26 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

Joe Cool returns! This kind of excites me. I loved the Peanuts holiday specials of the '60s and '70s. Will this do well? Do you like the 3D look? Will your kids want to see it? Do YOU want to see it?

Peanuts teaser trailer + Grace Randolph's comments.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I could not care less if my kids don`t want to see it.  I do !!!  :P

Proud Knobhead

#3 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

3-D look SUCKS ASSbergers...I don't watch any 3-D movies  I watch the 2-Ds.....china-theater-3d-crowd.jpg

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#4 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

ORF, thank you for visiting us from the past...

• DarthLen likes this

#5 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'm here in the present Day.  I've NEVER gone for the stupid 3-D bullshit they throw at us, it doesn't impress me.  By all means, enjoy it if you like it, I don't.  :shrug: :popcorn:

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#6 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

If it keeps with the spirit of Peanuts, yes. If it becomes 90 minutes of fart/crap jokes like most reboots, no.

I understand the Schulz family is involved, so hopefully they won't ruin it.

• DarthLen likes this

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

I like how they came to a good compromise with the 3-D and 2-D look. Now you get some depth of field in Charlie Brown's universe but without sacrificing the original look of the cartoon. And I noticed how Chuck's famous voice is very close to the original.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

3-D look SUCKS ASSbergers...I don't watch any 3-D movies  I watch the 2-Ds.....

By 3-D look I'm referring to the rounded, sculpted quality of the images in any Pixar style movie whether it's presented in 3-D in theaters or not. This movie will also be shown in 2-D so you won't have to wear any funky 3-D glasses if you don't want to, Orf.

#9 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

What made the Peanuts shows and movies good went beyond the animation. The music played a big role. If I go to see this and the jazz soundtrack is replaced by Kanye and Gaga I'm going to be disappointed.

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

What made the Peanuts shows and movies good went beyond the animation. The music played a big role. If I go to see this and the jazz soundtrack is replaced by Kanye and Gaga I'm going to be disappointed.

That would be blasphemous.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#11 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I very skeptically clicked on the video to watch it.  I'm not a fan of the recent trend to convert older 2D cel-animation into 3D  CG animation (even though I do 3D modeling... go figure).

I was surprisingly impressed with what little is shown in this trailer.  As mentioned above, the voicework for Chuck (I always liked Marcy) is pretty dead-on, and even the sounds for Snoopy are good.  I was also impressed with the compromise (as whatsername mentioned) between the 2D and 3D look.  

I may actually be looking forward to this film.

Now, if it just keeps to the kind of Peanuts we grew up with, and doesn't modernize...

Oh, and while she stated she wasn't really a fan, she should still have done a bit more research.  Snoopy imagines himself a World War 1 flying ace in his Sopwith Camel.  Not WW2.

Maybe now, younger folks will get the reference in Kill Bill  :D  I had to asplain it to *my* kids.

• OldRUSHfan likes this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Snoopy is my man!!  I almost want to see this more than Episode 7.

Almost.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

falconext.png

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,857 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

The key to good Peanuts cartoons was always real children as the voices and genuine innocence in the story lines.  These aren't big kids.  What I fear is that if they make these kids take on the modern world as it relates to today's kids that purists would be up in arms.  What if Charlie Brown has a smartphone?  What if Charlie Brown knows "stranger danger"?  Would it change anything?

I think The Peanuts live in a time and space of their own but it has been relatable to the real world.  The real world has moved forward and I wonder what they will do about that.

#14 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

What would Mr Schultz do?

falconext.png

#15 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

If it keeps with the spirit of Peanuts, yes. If it becomes 90 minutes of fart/crap jokes like most reboots, no.

I understand the Schulz family is involved, so hopefully they won't ruin it.

I can't see them messing anything up, maybe that's a polyana-ic view, but judging by Charles' attitude over the years, I don't believe they would.

I like how they came to a good compromise with the 3-D and 2-D look. Now you get some depth of field in Charlie Brown's universe but without sacrificing the original look of the cartoon. And I noticed how Chuck's famous voice is very close to the original.

I understand the 'rounded' fake 3-D, and they seem to make a good adaptation....maybe i'll give it a look....

By 3-D look I'm referring to the rounded, sculpted quality of the images in any Pixar style movie whether it's presented in 3-D in theaters or not. This movie will also be shown in 2-D so you won't have to wear any funky 3-D glasses if you don't want to, Orf.

Yup.

I bought the Vince Guaraldi Trio's "Greatest Hits" album just for "Linus and Lucy" but found I liked the whole album! (Gosh what a surprise, eh?)  If I hear one word of ©RAP, I'm outta here... :angry:

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#16 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

I agree with the point of keeping the music pure.

Having said that... Joe Cool doing a little dance to a couple of bars of a deep rap style bass line, as part of a gag, would be kind of entertaining. But that's as far as I'd go.

falconext.png

#17 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Do YOU want to see it?

Nope.  Never liked it.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

I don't mind a little updating but please don't over do it! The upbeat and by turns contemplative piano jazz soundtrack is what Peanuts is all about. When you think about it, this cartoon is kind of heavy. Most of the other kids actually really dislike Charlie Brown and they bully him mercilessly. Charlie is a depressed kid.

• grep and Moving Target like this

#19 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I've loved "Peanuts" since the characters looked different than what is now considered 'Classic'...The first coloring book my Parents bought me was a "Peanuts" one, Two inches thick.  What are coloring books like now?  Usually UNDER a quarter of an inch!  Unfortunately, it was lost when my parents house was cleared when they moved to a retirement apt. set up.

I don't mind a little updating but please don't over do it! The upbeat and by turns contemplative piano jazz soundtrack is what Peanuts is all about. When you think about it, this cartoon is kind of heavy. Most of the other kids actually really dislike Charlie Brown and they bully him mercilessly. Charlie is a depressed kid.

Charlie is not always depressed!  Put down that broad brush, 3eyes.gif!

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#20 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

broad-brush-with-red-paint-clipart-57031

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users