#21 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

I've got a 2 router setup and I keep the wifi disabled on the second one.  (long story about switiching to my new ISP and not wanting to mess with my home network setup, hence 2 routers)

But anyway. I've been known to taunt my neighbor with the second SSID.

LIke "MOW_YOUR_LAWN_JONNY" or "JOHN_YELLS_AT_WIFEY".   

You know that when people come over his house, that SSID has to pop up on their phones.... LOL. No way to know it's me.... I keep the power on the second transmitter at 75% so it doesn't have as many bars as the one i use.

That's funny!  One of my neighbors has: DontStealMeBro...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#22 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:23 AM

I already have Get_Off_My_Conn ! lol I will change it to something more meanacing. 
my first problem was that since they have cable tv with us, they can get info they need. but i did set up a pw from the beginning- but since they had access to the cable tv, they could get it. I did change the PW for that, but then they were still able to just get on the internet. spoke at length with verizon and they showed me how to block IP, which worked until they just shut off their devices and then turn it back on. So then they showed me how to block the MAC address. Now i see them on my list, but they have been "inactive" for over 24 hours now, so i'm thinking it worked. That said, our internet access upstairs is being often interrupted and i'm wondering if it's because they keep trying to get on...?

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#23 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

If you use Mac filtering they won't be able to connect. You would only be authorizing the devices you approve. Regardless if they could change MAC address they couldn't change to one you've predetermined

#24 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

that's what i think they figured out how to do, change their MAC. 

if i banned their MAC addies, why are they on my network list, saying status: 'active'? does that mean they're on anyways? or is my system just picking up that their device is on, but not necessarily connected?

Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

#25 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

Sure seems like you just need to change your password.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#26 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

we have. they just get right on. unless- they aren't- but like i said above, they show up on my list and under 'status' it says 'active'...it's possible they aren't actually active on my system, but are active via some other way- i don't know.

for example, here's one of them, i x'd out the ip:

PC Name: downstairsTablet   Connection Type: Wireless IP Address: x Status: Active

#27 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

i am also still trying to see where i can make my connection invisible, and i can't find where to do that

#28 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Did you enable the MAC filter?
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#29 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

DustoftheStars, on 15 Sept 2014 - 10:09, said:
i am also still trying to see where i can make my connection invisible, and i can't find where to do that

For my router there is a screen called Channel and SSID, and there is a checkbox on the screen called Broadcast SSID. Checked mean it's on, unchecked means it's off.

But unless you change the name, turning off broadcast won't do you much good as your downstairs neighbors already know what it's called and can just type it in manually.

You DO have your router security settings set up so that you must enter an admin password, right? This is different from the password needed to connect to your network.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#30 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

that's what i think they figured out how to do, change their MAC. 

if i banned their MAC addies, why are they on my network list, saying status: 'active'? does that mean they're on anyways? or is my system just picking up that their device is on, but not necessarily connected?

You need not ban MAC addies

You need to set up MAC filtering so that it only allows your MAC addresses to connect.  Every time you add a new device, you must enter the MAC address in the router.

What is the make/model of router you have?

#31 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

You need to set up MAC filtering so that it only allows your MAC addresses to connect.

Right. Think of it as an "only these devices can connect" list.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#32 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

In which case, they'd have to sniff the right macs, kick a legitimate node, then spoof an allowed Mac to get on your network. Few people will bother with all that.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#33 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

You need not ban MAC addies

You need to set up MAC filtering so that it only allows your MAC addresses to connect.  Every time you add a new device, you must enter the MAC address in the router.

What is the make/model of router you have?

In which case, they'd have to sniff the right macs, kick a legitimate node, then spoof an allowed Mac to get on your network. Few people will bother with all that.

oooooooooh-kay...i thought i had to ban IPs, then i was told MAC, not just list only my devices. that's the easiest way to do it, yeesh. 

ok, router is verizon audiotech  atheros ar9285...er...does that help?

#34 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

oooooooooh-kay...i thought i had to ban IPs, then i was told MAC, not just list only my devices. that's the easiest way to do it, yeesh. 

ok, router is verizon audiotech  atheros ar9285...er...does that help?

Atheros ar9285 sounds like a wireless adapter in your laptop.

If it's a verizon-provided router, just call customer service

Ask them how to configure Mac filtering in your home because you suspect theft of service.

#35 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

yes, it's a router verizon gave us. i'll ask them how to filter, but they probably have me flagged to run away very fast when they see my number come up!

#36 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

Is anyone else getting prompted to log in to a router when accessing this thread (pop up asking for username and pword of a device addressed 192.168.1.1)? WTF? If I cancel it does nothing and lets me access the thread, but WEIRD!!!

#37 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

Reboot the router. See if they show up again over time.

falconext.png

#38 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Why would accessing this thread, and this thread alone, cause that prompt though!?

#39 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

My solution,  Shoot them IN THE HEAD! Voila!  No more problem...... ;) :lol:

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#40 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

my money's on ORFie being on NSA short list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users