#22 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

There`s a freaking nut at the gym who whistles very loudly while exercising/breathing...my iPod doesn`t have a high enough volume to drown him out...

in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....whistle....in out...whistle...in out.....whistle....in out....

that`s it, I`m outta here.... :blink:

Few things annoy me like a whistler.   I know they're happy and all, and innocently whistling. Which I why I don't complain... but god I hate that.

• Planet X-1 likes this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#23 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

I spend quite a bit of my life on the commuter rail getting into NYC, so can identify quite a bit with the hatred of these sounds. However, it's not the sound itself that bothers me, it's the discourteous nature of the person making the sound(s) that makes me want to get out of my seat and cave in the motherfucker's shallow skull.

Talking loudly on cell phone 

Playing music on their device so loud I can hear it clearly from their shitty headphones three rows away

Chewing on ice cubes

Eating popcorn/rattling snack bags

Loud conversations 

Rattling newspaper loudly and unnecessarily every time you turn a page

Snoring....AAHAAAHHHAAHHH....fuckers!

I can handle any of these things in any other situation, but trapped on the LIRR for an hour with these inconsiderate boobs is challenging for me to cope with. Clearly, I have issues, but I just don't understand why people can't sit quietly for an hour. It's a long day and we're all trying to get through the commute.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#24 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

^^^Well.... the guys can't help the snoring..... otherwise, i agree with you.

#25 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

This time last year I read about a bloke who suffered from this who threw himself under an underground train to escape his trigger noises.

Investigation has led me to believe that I suffer from this and the related Misokinesia.

It could well be why I'm such an anti-social misanthrope.

I love Mrs Slikk dearly - honest! - but she suffers from eczema on her hands and I can see her picking at bits of skin on the palm of her hands and I just want to kill her!

The sound of plastic bottles collapsing inward when people drink from them is a trigger sound for me. A bloke at work does it all day long, I have to keep going for a piss to avoid it. I politely suggested that he pour the water into a glass, but he just looks at me gone out.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 Schmoo

Schmoo

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

Jeezus H, do we really have to come up with an official psychological condition for every trivial annoyance?  Is there an official psychological condition for being annoyed by that?  

Fucking hell, we all fume over some mundane thing or other that people do.  Get over it and stop feeling like you've found an excuse just because someone came up with a name for it.  As though naming it somehow explains it (nominal fallacy). 

Hey everyone, I have.... umm...  taphonomia.  It's a recently discovered condition that totally makes me hate rotting stuff.

Hey, I think I also have.... errr.. repellent garrulousia.  So don't blame me if I have to leave the room when you ramble on and on like that.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that this condition is backed up by more than just some pop psychologist giving it a name.  In some people's brains, the noises undoubtedly trigger more intense stress responses than they do in other people's brains.  I'd say that qualifies it as a "condition."    

• Slim likes this

#27 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Few things annoy me like a whistler.   I know they're happy and all, and innocently whistling. Which I why I don't complain... but god I hate that.

His 'whistle' is a result of his exhaling; unintentional (he must have messed up lips because I can`t reproduce it).   Worse, he wears headphones so he has no freaking clue that he can be heard throughout the gym....

grrr.....

Proud Knobhead

#28 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that this condition is backed up by more than just some pop psychologist giving it a name.  In some people's brains, the noises undoubtedly trigger more intense stress responses than they do in other people's brains.  I'd say that qualifies it as a "condition."    

Well ok, great.  Go join a support group and talk about how nails down a chalkboard drives you CRRAAAAAZY.  Or better yet, pay someone to listen to you complain about whistling noses.  Or go have some brain surgery (it's not me, it's my brain!).  

The rest of just will just deal with it.

By the way, hi Scott!  Good to see you around. :)

• GhostWriter likes this

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#29 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Exactly right.  And MT hit on the other fact (billion dollar business).

Hermie, you did strike a nerve.  For years I have despised much of clinical psychology and the pop psychology mindset.  My intention was not to attack you per se, but your topic is a quintessential example of the garbage people are fed on a daily basis.  

Please tell me how your life is better now that someone made up a name for the vexing experiences you describe.  The relief you feel upon learning the name is an illusion.

Of course not.  Not the same thing.  Unless your "misophonia" keeps you in bed all day, threatens your ability to hold down a job or maintain a family, and nothing your friends or family do seems to help.

I am so endebted to my mother who graciously made me develope the art of being able to 'ignore' certain sounds at will.  My brain has gained the ability to 'screen out' specific or inane noises at any time.  God Bless you, Mom!   :all hail  blue:  :) ;) :P

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#30 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Innocentwhistle.gif

:P ;) :D

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#31 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Well ok, great.  Go join a support group and talk about how nails down a chalkboard drives you CRRAAAAAZY.  Or better yet, pay someone to listen to you complain about whistling noses.  Or go have some brain surgery (it's not me, it's my brain!).  

By the way, hi Scott!  Good to see you around. :)

OMG ! You`re that whistler aren`t you !!! (and I thought you were younger).

BTW - you smell like a dead cat, but that`s probably some other phobia....

:P

Proud Knobhead

#32 Schmoo

Schmoo

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

Well ok, great. Go join a support group and talk about how nails down a chalkboard drives you CRRAAAAAZY. Or better yet, pay someone to listen to you complain about whistling noses. Or go have some brain surgery (it's not me, it's my brain!).

By the way, hi Scott! Good to see you around. :)

Hi :)

My point was that to those who suffer from this condition, it's more than just an annoyance, as it is to you and me. It's physiological.

#33 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Hi :)

My point was that to those who suffer from this condition, it's more than just an annoyance, as it is to you and me. It's physiological.

Don't you mean psychological?

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#34 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

I may have a mild case of this.  Certainly doesn't make me angry, anxious, or violent but I notice certain repetitive audible things annoy me that others don't even notice.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#35 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Sudden REALLY loud coughs or sneezes are like nails on a chalkboard to me (both make me cringe and trigger internal reactions that I've since been able to mainly ignore).

In school, trying to take tests was never fun because I could hear EVERYTHING. Someone using their pencil's eraser. Feet shuffling, desk settling, etc. Found it difficult to concentrate. I then found out the music was my saviour. If I wanted to study, I played music in the background and as long as I didn't get INTO the music too much, I found it made all the annoying sounds go away and I could focus much better. I can still hear pins drop on carpet. Hypersensitivity can suck at times, but as with anything else in life, you adapt and move on if you want to progress.

#36 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

^ Baroque music is perfect for studying...

Those who know what's best for us...

#37 Inspector 12

Inspector 12

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationInland West

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

The sound of something sliding across a cement floor (such as a cardboard box) will make my whole body cringe into odd shapes.  And styrofoam squeaking against itself, yeah, that too.  Add the two together?  Styrofoam sliding across a cement floor, and you have the perfect mix of torture device w/ which to force the launch codes of many nuclear devices out of me.  Heck, at that point I'll just make shit up.  Please stop making that sound, please...for the love of all that is good and holy, STOP!!!

Could be meat, could be cake.

#38 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:21 PM

A list of triggers I found in another article:

Gum chewing
Eating sounds
Lip smacking
Speaking sounds (s, p, k)
Breathing sounds
Chewing noises
Repetitive softer sounds like pen clicking, pencil tapping
Nasal noises, throat clearing
Sucking through the teeth sounds
Sniffing
Sight of gum chewing or eating with the mouth open
Pet licking or nails clicking
High heels on hard floors (huh? I love that sound!!)
Dogs barking

Yet you haven't a problem with nu-metal. Hmm.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#39 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

I had a guy next to me at the salad bar, waiting his turn while I was picking lettuce. Started humming. It was awkward, and I didn't think it would annoy me, but it did. Ugh. Useless noise.... 

#40 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

I spend quite a bit of my life on the commuter rail getting into NYC, so can identify quite a bit with the hatred of these sounds. However, it's not the sound itself that bothers me, it's the discourteous nature of the person making the sound(s) that makes me want to get out of my seat and cave in the motherfucker's shallow skull.

Talking loudly on cell phone 

Playing music on their device so loud I can hear it clearly from their shitty headphones three rows away

Chewing on ice cubes

Eating popcorn/rattling snack bags

Loud conversations 

Rattling newspaper loudly and unnecessarily every time you turn a page

Snoring....AAHAAAHHHAAHHH....fuckers!

I can handle any of these things in any other situation, but trapped on the LIRR for an hour with these inconsiderate boobs is challenging for me to cope with. Clearly, I have issues, but I just don't understand why people can't sit quietly for an hour. It's a long day and we're all trying to get through the commute.

I have a cure for that.....shootkill.gif

sarcasmdripping.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"