Season 1: 2112

Season 2: Hemispheres

Season 3: Permanent Waves

Season 4: Signals

Season 5: Moving Pictures

Season 6: Power Windows

Season 7: Bricked Vapor Trails 

Season 8: Snakes and Arrows

Season 5 was more Presto than Moving Pictures. Anything with the Sand Snakes doesn’t deserve to be bracketed with MP. 

• chemistry1973 likes this

#322 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

Even Clegainebowl sucked.

#323 Wandering Pixie

Wandering Pixie

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

D&D sort of forgot that the show was supposed to be good.

Sort of? 😆

#324 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:25 AM

Sort of?

Subverted expectations.

#325 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

Season 1: 2112

Season 2: Hemispheres

Season 3: Permanent Waves

Season 4: Signals

Season 5: Moving Pictures

Season 6: Power Windows

Season 7: Bricked Vapor Trails 

Season 8: Snakes and Arrows

It was OK up to The Bells.  Dany went nuts far too quick, it should have taken ten episodes not five.

A better ending would have been for Jon to get Dany up the duff to complete the last chorus of the song of ice and fire, then die fighting and killing the Night King.  Dany takes out the Red Keep without laying waste to Kings Landing (thus fulfilling the prophecy of 2.10) but dies in childbirth, then Tyrion takes the baby and rules as King Regent.  Tyrion is IMO another Targaryan anyway so the line is re-established.

#326 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

I was roaring Dany and Drogon forward when they strafed the Iron Fleet - "That's it big lad, out of the Sun at them, full speed, keep turning hard, burn the bastards, burn them all!"

• grep and chemistry1973 like this

#327 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

I just want to know... when the hell did Kings Landing get relocated to Quarth? 

#328 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

I was roaring Dany and Drogon forward when they strafed the Iron Fleet - "That's it big lad, out of the Sun at them, full speed, keep turning hard, burn the bastards, burn them all!"

I had Aces High, of all things, playing in my head during that scene. "1 Drogon 109 out of the sun....."

• chemistry1973 and Moving Target like this

#329 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Mrs Target and I went to Northern Ireland. We saw the battlements of Kings Landing in the Belfast docks. We saw Castle Black.  Or at least the courtyard with the elevator.  Though it only goes up two floors.  The rest is CGI'd on.

Saw the place where Arya pulled herself out of the harbour after the waif stabbed her too.

• grep likes this

#330 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

Ok, this is complicated and will only work on a Mac or iOS device. I saw this last year before the last season was broadcast so I had some idea of what was going to happen to Kings Landing. 

If you have access to Apple Maps (for instance on an iPad) you can see certain things at the Belfast studio were important for the final episodes. Apple Maps has a 3D feature and when you look at the Titanic Studios on satellite mapping and select 3D a huge external set is revealed. Some definite hints there about what is going to happen. It doesn't show in the default 2D setting, it's only revealed when 3D is selected. 

https://maps.apple.c...DKPF8BQBA==&t=h

Close the search window. 

Select "i" in the top right corner

Select "Satellite"

Close the window

Select 3D. 

Zoom in and explore the map in that area and you'll see the set. Look for the large green screen. You can rotate the image and examine it from all sorts of angles.

• grep likes this

#331 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

06874-CE6-DF11-47-CB-ACC5-CE6393597602.j

• grep likes this

#332 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Thanks Pete. Impressive set.

Even more impressive to know how seamless the CGI was.

The writing may have been crap, but the crew really did put everything into making the show look good.

#333 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:23 PM

Did you guys notice the Chernobyl makeup test in the last episode?  That's what I call it anyway.

When Jon is walking up the avenue there, he is passed by a burn victim, obviously in shock.  The burns on the actor's body are very much like what we saw for the firefighter and the young control room guy in Chernobyl.

I'd heard that the some of the crew on GOT worked on Chernobyl, wouldn't be surprised if the victims in both shows were done up by the same people.

Chernobyl probably would have gotten it's own thread if the board was alive at the time. 3.6 likes. Not great, not terrible.

• Moving Target likes this

#334 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

I didn’t have the same problems with the ending that so many have had, although perhaps I was less invested in it having only started watching it in 2017 (although I’d watched the whole thing twice by the time the last season started) and have not read any of the books. It seemed obvious to me that Dany was going to go full on murderous dictator, it had been setup long before the end. Jon was totally unsuited to be King, especially in peace time, he had no interest in the boring job of being a good ruler. Sansa did want that but only in the North. Arya - also no interest. That just left Bran. His push out the window in the first episode started so much of what followed that it was appropriate it finished with him as King. My main issues with S8 was that it needed more time to properly explore the route to the conclusion. Also, too much action, not enough talking. 

• grep and Moving Target like this

#335 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Tyrion was reduced to a bumbling fool. He's smarter than they portrayed him.

The whole Night King fiasco. A slow buildup to that story, only to have Arya off him. Then that was it. Like....what was the point?

Agree that it was rushed, and too much action.  So many unresolved things too....like Varys' voice in the flames. That had to have meant /something/. But it was dropped....

#336 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

The Night King was always going to have to be killed and having Jon kill him was too easy and standard heroic story telling. I liked it that there was a purpose to Arya spending all those those seasons in Braavos which wasn’t what was expected (killing Cersei). Agree about Tyrion though, he didn’t seem to get anything right in the final seasons (probably because he hadn’t had a shag since season 4  :lol: ). 

• grep and Moving Target like this

#337 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

Did you guys notice the Chernobyl makeup test in the last episode?  That's what I call it anyway.

When Jon is walking up the avenue there, he is passed by a burn victim, obviously in shock.  The burns on the actor's body are very much like what we saw for the firefighter and the young control room guy in Chernobyl.

I'd heard that the some of the crew on GOT worked on Chernobyl, wouldn't be surprised if the victims in both shows were done up by the same people.

Chernobyl probably would have gotten it's own thread if the board was alive at the time. 3.6 likes. Not great, not terrible.

Loved Chernobyl, especially Jared Harris’s explanation of the meltdown in the last episode.

#338 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

I didn’t have the same problems with the ending that so many have had, although perhaps I was less invested in it having only started watching it in 2017 (although I’d watched the whole thing twice by the time the last season started) and have not read any of the books. It seemed obvious to me that Dany was going to go full on murderous dictator, it had been setup long before the end. Jon was totally unsuited to be King, especially in peace time, he had no interest in the boring job of being a good ruler. Sansa did want that but only in the North. Arya - also no interest. That just left Bran. His push out the window in the first episode started so much of what followed that it was appropriate it finished with him as King. My main issues with S8 was that it needed more time to properly explore the route to the conclusion. Also, too much action, not enough talking. 

Dany’s fall really rankled me. I had spent seven seasons shouting for the girl. I get that all her restraints were removed - her Jorah and Missandei died, her Jon rejected her, his sister hated her, then Tyrion betrayed her.... but it should have been more subtle and taken longer. Foreshadowing is not character development.

Cersei’s end didn’t convince - a tower of strength for seven seasons, reduced to sobbing in her brother’s arms in the wreck of the city. It would have been more fitting for Jaime to have killed her to broker peace with Dany, bringing his Kingslayer arc full circle.

#339 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

Jamie's arc was so abrupt and made no fucking sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users