627 replies to this topic

#581 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Wreckage (early version of Ancestral), recorded October 20, 2013, Royal Albert Hall

• stoopid likes this

#582 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Guthrie shreds.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#583 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

Enjoying being the guitar player again... #stevenwilson #newalbumcomingsoon #guitar #guitahttps://t.co/NVy7rPaJIE pic.twitter.com/l878JYHEwX

— Steven Wilson (@StevenWilsonHQ) February 2, 2017

• baldiepete likes this

#584 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

https://www.instagra.../p/BQa9_nnDBsM/

stevenwilsonhq A short clip of legendary harmonica player Mark Feltham working on one of my new songs “To the Bone”. I’ve loved Mark’s playing ever since hearing his work on albums such as Talk Talk’s “Colour of Spring” and “Spirit of Eden” and The The’s “Mind Bomb”, so it’s a real thrill to have him playing on the new album.

#585 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

https://www.instagra.../p/BQa9_nnDBsM/

stevenwilsonhq A short clip of legendary harmonica player Mark Feltham working on one of my new songs “To the Bone”. I’ve loved Mark’s playing ever since hearing his work on albums such as Talk Talk’s “Colour of Spring” and “Spirit of Eden” and The The’s “Mind Bomb”, so it’s a real thrill to have him playing on the new album.

Better than that he was in Nine Below Zero and played with Rory Gallagher :)

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#586 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

Tweet from Andy Partridge.

https://twitter.com/...944020737359872

"Just heard the mixes of 2 co-writes I did with Steven Wilson,for his new album.Really thrilling mixes,the word EPIC came to mind.Huge sounds"

#587 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

Sounds like he was in XTC

I'll get me smock...

• MrSkeptic likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#588 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:21 AM

Love this song.

• baldiepete likes this

#589 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

Not sure why the photo doesn't display below. Go here to see it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-QpVwg6gI/

#590 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Love this song.

I really do like the new Blackfield album. A nice return to form after a couple of not so great albums. 

• Burger King Diamond likes this

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#591 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

New album released on 18th August.

One track released to YouTube this morning :D. (I've not actually had a chance to listen to it yet).

#592 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

Sounds like a move away from the more obviously proggy sounds of the last couple of albums. It reminds me of Routine (but not as good) with some great Ninet Tayeb vocals.

#593 Cygnify

Cygnify

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Steven wrote on his Facebook:

After many months of writing and recording, I’m pleased to finally announce details of my new album To The Bone, and a major European tour in early 2018 which includes a return to many of my favourite venues, including London’s prestigious Royal Albert Hall. For my North and South American fans, expect to see further tour news soon.

To The Bone is due to be released on 18th August but is available now to pre-order in a variety of formats, including a special deluxe hard back 120 page book edition, which includes an exclusive full length CD of demos and unused songs, and a one-sided 7 inch vinyl single of a bonus instrumental song from the album sessions. Neither of these will be available anywhere else - https://stevenwilson.lnk.to/ToTheBo...
My fifth record is in many ways inspired by the hugely ambitious progressive pop records that I loved in my youth (think Peter Gabriel’s So, Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love, Talk Talk’s Colour of Spring and Tears for Fears’ Seeds of Love). Lyrically, the album’s eleven tracks veer from the paranoid chaos of the current era in which truth can apparently be a flexible notion, observations of the everyday lives of refugees, terrorists and religious fundamentalists, and a welcome shot of some of the most joyous wide-eyed escapism I’ve created in my career so far. Something for all the family!

So, I can definitely hear the pop influence - very much "Don't Give up" (Peter Gabriel) vibe.  I quite liked it on first listen; very emotional vibe.

Craig Blundell also posted some interesting things about how Steven approached the drums:

Steven Wilson - Pariah - Listening Video

In a few months, Steven's new album "To the Bone" will be released. I was privileged to be asked to play on the album back in October and in mid December we went into Paul Stacey's studio to track drums with a variety of different Mapex kits, Cymbals and head configurations. Obviously, out of respect for the boss, I won't divulge much about the album, I'll leave that to him, but its been in my car for a few weeks now and I love it. As always with SW, its different from the last. When I got sent this song as a demo I remember being pretty moved by it when I listened the first time, it was exactly the same when I was recording it too and when I heard it on Steven's Youtube channel last night. Music is a universal language that's so powerful that always provokes emotion, and this is no exception...

For the drummers amongst you, from the drums, he wanted groove, feel and dynamics without all the complications and fills to let the songs breathe along with electronics/programmed parts. There's a wide range of different styles all over the album, but for this track in particularly, it was nice to strip everything back, take away the small rack toms, put up a couple of 24" crashes and "play" just behind everything.

I hope you like it...

Indeed, not every song has to be bursting to the seams with proggy odd time and complicated fills!  lol

I'm happy Steven continues to change his sound (though I am partial to the prog stuff!) and follow what inspires him.  (Otherwise, I think, we'd get recycled garbage that even the artist doesn't care for...)

#594 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

DCEF4E7A-E2DC-462E-AC94-C27C0E41F84C_zps
  • Three Eyes and GhostWriter like this

#595 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

With a fourth track from the new album released today, curious what people's thoughts are so far. I'm luke warm on what I've heard so far. I like Same Asylum, Permanating and Pariah. Song of I does nothing for me. The songs are nice but I think he's veered too far towards pop for the majority of his fan base.

#596 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

I like them all. I think he was wary of continuing with the technical musicianship of the last couple of albums and suspect that he thought he'd taken that as far as he wanted to go and felt that it was time to take a different direction, in this case towards the pop music of his youth. In interviews it's been obvious that he's never been comfortable being categorised as prog rock, even though there's much in the genre that that he likes. Taking a poppy turn, with simpler songs could be a reaction against that. It's not as if he's not taken a few left turns before. The early PT albums were very different from the later ones and his recent solo material sounds nothing like Insurgentes. I have to agree that a lot of his fan base will find it too poppy, which could prove a problem on tour where he usually performs his latest album in its entirety.

#597 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:18 PM

So far I've not been very impressed. This latest release reminds me of ABBA. I doubt I'll be buying the record.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#598 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

New album is very good. I particularly like Nowhere Now and People Who Eat Darkness. The only track I find myself skipping is Blank Tapes.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#599 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

I haven't listened to any of the tracks yet, I'm waiting to have the whole thing in my hands to wrap my head around.  The immersive album experience so to speak.  See you on or soon after the 18th to comment...   :P

#600 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

New album is very good. I particularly like Nowhere Now and People Who Eat Darkness. The only track I find myself skipping is Blank Tapes.

It's good. A step in the right direction. I'm glad he's showing some growth in the songwriting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users