Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Ok, what`s up with this beer? 

The brewery decided to start distributing in Massachusetts using a modest advertising campaign.  Apparently its available in only 13 or 14 states....

I picked up a 12-pack thinking I found a new beer to abuse, er enjoy....

Unfortunately. the only flavor I can compare it to is a 50/50 mix of Budweiser and Coors...yuck.... 2.0 Stars out of 5.0

beer_-_handmade_cold_process_soap_b4447a

Proud Knobhead

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Not available in CT, but I'm on the border so I can buy in NY.  Think Coors in the 70s, east of the Mississippi, legendary because it's not readily available.  It's a serviceable beer.  It's the oldest brewery in the US.   If there were 6 taps, that contained Yuengling, Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Blue Moon, Corona, I'd pick Yuengling.  Gasp, that situation I just don't want to think about!

I buy American Craft, but if I were having a party, I'd buy some Yuengling for the people who wouldn't appreciate that.

#3 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I prefer Becks, but because of the price, Budweiser is my go to beer for weekend enjoyment (no light crap).

What I did like is the variety Yuengling offers:  Black and Tan, Ale and Porter (I think).  I may give those a shot at some point....

Proud Knobhead

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I prefer Becks, but because of the price, Budweiser is my go to beer for weekend enjoyment (no light crap).

What I did like is the variety Yuengling offers:  Black and Tan, Ale and Porter (I think).  I may give those a shot at some point....

I'd say that you'd probably be happier replacing your Budweiser drinking with Yuengling.  It's definitely an upgrade.  You'll taste the malt and the hops that they use are more reminiscent of the beer that American Budweiser poorly copies.  The black and tan, porter and lager are all decent.  What they have on tap is the lager that you pictured above.  Again, very serviceable, Light American Lager.  Just not for me.

#5 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yuengling Lager is my water. My everyday knock around, go to beer. It absolutely beats the shit out of Bud, Coors and other mega brewed pisswater.

That said, the fridge is not complete without an ample selection of craft beers/micro brews. The current ones are Green Man ESB, Stone Levitation Ale, Trooper Ale, Rogue Dead Guy and a 64 oz growler of Hoptropium IPA from my local brew pub.

Cheers!
  • Planet X-1 likes this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#6 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hmmm...ok, I think I have been convinced to give it another shot this afternoon.

I better be hungover as hell tomorrow....  :D

Proud Knobhead

#7 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

lol - I had one of the brewmasters from the Yeungling brewery here in Tampa live next to me for a decade; He was hilarious when he was drinking his own concoctions to the extreme on some nights, taking great pride in his work. I'd take Blue Moon over it from FJ's list of 6 above... But yea, I'm a Becks/St. Pauli Girl guy for normal drinking, but definitely love the lambics & the Maudite!

#8 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

I've tried it and like it.

Problem is that it gives me headache and hangover. Weird... That one and Bass only.
Anything else, I can drink like a fish.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

BeerSnob_BeerSnob.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#10 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Never had (or heard of) it until now.

Most beer I drink comes out of the Spoetzel brewery, though.  Or Germany or Belgium.  American-style beers usually aren't my thing.  Maybe I'll give it a shot at some point.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#11 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:12 AM

I'm gonna be in and around Reno next month. What are the chances I can score me some Pliny the Elder?

Obviously,  the odds will be better if can find the time and means to get out to Cali.

If yes, where?

987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#12 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

I'm gonna be in and around Reno next month. What are the chances I can score me some Pliny the Elder?

Obviously,  the odds will be better if can find the time and means to get out to Cali.

If yes, where?

That's kind of a tough call, they don't have big distribution.  A rare beers collector/bar maybe.  That's on my to try list too.

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

Never had (or heard of) it until now.

Most beer I drink comes out of the Spoetzel brewery, though.  Or Germany or Belgium.  American-style beers usually aren't my thing.  Maybe I'll give it a shot at some point.

This is really the peak of American brewing we are going through right now.  I said that a year ago, mind you, but things got better.  The IPA storm has let itself develop into a nice Saisson summer and all kinds of good winter warmers came out.  Don't miss this stuff.  Go out and try a bunch of it before the big brewers buy up all of these breweries and it goes to shit, or if they up their distribution and fuck it all up like they did last time.

Have you tried Victory Golden Monkey?  A very accessible Belgian-style American.  You can find it in Whole Foods.  There are better but this is easy to find.

#14 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:28 AM

This is really the peak of American brewing we are going through right now.  I said that a year ago, mind you, but things got better.  The IPA storm has let itself develop into a nice Saisson summer and all kinds of good winter warmers came out.  Don't miss this stuff.  Go out and try a bunch of it before the big brewers buy up all of these breweries and it goes to shit, or if they up their distribution and fuck it all up like they did last time.

Have you tried Victory Golden Monkey?  A very accessible Belgian-style American.  You can find it in Whole Foods.  There are better but this is easy to find.

I have had it, and it was quite good.  I'm okay drinking American beer.  It's American-style beer (weak, watery, flavorless) that I'm not a huge fan of.

We have a few small craft breweries here in and around Texas, and I've tried what I can, but we're not as good as the coastal regions for really good stuff.  I've got a friend up in Seattle who comes down occasionally with microbrew samples, and they're exceptional.  And I always make sure to check out the local places when I visit family up in Illinois.

• Slut Puppy likes this

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#15 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I just don't care much for light golden American (or any origin, really) lagers. They tend to be made with a lot of "filler grains," like rice and just don't have the flavor or mouth feel (body) I seek. I tend to like dark German lagers when I get dragged to an Oktoberfest or something. I do like some lighter (in color) ales, like Boddinton's, countless IPAs & IIPAs. I'm just thrilled that the American craft (and home) brew market has grown such that there is a staggering variety of beer in many or most major cities these days.

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#16 Contentment

Contentment

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

I tried the lager when I was in upstate New York.  I'm not much of a lager drinker and prefer the darker beers over the lighter ones with Guinness being my favorite.  Yeungling lager is ok, but I wish I had time to try the other brews.

#17 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:08 AM

Yuengling had been my beer of choice at the local sports bar I watch games and PPV's at, but they've made some major changes to their tap line of late, bringing in Dos Equis, Modelo Especial, New Belgium Fat Tire, and Mackeson XXX.  Woot!

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#18 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yuengling: Pennsylvanian for Budweiser

#19 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:21 AM

Yuengling: Pennsylvanian for Budweiser

Yeungling is still better than that horse piss.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#20 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

I lived in Philly for nearly 10 years.  When I first arrived there (by way of NYC) I was confused that everyone ordered/referred to it as "Lager".  I was like "What kind of Lager..?"  Kind of the way they order cheesesteaks "with" or "without", part of a long, local heritage.  Decent everyday beer, leaps better than Bud, Coors, or Miller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users