Photo

Rush Fans Unite! Walmart has new ad featuring "Working Man"!

rush walmart working man

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 javaknowledge

javaknowledge

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Been a longtime Rush Fan. Love a Rush Fan.

So I don't know if anybody or everybody knows about this but Walmart started a new ad a week ago that features "Working Man".  It's got me quite upset. We all know Rush is the plain speaking, upright, go their own way band. Not sure how they let Walmart use this song. Yes, I know, they've had songs used for commercials before but this is different.

Walmart is known for it's unethical, immoral, and sometimes unlawful practices. Don't believe me? http://en.wikipedia....lmart#Criticism

Here are the ads:  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0LYI--n-tjE   http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rpsrKIrF8B4

I say this is wrong. I say we should let Walmart know. I say go to the videos and let them know.   :angry:

#2 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

lol

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#3 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

I say WalMart's a business, they can contract with whomever they want for media in their advertisements.  I'd also say that WalMart's current push to sell more american-made goods is laudable and that we ought to see them as something other than a mustache-twirling villain.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#4 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

If this has got you quite upset, you really need to get a life.

Hey...where's Perry?

#5 javaknowledge

javaknowledge

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Wow...I am on the Rush board right? Nobody has a problem with Walmart using Rush? I guess I have to rethink everything.

#6 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

I find it ironic that WalMart is touting American made products with a Canadian song.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#7 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

• The Enemy Within likes this

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#8 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

By the way welcome to the board javaknowledge.  Be ready for debate or don't.  It's your choice...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#9 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Glittering prizes and endless compromises.

• Pressure/Hopenosis and fast eddie like this

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#10 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

As you can tell, Javaknowledge, if you didin't check out the other sub-forums in this main RUSH forum, we do have a thread about this video in the 'RUSH' sub-forum.... 'New RUSH video on Youtube' or somesuch....but yeah, we knew about it, and Walmart can do whatever they deem necessary to promote their business.  Ya gotta put up with it or don't.  I shop there for groceries because I save over $100 dollars over anywhere else near here.   Like Ben Franklin said, "A penny saved, is a penny earned."  It's what it's all about, unfortunately. moneyeyes.gif

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#11 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Walmart has been the "villain" for so long, some of it rightly so, that most people don't know or stop to actually read about the changes they've made. It's just easier to continue parroting the same claptrap and not engage one's brain. 

As for Rush, it's their music and they can do with it as they please. My guess is the largest retailer in the world made them a very generous offer and they gladly accepted it. What gets me is the Rush apologists trying to make excuses. Someone on Facebook posting about this said that "they are just trying to make it in this shitty economy like the rest of us". That would be laughable if it wasn't such a pathetic statement.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#12 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Wonder if there'll be a Walmart movie on the screens when they play it next tour.
  • Pressure/Hopenosis likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#13 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

LMAO! ^^^

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

You'd be hard pressed to find a big company that hasn't been up to some kind of shit.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#15 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

I'm not crazy about the connection between the two, it inferrs that Rush is cool with WalMart and I seriously doubt that Rush, or any of the members of Rush are "cool with WalMart". But like 3i's sez, big corps do some shitty stuff, it's all a matter of degree...it is a rather well done ad, tho, and the commitment is cool, even if it does only amount to a few percent of their purchasing over the next 10 yrs...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#16 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

So are people implying that this was done without Rush's knowledge or support?  :rolleyes:

#17 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

Nawww, I'm sure they were compensated, and aware of the context...it is a positive msg, but maybe a bit misleading considering the shitty overall impact WalMart has on the communities it fucks over...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#18 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Yesterday, I bought a small strainer (for straining liquids in the kitchen) at a Walmart. I'd be a hypocrite if I came out against the video.

The most ironic thing is what has already been brought up: the lyric of WM is about a working stiff who can't get ahead, which, let's face it, is every Walmart employee, unless they move on in their careers...

• A Rebel and a Runner and fast eddie like this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

You don't need to ask permission to use a track. You just have to pay for licensing.

#20 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

^^^ If you know differently, do tell, but I've read that when a song is set to moving images, permission is required and a hit song can be pretty expensive. But if you're just a band that wants to cover another artist's song, no permission is needed, You just have to pay the songwriter royalties based on a federally set rate. I think it's in the area of 8 percent per unit sold. So anyone here can record and release a Rush song commercially. You just have to make sure Ged, Al and Neil get their cut of the sales.

• fenderjazz likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rush, walmart, working man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users