#1 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

A thread for summer, 2014 vacation pictures.  Feel free to add your own.

We're currently traveling to Tennessee from Florida.  Our first stop was Callaway Gardens, a large recreation area near FDR's Warm Springs, GA Southern White House.  Here's a picture from their butterfly pavilion:

:

5Muefen.jpg

The out-of-shape gentleman in the left side of the picture is not any of the SJS clan.  My mom, on the other hand, is in the picture.

Our next stop was The Lost Sea Adventure in Sweetwater, TN.  It's a cavern with, if I remember correctly, the largest underground navigable lake.  It's about 4.5 acres and they bring you through the lake on a glass-bottom boat.  The cavern itself is impressive with fairly large rooms and graffiti from the mid-1800s.  I couldn't get any good images of the inside of the caverns - too dark - but here's the entrance and a picture from the grounds:

WoU2Nvp.jpg

yz43ZrE.jpg

LYqbjSn.jpg

#2 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

A thread for summer, 2014 vacation pictures.  Feel free to add your own.

We're currently traveling to Tennessee from Florida.  Our first stop was Callaway Gardens, a large recreation area near FDR's Warm Springs, GA Southern White House.  Here's a picture from their butterfly pavilion:

:

5Muefen.jpg

The out-of-shape gentleman in the left side of the picture is not any of the SJS clan.  My mom, on the other hand, is in the picture.

Our next stop was The Lost Sea Adventure in Sweetwater, TN.  It's a cavern with, if I remember correctly, the largest underground navigable lake.  It's about 4.5 acres and they bring you through the lake on a glass-bottom boat.  The cavern itself is impressive with fairly large rooms and graffiti from the mid-1800s.  I couldn't get any good images of the inside of the caverns - too dark - but here's the entrance and a picture from the grounds:

WoU2Nvp.jpg

yz43ZrE.jpg

My first Ex and our daughter (&unborn son) went here in '86 and on down to Rock City...the Rainbow trout in the 'sea' were HUGE...The water level was down three feet that summer because of drought conditions that year.....beautiful country though.... :) :D

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#3 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Last picture looks cool!

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#4 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

We always passed Warm Springs on the way to somewhere else when I lived in Florida. Looks very nice. 

In June I met my parents, who did a Sicily tour. I stayed for a few days and went with Mom to the village where her grandparents were born. I set up some photos on G+.

L I N K

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#5 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

My first Ex and our daughter (&unborn son) went here in '86 and on down to Rock City...the Rainbow trout in the 'sea' were HUGE...The water level was down three feet that summer because of drought conditions that year.....beautiful country though.... :) :D

Our boat guide mentioned that during the 80s they had to make a second dock quite a bit further into the lake room as a result of drought.  The trout are still big and still jumping.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#6 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Last picture looks cool!

They have a few additional attractions - a general store (I think that's the building of the picture), a blacksmith shop, a glass-blower's shop, a nature trail, and a couple of other things.  The caves are up on a mountain (or big hill) which is covered in dense forest and so it was very pretty.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#7 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

We always passed Warm Springs on the way to somewhere else when I lived in Florida. Looks very nice. 

In June I met my parents, who did a Sicily tour. I stayed for a few days and went with Mom to the village where her grandparents were born. I set up some photos on G+.

L I N K

Say more!  My mom's family is also Sicilian.  I cannot remember their village though I'm sure I could find it.  I'm fairly sure it was in the Province of Messina though.  That would be a dream come true trip for me.  My great-grandmother was born there and came over in 1903 at the age of 3.

(Your pictures of Sicily are amazing.)

LYqbjSn.jpg

#8 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Today's adventure was in Chattanooga.  Two of the girls on the train are the spawn of SJS.

5vPKr3A.jpg

LYqbjSn.jpg

#9 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Say more!  My mom's family is also Sicilian.  I cannot remember their village though I'm sure I could find it.  I'm fairly sure it was in the Province of Messina though.  That would be a dream come true trip for me.  My great-grandmother was born there and came over in 1903 at the age of 3.

(Your pictures of Sicily are amazing.)

Thanks. It was a great trip - what I saw of the island was gorgeous. I think you can pretty much see the volcano from anywhere.

I wish I had done the entire tour with them, they went all around the coast but I stayed in Catania. First time I've been to a country where I couldn't bluff the language. That was an adventure.

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#10 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I went to visit a large country house - Fuck Hall

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

They have a few additional attractions - a general store (I think that's the building of the picture), a blacksmith shop, a glass-blower's shop, a nature trail, and a couple of other things.  The caves are up on a mountain (or big hill) which is covered in dense forest and so it was very pretty.

I remember the glass blowing shop.  I was interested in that profession.....

• SJS likes this

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#12 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

I remember the glass blowing shop.  I was interested in that profession.....

What?!?  You didn't just say that... ;)

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#13 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

What?!? You didn't just say that... ;)

Pulling the shards out must be a bitch!

Hey...where's Perry?

#14 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I used to be into blown glass animals....my cousin that was stationed in Virginia Beach while he was in the Navy turned me on to painting brown beer bottles with flourescent poster paints with 'hippy shit' as my dad used to call it..."peace, love, etc."  Then using the bottle as a stick insence burning holder.... :)

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"