#81 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

There's really only been on "miss" so far this season and that was "Sleep No More". And that's really saying something because as much as I love Doctor Who (been watching since the 4th Doctor when i was a kid) there are always a few episodes that you never have to watch again. 

Can't agree - I thought Sleep no More was one of just two decent episodes. A misunderstood gem.  It works if you think of it as meta-fiction - the Doctor and Clara were never on that station around Neptune.  The whole things was a broadcast and you and I are back on Triton in the Morpheus boxes.  The Sandman virus is taking over out minds slowly.  We are aware of this on some level and the "Doctor" and "Clara" are parts of our minds trying to wake us up before we are turned into Sandmen.  That is why Capaldi kept looking straight into the lens and exclaiming that nothing made sense and talking about eye dust - our minds were trying to overload us with nonsense so we awoke.

Absolutely loved Clara and thought her chemistry with Capaldi developed in this series.

#82 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Just caught up with the last couple of episodes on BBC iPlayer.

I really warmed to Clara's character during her time with The Doctor, but found her demise in "Face The Raven" anti-climatic due to the storyline lacking any real sense of pathos.

Series 9 has been highly entertaining overall, the only low points for me have been the episodes featuring Ashildr. Having said that though, I'm very much looking forward to finding out what exactly she's been up to in the series conclusion this evening.

#83 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

Peter Jackson to direct an episode next series?

http://www.theguardi...-direct-episode

#84 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

That would be epic.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#85 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

Series 9 has been highly entertaining overall, the only low points for me have been the episodes featuring Ashildr. Having said that though, I'm very much looking forward to finding out what exactly she's been up to in the series conclusion this evening.

Brace yourself.

A lacklustre end to a lacklustre season IMO.

#86 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

Can't agree - I thought Sleep no More was one of just two decent episodes. A misunderstood gem.  It works if you think of it as meta-fiction - the Doctor and Clara were never on that station around Neptune.  The whole things was a broadcast and you and I are back on Triton in the Morpheus boxes.  The Sandman virus is taking over out minds slowly.  We are aware of this on some level and the "Doctor" and "Clara" are parts of our minds trying to wake us up before we are turned into Sandmen.  That is why Capaldi kept looking straight into the lens and exclaiming that nothing made sense and talking about eye dust - our minds were trying to overload us with nonsense so we awoke.

Absolutely loved Clara and thought her chemistry with Capaldi developed in this series.

I'll have to re-watch it then. 

I enjoyed the finale, it wasn't one of the best as far as the storyline, etc, but it was cool seeing certain things from the 50th, etc come back. 

LOVE the new Sonic Screwdriver though. Looking forward to the Xmas special, only a bit over a week for that!!! 

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#87 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

I'll have to re-watch it then. 

I enjoyed the finale, it wasn't one of the best as far as the storyline, etc, but it was cool seeing certain things from the 50th, etc come back. 

LOVE the new Sonic Screwdriver though. Looking forward to the Xmas special, only a bit over a week for that!!! 

Moffat seems to think that if he puts enough nods to the Classic series in the fanboiz and fangurlz will be happy.

But FFS.... the Doctor is basically a nobody who nicked a TARDIS, and he send Rassilon into exile, who is the Gallifreyan King Arthur and Winston Churchill rolled into one?  Come on Moffat!

• sir clinksalot likes this

#88 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

Not exactly a nobody on his home planet. He's been President on a number of occasions since his fourth regeneration and also the greatest hero of The Time War.

If Moffat's scripting fell down anywhere, it was in underestimating the amount of information he wanted to impart in a single episode. "Hell Bent" should have been a two parter in it's own right following on from "Heaven Sent" or at least a feature length resolution to the series.

The farewell scenes between the Doctor and Clara were beautiful and poignant, It made perfect sense that his memory should be wiped this time. How else could he carry on after spending over four billion years trying to save his best friend. Great writing, but at the expense of the Gallifreyan strand of the story.

I was enthralled by the whole episode, right up and till the point Clara sailed off into the sunset with Ashildr to face her imminent death the long way round.

We can look forward to interesting times ahead for the Doctor in series 10.

#89 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

I mean, he was a Time Lord, which series 8 indicates is a corp requiring testing into, so he's not some nobody, off-the-street Galifreyan.

#90 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

He loves Conch meat....

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#91 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:21 AM

Not exactly a nobody on his home planet. He's been President on a number of occasions since his fourth regeneration and also the greatest hero of The Time War.

If Moffat's scripting fell down anywhere, it was in underestimating the amount of information he wanted to impart in a single episode. "Hell Bent" should have been a two parter in it's own right following on from "Heaven Sent" or at least a feature length resolution to the series.

The farewell scenes between the Doctor and Clara were beautiful and poignant, It made perfect sense that his memory should be wiped this time. How else could he carry on after spending over four billion years trying to save his best friend. Great writing, but at the expense of the Gallifreyan strand of the story.

It didn't even make sense that he spent four billion years trying to save her!  He didn't save Adric, Rose or Amy. As far as he was concerned, only the last copy of him had any memories anyway. Just more plot holes....

The beautiful poignant bit was two episodes ago when she died.  FFS Moffat, just let people stay dead!

#92 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

I try not to concern myself too much with the plot discrepancies, as the fabric of space and timey wimey has more holes than a swiss cheese.

I've absolutely no idea why Clara is more important to the Doctor than any of his previous companions. It could be argued that the 5th Doctor not saving Adric had a greater respect for the laws of time and space because he had not yet been psychologically scarred by the internecine conflict between his race and the Daleks. Perhaps also post The Last Great Time War, the loss of Rose, Amy and other companions have had a cumulative effect on his psyche and Clara's death was the final straw to push him over the edge.

Her indefinite stay of execution was more for the benefit of younger viewers rather than those ravaged by the passing of time. I had no problem with the extraction chamber plot device but felt somewhat cheated that she was not returned to her own time stream at the end to face the consequences of her actions.

However, I'm assuming the BBC's budget wouldn't stretch to a Gibson but even so, the Epiphone SG was a nice touch, not only giving him the visual demeanour of a gunslinging spaghetti western hero coming to town to save the day but also a tongue in cheek nod to the close association between the episode title and one of AC/DC's most famous tunes. 

#93 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Moffat is leaving!  Hurray!

#94 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:43 AM

It's time... but he still has one more series at the helm and not be aired until spring 2017, so hopefully it will be a good send off.

There are rumours that Peter Capaldi will leave at the same time. For me this would be a shame, as I really like his Doctor and I'd be interested to see how he evolves under Chris Chibnall's tenure as head writer.

#95 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:25 AM

The BBC has also pulled the show from Netflix and Hulu. Boo.

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#96 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

That episode really laid out the problem I have wrapping my head around transporters/teleporters in Star Trek and various other series. The idea that the transporter isn't actually moving your specific atoms per se across vast distances, but is rather just storing the "pattern" of you and then recreating it from scratch at the other end like a food replicator. If that's the case, every time a person steps into a transporter, they DIE. What shows up on the other end is just a "clone" who thinks he's you and carries on with your life where you left off. No wonder McCoy didn't want to be transported.

I've always found this an interesting question. But I don't think the actual material in your body is you.

#97 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

I've always found this an interesting question. But I don't think the actual material in your body is you.

Yep, the individual atoms are replaced many times.  Which begs the question - what is your consciousness made of?  Where are your memories stored?  And... where do they go when your body dies?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users