#1 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

http://once-a-monthc...g.com/save.html

I really like this idea, but I tend to dislike food that has been frozen. Certainly some foods lend themselves to this better than others. But I'm seriously thing about giving it a go. One big ass weekend day per month where you pretty much cook most of the day, and that's it.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I mostly do the once-a-week cooking.  I get all the protein cooked off on Sunday, and then it's just vegs and sides to make during the week.  Saves a lot of time.  Once a month, yes, I agree.  Some things are just so much better fresh than frozen.

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'm such a lazy eater. Wife kindly cooks for me at the weekend but other than that - I have sandwiches or cheese and onion pasty for lunch and a microwave ready meal for dinner. Dessert is generally some kind of chocolate bar at lunchtime, and cheesecake or similar in the evening. Add a couple of beers or a vodka martini and two large cups of coffee and that's my diet.

You can pray for me when I end up in hospital. I won't mind. Fortunately I'm still pretty slim so I don't think a heart attack is on the cards for a year or two.

#4 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

I wish my man was that easy to cook for!

I'm the "lazy eater" in our house. I'm happy with just a bowl of soup or leftovers or something quick/easy to make. He, however, always seems to want the sit-down meal with a meat or fish course, etc. Ending with me throwing a bagel at his head.

• OldRUSHfan likes this
"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#5 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

A while back I experimented with making a number of breakfast sandwiches in advance to freeze. Money-wise, it didn't cost much, but after a while I got tired of eating the same thing every morning. 

I'd do this more often, but I live with picky eaters.

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#6 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

i keep stuff in the freezer, but mostly cooking is a pleasure and i cook daily or every other day. any leftovers are used the next day- i do tend to cook more than needed (meats) so that half of it i use with a different dish the next day. like the economy packages of chicken for example, i'll cook the whole thing on the grill or oven, then serve a third or fourth of it or whatever, and set the rest aside to put with other things the next couple of days.

• OldRUSHfan likes this
I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#7 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

That's our Dusty!!!  Good Cook, also!!!  (From what I've heard...)

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#8 Phalanx

Phalanx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

The wife and I do this sometimes on a weekly basis but not every week.  All depends on our mood and the time of year.  We do it more often in the winter, since I do a lot of grilling when it is warmer out.

We have one of those food sealers, you know, the one that sucks all of the air out of a bag of food and then seals it.

We would go food shopping on a Sunday morning and then cook and prep the weeks dinners that day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users