Photo

Try to stop watching this video...I dare you!

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

If y'all dig that there is a band from Japan with a little more irony:

They rule.  I've seen em.  Amazing.

Hmmmm... not bad, but nothing to write home about.  I got the feeling of Japanese Devo, which is okay, because Devo isn't bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#22 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2014

July 1st, 2014 La Cigale Paris, France
Ticket link : www.veryshow.fr

July 3rd, 2014 Live Music Hall Cologne, Germany
Ticket link : www.x-why-z.eu

July 5th, 2014 Sonisphere Festival Knebworth, United Kingdom
Ticket link : www.sonisphere.co.uk

July 7th, 2014 Electric Ballroom London, United Kingdom
Ticket link : www.kililive.com

September 14th, 2014 Makuhari Messe Chiba, Japan
Ticket link : www.red-hot.ne.jp

Edit:  Their Sonisphere appearance changed from the 7th on the Bohemian side stage to the 5th on the main Apollo stage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#23 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

love it!

#24 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

New video posted to You Tube.  I'm guessing this is highlights from their two sold out Nippon Budokan shows.  Nice to see really clear video of the actual band, including closeups of the instruments.  The "video" band in skeleton costumes - Baby Bones - are just a mime band.  Nice stage production, and I appreciate that they give the band some time to themselves as well.

Anyway, the end of the video reiterates what I posted above about the new tour dates.  Notice that it also says "...and more."  There's a month or so between the last listed date in Europe and the Chiba date, so probably a few more Yurpean dates.  Would be nice if they also came to the US, but even if they did, it'll probably only be places like Los Angeles, *maybe* New York.  They sure as hell won't come to Ohio - why go to a place where it sounds like they're saying "good morning" every time they say the name of the state? :D

#25 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

Brilliant...absolutely brilliant.

lol

#26 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

Took them less than a day to sell out the Electric Ballroom date.

https://www.facebook...ETAL.jp?fref=nf

#27 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Entertaining visuals, the music is decent, but who are the actual musicians?  It just appears as if everything is being pantomimed and lip-synced. 

I don't hate it, as the videos are fun to watch, but it just seems too.... manufactured.  Similar to a Justin Beiber, but in the Japanese-metal realm.

#28 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Entertaining visuals, the music is decent, but who are the actual musicians?  It just appears as if everything is being pantomimed and lip-synced. 

I don't hate it, as the videos are fun to watch, but it just seems too.... manufactured.  Similar to a Justin Beiber, but in the Japanese-metal realm.

This article has info about the musicians about halfway down:  http://babymetal.net/behind-babymetal/

Another bit about the band, including videos of their own stuff: http://babymetal.net...band-explained/

There's another place I saw that has a list of the various musicians, but I can't remember where I saw it.  Once I find it, I'll edit it in here.  One thing I *do* know is that they occasionally switch out musicians because most of these guys have primary bands they are with and might not be able to make it to a particular Babymetal show.

Oh, and reposting the Tour Promo video since the one I posted previously is broken: 

You can definitely see the musicians are really playing.  If they're wearing white robes and have facepaint, they're the real ones.  If they're wearing skeleton suits, they're the "mime" band.  In their video, Megitsune, the band is obviously miming, but I don't know if those are the actual band or the "Baby Bones" skeleton guys.

Edit: As for it being "manufactured"... yeah, it is, in a way.  But then, pretty much *anything* music-wise from Japan is manufactured, at least as far as the major labels go.  The indy scene there is better, but extremely niche.  From what little I've been able to catch from various articles, the band *do* get some say in the music, and the girls add their own touches here and there.  What I'm hoping for is that they get big enough, and last long enough, for them to start getting away from the manufactured part of the band.  I doubt that'll happen though - Japan is *really* rigid in that sort of thing.

Also, the following are from their wiki page:

Marty Friedman ex guitarist of metal band Megadeth wrote on Facebook:

Have you heard BABYMETAL yet? They are one of the many great exports from Japan!

Takayoshi Ohmura who plays guitar in my solo band is also the guitarist for BABYMETAL.

If you wanna hear some unique metal, I recommend you check them out!
—Have you heard BABYMETAL yet? They are one of the many great exports from Japan![26]

Matthew Kiichi Heafy from the band Trivium wrote on Twitter:

Just hearing about @BABYMETAL_JAPAN, rest of the world? These kids rock! pic.twitter.com/QD52wWZkvZ

—These kids rock![27]

Pete Wentz, bassist and primary lyricist for the American rock band Fall Out Boy, wrote on Twitter:

Happy Sunday! Trust me on this one: http://t.co/sEk5Ss94ep (cc: @bananasmc)

—Trust me on this one[28]

Rock band Garbage wrote on Twitter:

This is our video of the day. Dying from the pure sick genius weirdness…………… http://t.co/7B21PbTPsF

—Pure sick genius weirdness[29]

Lzzy Hale from hard rock band Halestorm wrote on Twitter:

Ok seriously...this video will change your life.... Or your pants...or just be all you think about for the next 20min http://m.youtube.com...h?v=2vvW6ZWjd88

—this video will change your life[30]

Kelly Hu wrote on Facebook:

I can’t enough of this band, BabyMetal! Makes me wish I was 15 and still living in Japan… and on speed. And they’re singing about my favorite thing ever! Totally got my costume for Halloween. New workout video, perhaps???

—I can’t enough of this band[31]

• SJS likes this

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

Haha. In this one it shows the girls themselves shredding.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

This one really pushes the J-pop/extreme metal angle.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

This one ain't about chocolate...

Death

#32 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:38 AM

Liked it so much, you had to post it three times?

Is that one for each eye?

The song title is No More Bullying or Bullying, No, Never, depending on how you translate it.

Ijime,Dame,Zettai

Rururu…

Hah!

Dreaming, I couldn’t have even it.
Between the light and the darkness, I stayed alone.

Those who got hurt were not only I myself,
but also those who kept on watching me. It was you.

Confidence, [Have it!]
I couldn’t have. [Don't be beaten!]
I kept on hiding [I dislike to be found!]
until yesterday. [Yesterday is gone!]
But good-bye to yesterdays’ myself. [Bye-bye!]

Bullying. [No!] Bullying. [No!]
It’s disgraceful. [No! No! No! No!]
Sometimes you get hurt, sometimes you hurt someone,
and we all get badly hurt.

Fox, [Fly!] Fox, [Fly!]
I’m sure you can fly. [Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly!]
Let your pain and sadness all go outside!
It’s OK because I’ll protect you.

I didn’t show my tears, and in the night I was about to cry,
in a room deep inside my heart, I stayed alone.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,
but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

Nothing [Nothing!]
could I say. [Say nothing!?]
I was about to give up [No easy throwing out!]
until yesterday. [Yesterday is gone!]
But good-bye to yesterdays’ myself. [Bye-bye!]

Fox, [Fly!] Fox, [Fly!]
I’m sure you can fly. [Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly!]

Pain…
Aching…
All the while…
Alone…
Your heart…
Pretending not to notice…
Anymore…
I’ll never get away.
Bullying, No, Absolutely.

Full of dearest-ness, it’s pressuring but also encouraging.
Anymore, anymore your…
I don’t want to see anymore your tearful face.

Fox, [Fly!] Fox, [Fly!]
I’m sure you can fly.

Bullying, No, absolutely. [No! No! No! No!]
Bullying, No, forever.
Bullying, No, absolutely. [No! No! No! No!]
Bullying, No, never.

And a bit of explanation:

Who Are “I” and “You” of This Song?

In the original lyric there are only one “anata” and four “kimi” (these for single “you”) and none for “I”, “we” and plural “you”. There are also three “jibun” but this word is for “one” of “saying one’s opinion”, “seeing oneself”, etc. So, for a proper translation, I should decide who say and to whom it is to say. I’ve tried but I may have mistaken.

If you feel nothing strange about my uses of “I”, “you”, etc., or if you already know what the bullying is like, these analyses are redundant.

In so-called verses (in Japanese, A mero; =”Dreaming…” and “I didn’t show…”), “I” is the bullied (=someone that is being bullied). “You” at the end of the first verse is the friend of the bullied, and probably “my friend” of the second refers to the same person.

In so-called bridges (in Japanese, B mero; =”Confidence…” and “Nothing…”), “I” is the bullied or the friend. Anyway, the determination “good-bye to yesterdays’ myself” is expressed. Or, this section may be the imperative sentence from the lyric writer to both the bullied and the friend (= Say good-bye to yesterdays’ yourselves). As said above, literally it’s not “myself” but “oneself”, and there is none for “I”.

Each of so-called choruses (in Japanese, sabi) is divided in two. In the first halves (=”Bullying…”), “I” is anyone that stands against the bullying. “You” are those who hurt someone: the bullier, the bystander (maybe including the friend), and possibly the bullied oneself (because the bullied may be a bystander, or even a bullier, for the others that are bullied). I use the inclusive “we”, thinking of, say, the whole (school) class including the bulliers, the bullieds, and the bystanders. And I want to say “We hurt each other.”

In the second halves of choruses (=”Fox…”), “I” is those against the bullying and “you” is those who are hurt.

In so-called middle eight or release (in Japanese, C mero; =”Pain… get away”) and farther until “… crying face”, “I” is the friend and “you” is the bullied.

Romaji lyrics:

rururu~ ru rururu~ ru
ru~ ru~ ru ru~ ru~ ru~
rururu~ ruru rururu~ ruru
rururu~ ru rururururu~

Ah~~

Yume o miru koto sore sae mo motenakute
Hikari to yami no hazama hi.to.ri
Kizutsuita no wa jibun jishin dake janaku
Mitsume tsudzukete kureta a.na.ta
Jishin (Motte) motezu (makenaide)
Kakure tsudzuketa (ijikechaiya)
Kinou (yesterday) made no
Jibun sayonara (bye bye)

Ijime,(dame,) ijime,(dame,)
Kakkowaruiyo (dame dame dame dame)
Kizutsuite kizutsukete kizu darake ni naru no sa
Kitsune,(Tobe,) kitsune,(Tobe,)
Kitto toberu yo (tobe tobe tobe tobe)
Kurushimi mo kanashimi mo subete tokihanate
Kimi o mamorukara

Namida misezu ni naki dashi souna yoru wa
Kokoro no oku no heya ni hi.to.ri
Kizutsuketa no wa hoka no dareka dake janaku
Kidzukanai furi shi teta na.ka.ma
Nani mo (nasshin) iezu (Say nothing)
Akirame kaketa (poisutekinshi)
Kinou (yesterday) made no
Jibun sayonara (baibaaaai)

Kitto toberu yo (tobe tobe tobe tobe)
Kimi o mamorukara

(Itami) (kanjite) (zutto) (hitori) (kokoro)
(Kidzukanai furi) (mou nigenai)
(Ijime, dame, zettai)

Itoshikute setsunakute kokoro dzuyokute
Kore ijou mou kimi no nakigao wa mitakunai

Kitto toberu yo
Kimi o mamorukara

Ijime, dame, zettai (dame dame dame dame)
Ijime, dame, forever
Ijime, dame, zettai (dame dame dame dame)
Ijime, dame, dame,

#33 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:02 AM

Domo arigato.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

Liked it so much, you had to post it three times?

Is that one for each eye?

Apparently my computer likes it that much because I don't know how that happened. Choppy web connection? My cheapo optical mouse acting up again? In any event, I'm filling in the duplicate posts with other videos.

#35 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

Domo arigato.

De nada.  :D

Apparently my computer likes it that much because I don't know how that happened. Choppy web connection? My cheapo optical mouse acting up again? In any event, I'm filling in the duplicate posts with other videos.

That'll work.  At least they won't go to waste.

While I'm here, I just found these a couple days ago.  Videos with commentary by the girls (I think from the DVD that comes with one of the collector's versions of their album...?  Both of these songs are from waaaay back - I think Doki Doki Morning was their first single - just checked... it was their first DVD single from 2011, the other one is from 2012):

The first one is a lot like Roll the Bones.  Watch it all the way through and you'll understand.  :P

#36 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

This one ain't about chocolate...

Death

This one is actually pretty cool.  The cute factor is dialed *way* down and allows the band to shine more up front... not to mention the whole audience participation thing.

It's interesting to note that because of the way the Japanese pronounce "death", it gives an added dimension to the song.  The audience is saying "death", but when the girls each say their name, they end it with "desu", which basically is an old, formal way to say "I am" or "we are".  Forex: Su says "Su-Metal desu", but because the "u" is more or less silent (and the way the Japanese pronounce some words), it comes out sounding like she's saying, "Su-Metal death".  It's almost a pun.

They do this in their interview videos, while flashing the kitsune (fox) -sign: Su-Metal desu!... Moa-Metal desu!... Yui-Metal desu!... (all three together) Babymetal desu!

The same thing when they do the spelling chant of their name:  B-A-B-Y-M-E-T-A-L (desu)

Edit: Found this earlier today.  The guy is a singer for a band called The Dialectic.

#37 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:21 AM

Oh, my.  It seems they're taking a lot of people by surprise.  The Electric Ballroom date in London has been changed to The Forum.

http://www.mcmbuzz.c...-changes-venue/

Only two days ago we announced that BABYMETAL would be holding their first solo concert in London on July 7th. With the word spreading that this would be an event not to miss, tickets began to sell like hot cakes. In just 48 hours the tickets were completely sold out for their concert at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, London. It seems the organisers had doubts as to whether BABYMETAL would be very popular with the UK J-rock scene. Little did they know that BABYMETAL are one of the biggest things to hit the music scene in a long time.

With the tickets selling fast and an extreme outcry for more tickets to be sold, the organisers Kililive.com have ventured to holding the concert at a new venue. It was announced on BABYMETAL’s Official Twitter that he concert will now be held at “The HMV Forum“. More tickets are now available, and still at the same price of £25 (not including handling and booking fee). The doors open at 7:00pm and will end around 11:00pm. Whilst your excitement levels will be rising, why don’t you check out their trailer for their solo concerts and be sure to check back to MCM Buzz for our very own coverage of the event.

#38 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

I wanna change my name to T-Riangle.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#39 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Interesting, for sure. 

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the vocal and musical approach wrok together!

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#40 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

This article has info about the musicians about halfway down:  http://babymetal.net/behind-babymetal/

Another bit about the band, including videos of their own stuff: http://babymetal.net...band-explained/

There's another place I saw that has a list of the various musicians, but I can't remember where I saw it.  Once I find it, I'll edit it in here.  One thing I *do* know is that they occasionally switch out musicians because most of these guys have primary bands they are with and might not be able to make it to a particular Babymetal show.

Oh, and reposting the Tour Promo video since the one I posted previously is broken: 

You can definitely see the musicians are really playing.  If they're wearing white robes and have facepaint, they're the real ones.  If they're wearing skeleton suits, they're the "mime" band.  In their video, Megitsune, the band is obviously miming, but I don't know if those are the actual band or the "Baby Bones" skeleton guys.

Edit: As for it being "manufactured"... yeah, it is, in a way.  But then, pretty much *anything* music-wise from Japan is manufactured, at least as far as the major labels go.  The indy scene there is better, but extremely niche.  From what little I've been able to catch from various articles, the band *do* get some say in the music, and the girls add their own touches here and there.  What I'm hoping for is that they get big enough, and last long enough, for them to start getting away from the manufactured part of the band.  I doubt that'll happen though - Japan is *really* rigid in that sort of thing.

Also, the following are from their wiki page:

I get a serious Spinal Tap vibe at the beginning and especially at the end when the virus "depart".

LYqbjSn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users