#21 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

I guess I will be hauling this stuff out to the trash cans for the sanitation services.

Send it to the guy at CX1.net.  Heck, I'll even chip in for the postage.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#22 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

I guess I will be hauling this stuff out to the trash cans for the sanitation services.

That's make more sense than putting it on eBay and getting something for the collection.  :rolleyes:

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#23 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

Have an epic yard sale.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#24 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

Sending them to a web site, like Cygnus X-1, seems to me to be the most altruistic thing to do. There is a high likelihood they would be digitized and posted for many fans to enjoy for many years to come.

• grep likes this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#25 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Sending them to a web site, like Cygnus X-1, seems to me to be the most altruistic thing to do. There is a high likelihood they would be digitized and posted for many fans to enjoy for many years to come.

That's why I suggested it man. :)

#26 RedSectorA

RedSectorA

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHebron, IN

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

I thought about building a website and scanning it all for people to see digitally and maybe charge a one time fee of $10.00 but I do not have the time or desire to mail portions out for eBay customers as that might takes years to sell.

#27 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

I thought about building a website and scanning it all for people to see digitally and maybe charge a one time fee of $10.00 but I do not have the time or desire to mail portions out for eBay customers as that might takes years to sell.

But that's the way you make money at this.

You sell your wares, and you charge a fixed shipping charge, that is 5x what it actually costs you to ship.  Typically people do not think about shipping when they are bidding, but your shipping fee gets added on the top.  So those magazines you'd sell at $10 become $20 because you charge a $10 shipping fee.  You put them in a padded envelope that costs a dollar, and ship first class mail for 2 dollars and you pocket an additional $7 profit.

#28 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

But that's the way you make money at this.

You sell your wares, and you charge a fixed shipping charge, that is 5x what it actually costs you to ship. Typically people do not think about shipping when they are bidding, but your shipping fee gets added on the top. So those magazines you'd sell at $10 become $20 because you charge a $10 shipping fee. You put them in a padded envelope that costs a dollar, and ship first class mail for 2 dollars and you pocket an additional $7 profit.

The hell they don't think about shipping! I've reported many auctions for gouging shipping. eBay allows a reasonable "handling" fee, which is still bullshit. Usually the auction will be shut down, and then relisted with more accurate charges.

Yes. I can be an eBay nazi. I'm not the only one. I've had auctions shut down for offering check discounts, and even mentioning the word "Fender" when the guitar wasn't a Fender.
  • stoopid likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#29 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

The hell they don't think about shipping! I've reported many auctions for gouging shipping. eBay allows a reasonable "handling" fee, which is still bullshit. Usually the auction will be shut down, and then relisted with more accurate charges.

Yes. I can be an eBay nazi. I'm not the only one. I've had auctions shut down for offering check discounts, and even mentioning the word "Fender" when the guitar wasn't a Fender.

Agree 100% about the shipping. If I'm looking at something small and light and I see shipping more than a small Priority Mail box would cost, I move on. If you want to make money, price your stuff fairly and don't screw people over with excessive shipping fees.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#30 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

I think it's a difficult sale (magazine collections). IMO the only way you could get a premium price ($10 per magazine) is sell them individually. That of course would take forever and you would not get rid of the entire collection ever. You might have a chance on ebay if you price it to sell - or mayube contact thoes great websites like Cygnus X-1 or Power Windows and maybe they' be interested in taking it off your hands for the cost of shipping.

It's tough though. You've put in a ton of time collecting these things but the resale market is almost non-existent. Even factory pressed boots resale is a very limited market. Those that must have them have purchased their copy, those that are interested in collecting live showsget them via bit torrent. I used to pay up to $40 for a single silver and between $50-$70 for a double but that was the nineties.

Collecters reach these crossroads. The collecting starts to take up too much of your time and space and you just want it out of your life but you've invested time and money and would like to recoup a bit of it. Good luck.

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#31 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

And when a guy like me gets his hands on a silver, I'd liberate it on Dime within a couple of days.

• stoopid and Slut Puppy like this

#32 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

Give it to Geddy. He likes collecting things.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#33 neilpeartsponytail

neilpeartsponytail

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Not sure if anyone is interested but, my Rush collection must go!

PM me and I can give you more information.

Thanks, RSA

I'll buy your video collection. PM me.

#34 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

Fifty thousand dollars!!!!

987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif