34 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

While we spent a night in the lovely town of Warwick, England, recently, I asked the bartender in the hotel pub if he had the Macallan. He said he had never heard of it. But upon searching his trove of bottles he found some. I tried a glass, finally.

I could tell that it was high quality stuff, but cannot imagine ever drinking it again. Much less buying it.

And you?

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

I did buy a bottle about ten years ago. I found it rather nondescript, I'm afraid. My favourites are the Talisker and Laphroaig which are very smoky, peaty, strong-tasting ones, and Glenlivet - very smooth and silky with suggestions of vanilla and citrus.

These days a Scotch purchase is relatively rare though - I find the ritual of preparation necessary for a vodka martini a priceless way of avoiding drinking too many. You have to chill the glass, carve a lemon twist or skewer olives, shake the vodka through ice, add a tiny dribble of vermouth. You can't just reach for the bottle and award yourself another glass like you can with whisky.

#3 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

I find it to be for folks like me who like a "lighter" single malt.  James is right - it's defintely not bragworthy if you like any particular aspect of scotch in a pronounced sense.

Glenlivet is very nice. 

I do like a bit of smoky, but I have my limits with peaty.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#4 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSenior Administrator of Hormone Division, Department of Puberty

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

I visited a friend in Nevada and, at <$30 a bottle, it was hard to find fault with Trader Joe's.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#5 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

I've tried several brands of single malts and as much as I've wanted to like it, I don't. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

It's a gateway scotch.  It's good for someone getting into single malts because you can taste it easily.  The flavors come out with little coaxing.  Other scotches are more interesting.  I like scotch but I'm more into bourbon these days.

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

I've tried several brands of single malts and as much as I've wanted to like it, I don't. 

They're hard to taste.  It takes a bit of work.  Try waiting a long time with the tiniest of sips.  Add a drop or two of water to the glass if you're still having trouble.  The Macallan 12 tastes like sherry, date and fig.

#8 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Don't touch it myself.

Highland Park, Glenfarclas and Talisker are my main tipples in the malt line.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Between beer and wine I've already got my hands full.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#10 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Don't touch it myself.

Highland Park, Glenfarclas and Talisker are my main tipples in the malt line.

I find HP quite similar to the Macallan in that it's boring. Doesn't have the mmmmm factor of a Glenlivet, doesn't have the ohhhhh of a Talisker or similar.

#11 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

My BFF's dad loved scotch and always had the high priced stuff....ever heard of Pinch?  Made by Haig & Haig at one time... my friend's dad gave me a taste of his scotch and water one night, and I almost puked.....give me bourbon every time also.  Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 preferably. I LOVE the taste of that stuff!  I like it alone, or with Dr. Pepper as a mixer.  Not so good with 7 UP....tried that on the plane from Florida, summer of '77, and drank the rest at X-mas party I had that X-mas, when I mixed it with Dr. Pepper, creating the "Dr. Daniels" drink...When I ordered a "7 & 7" drink on the plane, the stewardess brought it, JD Old #7 and 7 UP.  My Dad chuckled, and I asked him why.  He said, "That's a 'Sour Mash' Whiskey.  It's made for 'sipping'".  Well he was right about mixing it with 7 UP, that SUCKED, but Dr. Pepper was GREAT!

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#12 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

I find HP quite similar to the Macallan in that it's boring. Doesn't have the mmmmm factor of a Glenlivet, doesn't have the ohhhhh of a Talisker or similar.

HP's not as good as it used to be, but it's not boring. More of a very good all-rounder.

The Macallan's Derek Pringle, HP is Ian Botham.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

give me bourbon every time also.  Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 preferably. I LOVE the taste of that stuff! 

Jack Daniel's isn't a bourbon, strictly speaking. I guess it's a bit like calling a whisky made in Wales (yes, such things exist) "Scotch".

I quite like a bourbon occasionally; developed a taste for it in my 20s. One I really liked (though I haven't had it for years) was Old Grandad, strong and smoky. I like Jim Beam as well which seems to have a more subtle, nutty flavour. Also tried Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey and a couple of others. The only one I didn't like was Four Roses.

Currently working my way through a bottle of cucumber gin, which makes the most divine martinis.

#14 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

My father gave me a taste of "Old Grandad" in the mid '70s...actually got ahold of a pint in '74, as evidenced by a tape I made in '75 where a couple of my friends were listening to music on my stereo and had a drink of it....I rather liked it...

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#15 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

Buffalo Trace is a great bourbon to try that isn't overpowering in the caramel department. A good gateway bourbon for a scotch drinker.

Pappy Van Winkle remains the holy grail. If you can get some, get it.

#16 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Like James I find Macallan a bit boring, but too be truthful, I find many Speyside whiskies a bit boring. I agree that Glenlivet (another Speyside) is good, especially the 18YO, athough the standard bottling 12YO is very good. I have to disagree about Highland Park, it's my favourite all-rounder, smokier than the Speysides but without the phenolic peat of the Islays. The 18YO is stunning, one of the best whiskies on the market.

However, my favourite whisky is Ardbeg, one of the whisky distilleries on the island of Islay. I currently have three different expressions of it, each of which are different and all of them are superb. These are heavily peated and are not to be approached without caution. Certainly, if you're new to Scotch and you don't like Macallan or Glenlivet, you are quite likely to hate this. My wife says that if she wanted to drink medicine she'd be sure to make sure she was actually ill before she drank something that tasted like this.

#17 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

My current whisky collection :)

e8866dba6f62d1bfb986009cb877ec7b_zps48f9

#18 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

#19 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

^^^  The First album was the first GT&TD album I bought....it SOOOOO kicks ass...."House Rent Blues" is my fave tune.....

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

I did buy a bottle about ten years ago. I found it rather nondescript, I'm afraid. My favourites are the Talisker and Laphroaig which are very smoky, peaty, strong-tasting ones, and Glenlivet - very smooth and silky with suggestions of vanilla and citrus.

These days a Scotch purchase is relatively rare though - I find the ritual of preparation necessary for a vodka martini a priceless way of avoiding drinking too many. You have to chill the glass, carve a lemon twist or skewer olives, shake the vodka through ice, add a tiny dribble of vermouth. You can't just reach for the bottle and award yourself another glass like you can with whisky.

OKā€”that's it.  No more work today.  I need a martini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users