#21 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

I saw it last night at the theater despite not having seen any Clara/Eleven episodes. I liked it - didn't blow me away; will take me a few episodes to break him in.

I never could get into the Eleven era. 

There are some good Eleven stories at the back end of season 6. Have a look at the two that Neil Gaiman wrote.

• OldRUSHfan and sir clinksalot like this

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I thought Capaldi was superb in the role. For a while I thought the whole thing was going to be dull - dull Doctor, dull story - but it really took off for me about 20 minutes in. He brought a bit of Malcolm Tucker to the Doctor, and I found that humour-tinged manic intensity perfect to represent the Doctor's huge and fast alien brain.

I disagree with the assertion that he's the strangest Doctor so far, though. Troughton was stranger, and that's one of the reasons he's still the Best Doctor Ever.

I loved the human-augmented robot guy. Beautifully macabre and creepy, but they made him understated and personable at the same time - very clever. The CGI open face was very well done I thought. Much better than the old Terminator 2 CGI, but of course that was over 20 years ago now.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#23 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

There are some good Eleven stories at the back end of season 6. Have a look at the two that Neil Gaiman wrote.

Will do. I don't get BBCA but I see Netflix has new-to-me programs. 

I've been watching the older shows on Hulu Plus as well - almost finished with what remains of the Troughton era. Have to say I've enjoyed One and Two more than the reboot era.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#24 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

Troughton was stranger, and that's one of the reasons he's still the Best Doctor Ever.

You're the first old fart I've ever seen claim Best Doctor was anything other than Baker.  Way to break my image of old-Who fans being a monolith.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#25 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

You're the first old fart I've ever seen claim Best Doctor was anything other than Baker.  Way to break my image of old-Who fans being a monolith.

I lke my Docs to be tall, well dressed and authoritiative, therefore:

1. Pertwee

2. Eccleston (his scene with the Dalek in the basement is my favourite in all Who)

3. Tennant

4. Tom Baker  (started off brilliantly, but after three seasons jumped the shark and the series never recovered until 2005)

5. Smith (would have been higher but suffered from a lot of bad scripts)

6. Troughton  (too scruffy and too short for me, but he did introduce the idea of the Doctor fighting for good)

7. Hartnell

None of the rest who have had more than one episode even register.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#26 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Dang.... I probably won't get to see any of this until it comes out on DVD...

• OldRUSHfan likes this

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#27 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

1. Pertwee
2. Eccleston (his scene with the Dalek in the basement is my favourite in all Who)
3. Tennant
4. Tom Baker  (started off brilliantly, but after three seasons jumped the shark and the series never recovered until 2005)
6. Troughton  (too scruffy and too short for me, but he did introduce the idea of the Doctor fighting for good)
7. Hartnell

That's a pretty good assessment, though height isn't a factor for me. I don't remember seeing Hartnell when it was first broadcast (I'd have been 5 when his last episode was broadcast) although i have some recollections of Troughton. Pertwee was the first one i can remember properly and he is my favourite from the original series. I agree about Eccleston being the best of the new Doctors. He's probably the best actor who's played the part.
  • OldRUSHfan and Moving Target like this

#28 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Troughton did have that wonderful speech - I think it was in the Cybermen story on the Moon - where his eyes went all faraway: "Some corners of the Universe have bred the most terrible things.  They must be fought, to the death."  I recently saw one called The Enemy of the World, where he gets to ham it up as an Argentinian dictactor.  My distant-cousin-by-marriage Carmen Monroe OBE is in it.  I absolutely love his turn in The Three Doctors, playing funny man to Big Jon's straight man.

The Wet Vet was a huge let-down after his two larger-than-life predecessors.  Poor Colin Baker did his best with terrible scripts and that dreadful costume, and the less said about McCoy the better.

I would have liked to have seen more of McGann.  He had Pertwee's grandiose style and the otherness of the classic Doctors.  His mini-episode where he turns into Hurt is a joy.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#29 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

My daughter is the biggest FAN of Dr. Who, and she has everything on DVD that's available at this time.  This guy is the SECOND biggest fan I know of.

Portrait-ChrisHardwicktheNerdist.jpg Chris Hardwick.  Met him on "Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson", as Craig Ferguson is the THIRD Biggest Dr. Who fan I know of.

P.S. Chris's show on Comedy Central, "@ midnight" is a hilarious game show featuring different comedians of this modern time and content by 'Twitter' and different Interwebs stuff....

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#30 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

1. Pertwee

3. Tennant

7. Hartnell

Your list is actually pretty close to mine with just a couple of them rearranged, but I agree, those are the top 7. I think Capaldi has a chance to get on this list, but obviously we should give him at least a season.;)

I really do wish Eccleston had a longer run. 

1) Tennant

2) Pertwee

3) Eccleston

4) Baker

5) Troughton

6) Smith

7) Hartnell

I agree, the rest don't really register, although admittedly I haven't seen any episodes with McCoy and Colin Baker since I was a kid. I did recently re-watch the movie with McGann and I didn't hate it, wouldn't have minded him having some kind of role in the 50th. 

• OldRUSHfan likes this

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#31 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

I agree, the rest don't really register, although admittedly I haven't seen any episodes with McCoy and Colin Baker since I was a kid. I did recently re-watch the movie with McGann and I didn't hate it, wouldn't have minded him having some kind of role in the 50th. 

Just for you....

• OldRUSHfan and sir clinksalot like this

#32 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that. LOL. I need to show that to the wife as she just finished getting "caught up" (with the reboot, not the originals). 

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#33 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

I couldn't watch more than ten minutes of the Colin Baker series.  I mean, it was TERRIBAD.

I don't know if that was more on the writing, though.

• Slim and Moving Target like this

#34 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

1. Pertwee

I like my Docs to be a bit alien and therefore strange. Pertwee's Doctor was much too human and English. Gave the appearance of being more at home at a Pall Mall gentlemen's club than a Tardis. Tennant also had the same problem. Authoritative and dynamic yes, but the sort of person you wouldn't be surprised to meet at a party in Islington. Tom Baker put things right with that wide-eyed eccentric stare that told you he was a bit unearthly.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#35 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

I couldn't watch more than ten minutes of the Colin Baker series.  I mean, it was TERRIBAD.

So...basically McCoy and C. Baker were the Coy and Vance Duke of the franchise, yes? 

(Link for reference.)

I notice Peter Davison hasn't been mentioned here, either, so I'm guessing his tenure was also meh.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#36 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

So...basically McCoy and C. Baker were the Coy and Vance Duke of the franchise, yes? 

(Link for reference.)

I notice Peter Davison hasn't been mentioned here, either, so I'm guessing his tenure was also meh.

Davison is the Wet Vet referred to in one of MT's posts. It's a reference to a part he played (as a vet) in the 70's TV series "All Creatures Great and Small". You're right, it was "meh". That's when I stopped watching regularly.
  • Soddy and OldRUSHfan like this

#37 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

There is one decent Colin Baker story - Revelation of the Daleks.  Actually, The Two Doctors by Robert Holmes was OK too - Troughton is in that one.  All the rest was utterly lamentable, laughably bad scripts with terrible effects because the Beeb had lost faith in the show and slashed the budget. 

It should have been put down by then, but somehow the McCoy era was even worse.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#38 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I like my Docs to be a bit alien and therefore strange. Pertwee's Doctor was much too human and English. Gave the appearance of being more at home at a Pall Mall gentlemen's club than a Tardis. Tennant also had the same problem. Authoritative and dynamic yes, but the sort of person you wouldn't be surprised to meet at a party in Islington. Tom Baker put things right with that wide-eyed eccentric stare that told you he was a bit unearthly.

He nicked the consultant heart surgeon's clothing in his first story if you remember! 

Jon asked the producers how they wanted him to play the role, and they told him to be Jon Pertwee.  Jon replied that he did not know who Jon Pertwee was.  He had spent so long playing characters with funny voices that he lost his sense of self.  The Doctor helped him rebuild that.

Interestingly, Patrick and Jon were both RN during WW2.  Patrick started on destroyers and ended up as a gunboat skipper on D-Day.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#39 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

I hated Colin Baker in that part, he was such a terrible overacting theatrical luvvy drama queen. I didn't think McCoy was all that bad, although his stories were mostly rubbish. I was also not a fan of Peter Davison, he was like a bland yet faintly foppish geography teacher.

Some of the old Doctors have appeared in "audio adventures" - kind of like radio plays, on CD - reprising their old roles:

http://www.bigfinish...bs/v/doctor-who

I had a couple of the Davison ones made in the '90s and interestingly, he was terrific. The subsequent years had given him a gravitas and a relaxed humour that were conspicuously absent from the Fifth Doctor's telly adventures.

I see Tom Baker has been making them as recently as this year. Must check this one out:

the-abandoned_cover_large.jpg

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#40 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

The Eighth Doctor has been in a lot of those ^^, with Sheridan Smith no less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users