179 replies to this topic

#21 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

Third best, behind Triumph and then ANVIL!!!   Don't you brits know /anything/ about music?

Yes. We gave the world - VENOM!!!

Yes, that's VEE-EE-ENN-OH-FUCKING-EM!!!!

• grep likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Gave some tracks from Ghost a whirl.  I like the cut of their jib.  Though I'm not sure there's enough here to ensnare me into more listens.  I'm going to queue Ghosts and Albatross for the car this week, to see if this can grow on me.  Like the hooks, downplayed vocals (reminds me a little of '90s alt rock), and overall creative energy.  But even when trying to be unconventional I still hear a formula.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#23 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

But even when trying to be unconventional I still hear a formula.

I understand what you're saying, but that's one of the things that I like about them. They throw a Pop fastball down the middle of the plate, and then mix in a curve to keep you on your toes. 

Like a banjo intro in a Rock song...

• State of Grace likes this

#24 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

I understand what you're saying, but that's one of the things that I like about them. They throw a Pop fastball down the middle of the plate, and then mix in a curve to keep you on your toes. 

Or the first minute of the title track Ghosts.  I really like the plunky layered guitar work, but it ended up not really going anywhere.

#25 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

Live BW is hard to find, especially with good sound quality. Here's a recent performance of their first US hit, 'The Oaf'...

Big Wreck, here in The D-, next Tuesday!  Hoping to make the show.  It's at the same venue as the setting for the movie "8 Mile", called The Shelter.  Super cool, small venue, The Shelter is the downstairs and upstairs called St. Andrews Hall.  I saw The Presidents of The United States of America at SAH last summer, but haven't been to The Shelter.... yet.  I'll report if I make the show...  Rock ON!!!

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#26 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

Big Wreck, here in The D-, next Tuesday!  Hoping to make the show.  It's at the same venue as the setting for the movie "8 Mile", called The Shelter.  Super cool, small venue, The Shelter is the downstairs and upstairs called St. Andrews Hall.  I saw The Presidents of The United States of America at SAH last summer, but haven't been to The Shelter.... yet.  I'll report if I make the show...  Rock ON!!!

Good to hear, Huge! I'm jealous of your opportunity. The chances of BW making it to the Left Coast are almost nil. Let me know how it was!

#27 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

Yeah - some of my Canadian friends are going to several shows.  I'd love to get to see just one!

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#28 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

I liked probably half of Ghost, less on Albatross.  The tracks I do like are really solid, and I dig their heavier stuff.  The vocalist reminds me of a more subdued Chris Cornell (Soundgarden).  On a whole their's moments of subtle brilliance, but the overall feel isn't overly ambitious [definitely not aiming for the prog demographic].  I hear the Zep and PT similarities, but also hear some later era Soundgarden and even stoner rock influences.  They do try to tap into many styles which is probably why they remind me of so many other things.  They throw some odd changes and from what I can tell time signatures just spice it up.  There's a lot of good musicianship behind the music.  Just something missing.  Could be the lyrics or sometimes forced vocal delivery.

When I say 'liked', it's not to say the music isn't good on the other tracks.  I would rate them a nice find, and see how others might get into them.

#29 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

I gave up on Albatross but Ghosts drew me back in a few more times, and I have to admit that I like what they're doing.  Subtle and artful.  I'm keeping these guys on the radar.

[there's a few bands that I like a single recording of, very strongly, but don't care for the rest of their material quite as much... Paul Simon "Graceland", Death Cab for Cutie "Codes and Keys", Catherine Wheel "Chrome", Zappa "One Size Fits All", etc...]

• Casey likes this

#30 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

Hey Mama was a track I was already digging, then discovered the video for it, and I have to admit it aint a bad low budget video.  Either way, the song rawks hard.  Enjoy.

• Casey and State of Grace like this

#31 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hey Mama was a track I was already digging, then discovered the video for it, and I have to admit it aint a bad low budget video.  Either way, the song rawks hard.  Enjoy.

Agreed. 

That Zepplinesque outro is particularly trancey and mesmerizing. it gets stuck in my head a lot. 

• stoopid and Mission Position like this

#32 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

Ian Thornley performing an old BW song with his solo band. Great, ambient tune with outstanding guitar work. 

#33 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

I Thought Rush were Canadia's second best band :huh:

Behind the mighty ANVIL!!!!

Can't be arsed to listen this lot, but I bet they aren't as good as the Tea Party - New album out soon folks  :)

here's a little taste of pure Canadian Metal, I think Eudoxis competes for 2nd best Canadian band

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#34 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

I forced myself to spend more time with Albatross.  It has its moments, still not of the overall caliber of Ghosts but better than I remember it being.

#35 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Okay, some true stories from the past few weeks...

I am now personally responsible for creating three new BW fans, possibly 4.  That I know of.

One of them is a collaborator who had Ghosts playing in his car when he dropped it off for some brake work.  Upon picking it up, the mechanic went out of his way to discuss what was playing on Mark's stereo.  I guess the mechanic was a picky music snob too.  Talk about love at first listen.

Albatross has gotten some serious car stereo time this past week.  There's several songs now I really like, and find they even got stuck in my head a couple times.

I feel like BW are Canada's answer to the Foo Fighters, which cheapens BW since they have much more going on than just some 4 chord rock band, but there's a lot of parallels in style.  In the absence of quality new Foos, BW has more than filled that void.  In all seriousness, this is some of the better new music I've added to my collection in maybe 10 years.  Took me a while to embrace it, but now I'm hooked.

From Albatross I'm currently digging the rawness in songs like Rest of the World, which is also the heaviest track on the album (You Caught My Eye a close #2) and really stands out as a result:

Ian's got the full channeling of Chris Cornell thing going on here.  His vocals really elevate the music on all their tracks, great rock vocalist.

In contrast, songs like Wolves are sublime and accomplished without any musical or lyrical pretension:

And one last one... tough lyrical subject, handled very well IMO:

#36 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

Good cover. 

https://soundcloud.c...big-wreck-shout

Good build, but as usual the lead guitar work is perfect and worth waiting for.

• Casey likes this

#37 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Wolves is a great tune!  :2  thumbs up:

#38 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

Good build, but as usual the lead guitar work is perfect and worth waiting for.

The guitar work is what separates BW from just being another pop-rock band. They defy categorization and I like that in music. 

• stoopid likes this

#39 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

The guitar work is what separates BW from just being another pop-rock band. They defy categorization and I like that in music. 

I have a hard time describing BW to others.  They're kind of like a "rock and roll flavor pack".  Hearing is understanding I suppose.

#40 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

I have a hard time describing BW to others.  They're kind of like a "rock and roll flavor pack". 

Well said. I'll have to use that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users