “back door” in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed any government access to our servers. And we never will.

What we’re most commonly asked for and how we respond.

The most common requests we receive for information come from law enforcement in the form of either a Device Request or an Account Request. Our legal team carefully reviews each request, ensuring it is accompanied by valid legal process. All content requests require a search warrant. If we are legally compelled to divulge any information and it is not counterproductive to the facts of the case, we provide notice to the customer when allowed and deliver the narrowest set of information possible in response. National security-related requests are not considered Device Requests or Account Requests and are reported in a separate category altogether.

On devices running iOS 8, your personal data such as photos, messages (including attachments), email, contacts, call history, iTunes content, notes, and reminders is placed under the protection of your passcode. Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data. So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8.

https://www.apple.com/privacy/

#31 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the blue screen of death, I will fear no Windows...."

~ Psalms 3.1

bluescreen_zpsf35bef64.jpg

This reminds me of those UNISYS commercials from the late 90's.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#32 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#33 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

I see the hordes waiting in lines overnight for one of these glistening epitomes of all that is wrong with the world and think "a fool and his money are soon parted".

• MrSkeptic likes this
Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#34 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

Just a head's up - yesterday I traded up for a new LG G3.  This phone is a legit tablet ("phablet"?) and almost computer at this stage in the app creation game, while weighing nearly nothing.  My prior Razr M was problem free over the past 2 years, very solid hardware and Android operating system.  I use it for personal and business, so I get a lot of mileage out of my phones.  As someone expected to support ALL smartphone products, it's my opinion that there's virtually ZERO functionality difference between most of the top tier smartphones, regardless of their manufacturer and operating system of choice.  It's simply a thing people focus their empty pathetic lives on, like cars and other distractions (yes, even music).  Coke vs Pepsi.  Reebok vs Nike.  Materialism is religion in 'Merica.

Amazing what I've witnessed in the smartphone evolution in the past 12+ years I've been an early adopting smartphone user.  Heck, it wasn't that long ago I was trading in my Palm Treo.  Remember Windows CE?  OMG we've come so far with these things.  I guess I'm saying, it's all relative.  Left the Verizon store yesterday uttering the words "there wasn't a single bad phone in there".  Even the free with contract phones were good.

• grep likes this
Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users