• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:25 AM

Maybe this is old news to some of you - I just discovered this tonight.

David Kulju - known around these parts as tomservo years ago - died back in December (2013).

He put out a couple of excellent albums.

Ugh... he came up on iTunes, and I went looking for him on the net to see what he was up to.  Never expected to be confronted with this news.

Sad stuff.  :(

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

Ugh - what happened?

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

I remember him.

May he rest in peace.

falconext.png

#4 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:50 AM

His obit said he died suddenly, in a hospital.  No idea beyond that.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#5 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Very sad.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#6 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Love this:  

• DustoftheStars likes this

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Oh that's just awful. I was just thinking about him the other day. I have one of his albums. Very talented musician. RIP Dave. You will be missed.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Love this:  

Dang!!! Beautifully composed and performed. And a pro level recording, to boot.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#9 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Wow.  Dave was one of the members who I looked up to.  I also have a couple of his albums and even exchanged messages at some point when he had been MIA between forum crashes.  He was a really nice guy, and excellent musician/producer.

http://www.soundclic...8&q=hi&newref=1

A lot of his stuff is on soundclick and cdbaby.

http://www.soundclic...m?bandID=695737

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#10 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,813 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

Wow, sad.  I think I had him on Facebook as a friend too. Great musician.  R.I.P. Dave

#11 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Love this:  

Pretty tasty. So a few months ago I was talking about how certain bass players seem to have a very minimal right-hand approach (as opposed to the way Geddy wails away at his strings). The bass playing here is a good example of that.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#12 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Oh that's just awful. I was just thinking about him the other day. I have one of his albums. Very talented musician. RIP Dave. You will be missed.

What 3 Eyes said.  Can't remember the name of the album, but it's in my iTunes, and I know which songs are  his...I really liked that album.....wait..."Abstract Expression" is the name of the album I own......very cool!  It's in my FAVE Album playlist.  R.I.P. Dave.... :(

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#13 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

The space in this recording is ridiculous and the guitar tone gives me chills!  This is one of those cases of not being "discovered" by the industry.  He is very talented and if he had the chance to open for Rush or Yes back in the day I think he would've had a nice size following...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#14 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Very sad to hear. People drop off and you expect them to go on IRL. My condolences to his family. :(

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#15 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Stunning. A nice guy and a talented musician. 

#16 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

wow....RIP tomservo  :(

Proud Knobhead

#17 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

The space in this recording is ridiculous and the guitar tone gives me chills!  This is one of those cases of not being "discovered" by the industry.  He is very talented and if he had the chance to open for Rush or Yes back in the day I think he would've had a nice size following...

If you google his name you'll see he did have a small fan base, so at least some of us noticed.  I will treasure the albums even more now (both are signed, one personalized).  :(

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#18 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

^^ That is a really pretty song.  How fucking sad this guy had to pass.

(I like that he broke out a telecaster for this track too)

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

ROCHESTER - David S. Kulju, 43, of Rochester, died suddenly Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at Frisbee Memorial Hospital.

He was born in Portsmouth Jan. 15, 1970, a son of Seppo and Linda (Babineau) Kulju of Hampton.

David graduated from Winnacunnet High School in Hampton in 1988 and the University of North Carolina at Asheville in 1993 with a degree in Audio Engineering. While in Asheville, he met the love of his life, Mary, and together they celebrated their 19th wedding anniversary on Sept. 25th, 2013.

David was a talented software engineer at IBM and possessed a good head for politics. He was an avid photographer, cook and coffee drinker who loved to take daily walks and cheer on the Bruins. His true passion was music. David was adept with many instruments, but guitar was his first love. He was gifted at composing, mixing and recording and had released several group and solo albums, including a Christmas album he recorded with his wife, who is an accomplished flutist. His sharp intellect, fast humor and kind heart will be missed by all who loved and knew him. 

In addition to his parents and his devoted wife, Mary DiModica-Kulju of Rochester, David is survived by his sister, Kristen (Kulju) Byron, and her husband, Shawn, of Loudon; his uncle and aunt, Jouko and Judy Kulju, of Sarasota, Fla.; his mother-in-law, Dorothy DiModica, of Largo, Fla.; his brother-in-law, Charles DiModica, of Largo, Fla., along with his much loved nephew and nieces, Noah, Sadie, Charlissa and Charae, as well as many cousins and friends.

Visiting hours will be Saturday, Dec. 14, from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Remick & Gendron Funeral Home - Crematory, 811 Lafayette Road, Hampton. 

Services will be held Sunday, Dec. 15, at 2 p.m. at the First Congregational Church, 127 Winnacunnet Road, Hampton. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited. 

Burial will be private.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in his name to Gerry's Food Pantry of Rochester, 150 Wakefield St., Suite 3, Rochester, N.H. 03867 or the Food Pantry of your choice.

Please visit 
RemickGendron.com to view David's memorial website, sign the tribute wall or for directions. - See more at: http://www.legacy.co...h.8cCMk6b1.dpuf

• stoopid likes this

#20 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

How terrible. I'm very sorry to see this news.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users