#21 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Too damn right!

If I think about seeing a band in Manchester it's a big deal. It's 40 bloody miles to get theer and that's 2 hours of travel (by car) that's a big undertaking.

Jeezus, I've had daily commutes to work longer than that.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,946 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

What is no distance to Yanks is a big distance for us.  200 miles is a long way.....

Yes, I agree.  You should pick a common holiday spot maybe that's between all of you, on a common holiday weekend.

#23 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Yes, I've had commutes longer.  Half the people who work for me now are 2hrs away

#24 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

How far is it from London to Fawlty Towers?

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#25 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Over a country dividing Mountain range, where the road can reach heights of 1,200 feet?

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

How far is it from London to Fawlty Towers?

Via the M4 and M5 about 216 of our UK miles. Sorry I don't know how far that is in US miles.

#27 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Via the M4 and M5 about 216 of our UK miles. Sorry I don't know how far that is in US miles.

don't you guys use metric? kilometers and all? 

without the aid of the internet or calculator, that would ROUGHLY be about 150 US miles...

third line to state that hat makes you look positively Aussie. :)

#28 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

I thought he was trying to look American. Or maybe Texan.

#29 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

without the aid of the internet or calculator, that would ROUGHLY be about 150 US miles...

No. We fucking well don't use metric - apart from for Science. We travel in miles and we drink in pints - REAL PINTS.

The hat is photoshopped. It was really on the head of a gay cowboy called JonM. Who isn't gay - he only helps out when they are busy - and isn't a cowboy.

#30 Windshieldfly

Windshieldfly

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEnd of 246

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Over a country dividing Mountain range, where the road can reach heights of 1,200 feet?

Above the ground?

We call them bridges here, mate.

In a world where I feel so small

I can't stop drinking gin.....

#31 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Pocono Mountains and Catskills, 1900ft and 4200ft respectively.  Daily commuters to NYC.

#32 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Not in road travel distance.

In construction, science and sport it's all metres now.  Nobody uses pounds any more, and Imperial tons are on the way out.  Metric tonnes are about the same as US tons.

#33 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

40 miles on the motorway there and back to work would be prohibitive, given that our fuel prices are six times yours.  Two hours travel time to work is not acceptable here - get another job or move house.

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

The Bard is shit.

You don't hear that everyday.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#35 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

40 miles on the motorway there and back to work would be prohibitive, given that our fuel prices are six times yours.  Two hours travel time to work is not acceptable here - get another job or move house.

Have to disagree with you on that one. In this job, before I started working from home most of the time, my daily commute was 38 miles there, 38 miles back on the motorway or 26 miles through an annoying traffic-clogged small town. I used to commute from Northampton into the City (60 miles). A lot of people do commute 40+ miles.

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I drink in metric. 330ml bottles, or 100cl of vodka in a martini. Having said that I haven't had a drink for nearly two weeks now. Going through an odd phase where I don't really feel like it. I do hope it'll pass.

#37 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Pocono Mountains and Catskills, 1900ft and 4200ft respectively.  Daily commuters to NYC.

They're just a bunch of WUSSIES, Joe......ANTISOCIAL WUSSIES.  crybaby.jpg

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#38 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Have to disagree with you on that one. In this job, before I started working from home most of the time, my daily commute was 38 miles there, 38 miles back on the motorway or 26 miles through an annoying traffic-clogged small town. I used to commute from Northampton into the City (60 miles). A lot of people do commute 40+ miles.

Yike.  I wouldn't do it.  My old Da once said "Son, travelling time is wasted time".  On a train you could read a book, of course.

#39 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Well I did use the train between Northampton and London for a while. But the likelihood of being stuck with truly awful people is just too high. You can listen to the radio in the car.

The last straw was one summer evening on the way back from Euston to Northampton. A woman sitting diagonally opposite me, about 55-60 I'd say, amused herself by picking bits of dead skin from her fingers with her fingernails. She just sat there smiling, picking away, not self-conscious about it at all. After about 25 minutes, she'd collected a fair covering of dead skin debris onto her lap - it looked like a bit like she'd been garnished with coarsely grated breadcrumbs - and she just stood up and brushed it off her dress onto the floor in front of her as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

You can't just get up and sit somewhere else on a packed train. You'll end up standing for the first half hour. I decided to ride out the rest of my monthly season ticket, and I always took the car after that.

#40 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Well I did use the train between Northampton and London for a while. But the likelihood of being stuck with truly awful people is just too high. You can listen to the radio in the car.

The last straw was one summer evening on the way back from Euston to Northampton. A woman sitting diagonally opposite me, about 55-60 I'd say, amused herself by picking bits of dead skin from her fingers with her fingernails. She just sat there smiling, picking away, not self-conscious about it at all. After about 25 minutes, she'd collected a fair covering of dead skin debris onto her lap - it looked like a bit like she'd been garnished with coarsely grated breadcrumbs - and she just stood up and brushed it off her dress onto the floor in front of her as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

You can't just get up and sit somewhere else on a packed train. You'll end up standing for the first half hour. I decided to ride out the rest of my monthly season ticket, and I always took the car after that.

Splendidly revolting story and well-told!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users