Photo

Falling all over the place (or, where I've been lately)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

Hi everyone. wavey.gif

You probably noticed I have not been around for a while (or maybe not!). For those of you who did wonder where I was, I've been recovering from a knee injury I had a month ago when I fell in my garage. I landed directly on my knee, on the concrete. Very painful. Turns out I had internal bleeding in the knee and the doctor said I'd have about 6-8 weeks to recover. Things have been slow but steady. I couldn't even walk or get out of bed for over 2 weeks, and then the doctor wanted me to have an extra week of bed rest besides! So it's been frustrating, but I'm still alive and I'm recovering. Look forward to catching up with everything going on around here.

Since this is the place for such topics, has anyone ever had an injury like this? If so, how long did it take before feeling "normal" again? It will be a month tomorrow since this happened and I feel like I've maybe improved a small percentage since then (I can walk a little, but standing for more than a minute or so is still out of the question). Is there permanent damage or will I eventually get back to where I was (which wasn't all that great to start with)? Thanks!!!

• Greg and grep like this
"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#2 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Ouch, that sucks. I don't any experience with that type of injury. Hopefully you can get back to feeling normal again.

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I hurt my knee a few months back and ugh, what a thing we all take for granted.  It's like two bones balanced end-to-end with a bunch of rubber bands.  If the tension in one of the rubber bands goes awry, the balance is upset, and compensating for that hurts too.  I'm fine, took a few weeks to heal, but can relate.  Hang in there!

#4 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

good to see you back around. i've never hurt any knees though. didn't you have internet in bed? lol

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#5 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

I had something similar to what Joe's discribing, thought I'd done some serious damage and even had an MRI, nothing was seriously wrong and it got better over the course of a couple weeks, with some Ibuprofen to help it along...are you taking anti-inflamatory pills(ibu, acetaminifen, etc)??? Hope it heals up soon, gimpy sucks...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#6 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

Who are you again?  :P

Anyway, I hope you get back on your feet again. I sucks being gimpy.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#7 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

Well technically I am "gimpy" all the time, but this knee was my "good one". So much for that.

As of right now, my doc says he still feels fluid in the knee so we're not sure what the problem is. He's got me on some anti-inflammatory stuff that is not Ibuprofen, but another name I can't pronounce. As of my last appointment he was still waiting to get the X-rays back from the ER. My knee is still feeling pretty crappy; feels like the muscles in the back of my leg have been stretched tight. And today my back is killing me. Yay.

Thanks for all your positive words of encouragement. It's been almost 2 months and I feel very little improvement. I hope we can figure out what is wrong soon!

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

#8 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

SOrry to hear about your injury C.   Be patient, follow doctor's orders and you'll be fone soon.

Glad to have you back. :)  Welcome home.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#9 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

I once had a hyper-extension and was in bad shape for awhile, then the doc drained the fluid from my knee and after that it was a quick recovery.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#10 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Hopefully that's all it is. Keeping my fingers crossed!

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#11 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Hi C, I was indeed wondering where you were after almost a month and POOF!  You were here again.  Little bored today and wandered into this section, so at least now I know why!

I've only had one minor surgery in my lifetime and plenty of aches/pains...

Time heals some things, others need meds, and yet others need extensive surgery/therapy.  It sounds like you could some some physical therapy.  If your insurance allows, I would seek that out asap.  If you're already doing PT, then I suggest following it through and do everything they request at home.  I relaxed my at home exercises after a recent shoulder surgery and now I'm trying to get back to what I normally do with some unexpected and unwelcome pain.  Starting the exercises again but could have avoided the setback with stricter adherence to their suggestions.

Anyway, thinking the best for you!   :)

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#12 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

I got hit by a car about a year ago, and it messed my left knee up pretty bad.  I can walk without a cane again, but some days it still bothers me.  Right now it's a bit sore, actually, though not actively painful.

X-rays at the time of the accident didn't show any problems, so I'm worried something went with a tendon or something that they missed.  I can't afford more x-rays or physical therapy, though, so i'll just be gimpy.  The only thing I miss is being able to jog.

The knee really is an impressively fragile part of our body, as Joe mentioned.  But important.  Very, very important.

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Sorry to hear about your knee—get well fast!

#14 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, I'd love to get back to PT, but my insurance is a fucking joke.

Well, I went to the doc on Thursday and he wants to schedule an MRI because we can't figure out what is wrong. He did some tests on my knee and asked if they hurt and it didn't. Yet we did notice it's whenever I try to pivot the knee or put weight on it that there is pain. So yeah, maybe there is a problem in the muscles or tendons or something.

• stoopid likes this

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#15 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Yeah, I'd love to get back to PT, but my insurance is a fucking joke.

Well, I went to the doc on Thursday and he wants to schedule an MRI because we can't figure out what is wrong. He did some tests on my knee and asked if they hurt and it didn't. Yet we did notice it's whenever I try to pivot the knee or put weight on it that there is pain. So yeah, maybe there is a problem in the muscles or tendons or something.

Hopefully the MRI reveals something and they can do some PT targeting the issue to avoid surgery.

#16 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'm not holding my breath; not when it comes to my insurance.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#17 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

I tore my ACL almost 15 years ago. Not even bad enough to need surgery. It still bothers me from time to time, but not as bad as my arthritis. After a while you learn to live with the pain.

The best thing you can do is keep up with the exercises. Strengthening the muscles around the knee help to stabilize it, and take pressure off the joint itself. Think of them as a lifelong activity.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#18 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

So what's the verdict/diagnosis C?

#19 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Well, at this point I am waiting for insurance to approve an MRI. Let's hear it for the healthcare system.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#20 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

BLEAH!!! ;) :P :D

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif