#41 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

I now own all their major releases thanks to Amazon (4 albums total 1998, 2001, 2012, 2014).  Having a hard time getting into their first two records.  A lot of filler IMO, and the songs just sound dated 14+ years later.  Granted, there's a few good tracks on each, the overall quality isn't nearly as high as their latest 2.  The actual recording quality isn't quite there either, which further detracts from my enjoyment.  It seems they have matured for the better.  You can hear glimpses of what was to become of the band in their early recordings, but it's really like comparing Caress of Steel to Moving Pictures in terms of quality.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#42 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

...it's really like comparing Caress of Steel to Moving Pictures in terms of quality.

That's a sales pitch for Big Wreck's early stuff then!

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#43 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

I've enjoyed Ghosts as a slow, awesome burn.

Time to pick up Albatross, though, and expand my horizons.  :)

• stoopid likes this

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#44 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, working your way backward is a pretty good strategy. The first two records definitely leaned on the Pop style a little bit more, but there are some gems there. Like 'Fall Through the Cracks'...

http://grooveshark.c...ks/1SwKd5?src=5

And I totally agree on the recording quality. There is a distorted, tinny quality to those sessions that has always bothered me. 

#45 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

When I listened to the first album, I just thought how it sounds is what they were going for.  I never took it as being poorly recorded.  *shrug*

#46 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

I never took it as being poorly recorded.  *shrug*

It definitely is, night and day, in terms of what their last two albums sound like.  IMO Albatross and Ghosts are VERY well produced records.  I think they just didn't have the best engineering minds and/or equipment behind them early on.  I also feel there's a little bit of a VT thing there, where the music might sound better and be more enjoyable if it was mixed properly.

#47 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Great guitar work here...

• stoopid and State of Grace like this

#48 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

More Ian Thornley...

• stoopid and State of Grace like this

#49 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

\m/

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#50 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

Great guitar work here...

Great to hear some Neil Young in there... ;)  That lead starting at 6:00 is phenomenal.

He has a few choice, tasty leads on Albatross.  I've dove in hard into that record and it's quickly rivaling Ghosts for play-ability.  Million days (which is the first lead in that top youtube video) features a really great example of a flashy lead that stays in control.

• Casey likes this

#51 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:53 PM

"In Loving memory Of..." has gotten several plays and I'm very slowly falling in love with the material.  The next album, "The Pleasure and Greed", is the one with the poorer (harsher sounding) production.  I'll get into that one more later, just trying to immerse in each album instead of one, 4 album large playlist which is how I've been listening of late.

There's certain lyrical elements of this song that annoy me, but I think musically this is a super strong song from the album:

And I don't even mind The Oaf anymore (it didn't work for me initially).

Unfortunately the new SW album has leaked and my drive time will be occupied by that for a while now.  Justifiably.

• Casey and SpaceGhost2112 like this

#52 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

^That Song^ (hehehe)  Is one of my faves from Big Wreck!  Love the guitar effect/noise that comes at the end of each line of the chorus.
And I've always liked "The Oaf", and "Blown Wide Open" as well.  Gotta jam those right now.   :D

• Casey and State of Grace like this

#53 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

About a month ago, BW came to southern Cali for the big trade show. I tried to arrange to go, but the show was just a few days before our trip to Hawaii, so I couldn't swing it. 

But, the whole thing was recorded, and the first song from the show was leaked today. 

• stoopid, Three Eyes and State of Grace like this

#54 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

"In Loving memory Of..." has gotten several plays and I'm very slowly falling in love with the material.  The next album, "The Pleasure and Greed", is the one with the poorer (harsher sounding) production.  I'll get into that one more later, just trying to immerse in each album instead of one, 4 album large playlist which is how I've been listening of late.

There's certain lyrical elements of this song that annoy me, but I think musically this is a super strong song from the album:

And I don't even mind The Oaf anymore (it didn't work for me initially).

Unfortunately the new SW album has leaked and my drive time will be occupied by that for a while now.  Justifiably.

I liked this.  They have a distinctly Canadian vibe.

• State of Grace likes this

#55 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

About a month ago, BW came to southern Cali for the big trade show. I tried to arrange to go, but the show was just a few days before our trip to Hawaii, so I couldn't swing it. 

But, the whole thing was recorded, and the first song from the show was leaked today. 

I always thought that outro was sick.  Can only imagine the audience, of which most don't know of the band, were thinking.  I'm sure there were some jaws dropped.

#56 State of Grace

State of Grace

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh!

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

I always thought that outro was sick.  Can only imagine the audience, of which most don't know of the band, were thinking.  I'm sure there were some jaws dropped.

I Digress played live is intense!!!!  I hope you all get an opportunity to catch a BW show in the near future.  Worth every penny!  Tickets were VERY reasonable.  The 'Ghosts' tour VIP tickets were approx. $100 - $150 Cdn. and included, private sound check, meet & greet pic, t-shirt and a 'Ghosts' poster signed by the band!  Now that's value and quality!     

I'm a HUGE Big Wreck fan!!!!  I've seen them multiple times... over several years.  When the 'Albatross' album was released, it solidified me into a life long fan.  'Ghosts" is a kick ass album!  If you give it many spins, more and more layers come out.  This band is chock full of musicianship!  If you have a chance to catch their live show DO IT!  

Here are two recordings I captured.  They are unbelievably mind blowing live!!!!  

Sorry... can't embed the vids for some reason?

Ladylike

https://www.youtube....h?v=5OzqEo2nyqQ

The Encores (Highway to Hell and The Oaf)

https://www.youtube....h?v=5OzqEo2nyqQ

• stoopid likes this

#57 State of Grace

State of Grace

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh!

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Okay, some true stories from the past few weeks...

I am now personally responsible for creating three new BW fans, possibly 4.  That I know of.

One of them is a collaborator who had Ghosts playing in his car when he dropped it off for some brake work.  Upon picking it up, the mechanic went out of his way to discuss what was playing on Mark's stereo.  I guess the mechanic was a picky music snob too.  Talk about love at first listen.

Albatross has gotten some serious car stereo time this past week.  There's several songs now I really like, and find they even got stuck in my head a couple times.

I feel like BW are Canada's answer to the Foo Fighters, which cheapens BW since they have much more going on than just some 4 chord rock band, but there's a lot of parallels in style.  In the absence of quality new Foos, BW has more than filled that void.  In all seriousness, this is some of the better new music I've added to my collection in maybe 10 years.  Took me a while to embrace it, but now I'm hooked.

From Albatross I'm currently digging the rawness in songs like Rest of the World, which is also the heaviest track on the album (You Caught My Eye a close #2) and really stands out as a result:

Ian's got the full channeling of Chris Cornell thing going on here.  His vocals really elevate the music on all their tracks, great rock vocalist.

In contrast, songs like Wolves are sublime and accomplished without any musical or lyrical pretension:

And one last one... tough lyrical subject, handled very well IMO:

http://youtu.be/DU4SwIqwcZY

LOL!  I did the same thing... my car recently went in for some recall work, at my local GM dealership.  I strategically left the 'Ghosts' CD in my car playing (Hoping it would catch at least one person's attention).  When I picked the car up (After hours), 3/4's of the album had been played!  The Service Manager is a huge RUSH fan... hoping BW caught his ear.  So far 99% of the time when I introduce friends and even family to BW they get it!  

If you want to see an entire live BW show, a fan I met in Toronto filmed both nights, at The Danforth Music Hall - October 16th, 2014.  The vids are awesome due to her seating location that night.  You can view the entire show, in order from this playlist.  Amazing night -- front row!  Thanks to these recordings I can live it over and over again!

https://www.youtube....9ZypCGMxogJ3ktq

• Casey likes this

#58 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Welcome, SoG! Good to see another Wrecker find their way to our small cult here. 

#59 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:13 AM

LOL!  I did the same thing... my car recently went in for some recall work, at my local GM dealership.  I strategically left the 'Ghosts' CD in my car playing (Hoping it would catch at least one person's attention).  When I picked the car up (After hours), 3/4's of the album had been played!  The Service Manager is a huge RUSH fan... hoping BW caught his ear.  So far 99% of the time when I introduce friends and even family to BW they get it!  

If you want to see an entire live BW show, a fan I met in Toronto filmed both nights, at The Danforth Music Hall - October 16th, 2014.  The vids are awesome due to her seating location that night.  You can view the entire show, in order from this playlist.  Amazing night -- front row!  Thanks to these recordings I can live it over and over again!

https://www.youtube....9ZypCGMxogJ3ktq

My SO has been exposed now too, on a couple occasions.  She's picky/critical of music I play in the car, but not a peep through most of Ghosts and much of Albatross.  I'm waiting for the "who are these guys?" during the next longish drive together...

#60 State of Grace

State of Grace

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh!

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome here Casey!  You know me from fb and the BW fb fan page. :)   

So happy to see an entire thread devoted to Big Wreck on here!

Just released by Suhr today...  "Ian Thornley demos the new Rufus ReLoaded pedal with a riff from a currently unreleased song."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube....bed/t6p7_tsSJbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Casey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users