153 replies to this topic

#141 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

I really like both those songs. We Built this City is so corny but so feelgood anyway.

I have no recollection of writing the post you replied to, I've always liked White Rabbits so can't believe I'd make a derogatory comment about it. Maybe about We Built This City On Rock & Roll but never White Rabbits.

I was hammered though...

#142 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

There's the off-chance that he really has suffered blunt-force head trauma, in which case I'm a bad person for my interpretation of him as a troll pretending to be a raging moron.

But most likely, he's a troll pretending to be a raging moron.

His humor, if it is indeed intentional, is downright Kaufmanesque.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#143 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

I have no recollection of writing the post you replied to, I've always liked White Rabbits so can't believe I'd make a derogatory comment about it. Maybe about We Built This City On Rock & Roll but never White Rabbits.

I was hammered though...

I bleeve it's singular. As in, White Rabbit. But you were hammered so...

• The Enemy Within likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#144 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Coldplay? Please tell me you're kidding.

I think he meant Oasis ;)

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#145 gomer

gomer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

Rush needs to get moptop haircuts or one direction haircuts and publicity photos. And they could land at Kennedy airport or yy zed and come up with one liners ..Honestly..the Beatles have better material with their songs that were left off albums than 99% of pop acts.They are an anomaly that will be remembered in posterity..like 100 years from now.Most popular music is forgotten .I think rush has some stuff that will be remembered I know I will

#146 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

Rush's whole plan was to be remembered at least until 2112.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#147 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:29 AM

Paul turned 75 today.

987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#148 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:52 AM

Here is is colluding with the Russians.

987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#149 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

It's funny that this old thread came back to life just as I am absorbed in the brand new Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary Box Set.  Anyone who questions their greatness should strap on some headphones and listen to the new stereo mix of this record - and also the early takes compiled in this set.  These guys were an amazing band who, especially at this juncture in their career, were just overflowing with ideas.  I mean, listening to the 2015 remix of Strawberry Fields alone is astounding... I am a big ole Rush fan, but this track by itself has as much creativity and vision crammed into it as 2112 or Hemispheres does.  

• chemistry1973 and SpaceGhost2112 like this

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#150 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDC Universe

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

They are both great bands.  I don't think it's fair to compare them because they are different genres.  Rush is progressive rock/hard rock.  The Beatles were pop/rock. 

• timbale likes this

"Hate in your heart will consume you too."

#151 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

They are both great bands.  I don't think it's fair to compare them because they are different genres.  Rush is progressive rock/hard rock.  The Beatles were pop/rock. 

I totally agree, Boots.  It just seemed like there were people who were saying the Beatles were nothing special, but by their existence on this board I'm assuming they think Rush are extraordinary in some way.  And to me, if Rush is extraordinary (which I think they are) then there's no way the Beatles aren't.  That just doesn't make any sense.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#152 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

I think the Beatles broke far more new ground than Rush over their career in terms of musical growth, exploration, and production.

Then again, they had George Martin doing all those arrangements for them and immediate access to anything they wanted.

#153 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

There were pre-Beatles, influences (Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash) but none had that "bam" impact on the world at that one time.  You have to look at why people picked up instruments and decided that writing their own songs, playing and singing them was the thing to do.  The Beatles, definitely got that started.  No Rush if there were no Beatles.

Led Zeppelin is derivative and yes, overrated.  No question though, that Led Zeppelin set the blueprint for 70s hard rock.  Had their been no Led Zeppelin, there would still have been a Rush, but I don't think you'd see a band have the courage to try different ways of performing, acoustically, electric blues, progressive leanings were it not for Led Zeppelin showing that you can do all of these things and still be macho and still get the ladies.

• Moving Target likes this

#154 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

The Beatles compilation "1" has sold as much as Rush's entire catalog.

There is no comparison. Beatles influenced prog- Yes, Genesis and Floyd.

Rush is brilliant but in some ways - very derivative.
  • Moving Target likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users