#1 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Having been all through the catalog now, I thought it would be fun to type out how I think the albums stack up to one another.

To my mind, the only reasonable way to do that is to break up the albums in to eras. I'll stick to the box set divisions, though other divisions could make sense too.

The Peter Gabriel Era:

Foxtrot - between Can Utility and Supper's Ready, this is some of my all-time favorite prog

Selling England By the Pound - very powerful, tight and in some ways concise, musically, with haunting themes

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - would have been a super strong single album - the best way to enjoy this is in 5.1 with the slides

Nursery Crime - some great stuff here

Trespass - interesting historically, but not a very enjoyable album overall

From Genesis to Revelation (haven't actually heard it - is there any point?)

The Middle Era:

Duke - from start to finish I love everything about this album

Trick of the Tail - very, very solid and would have been a strong contender in the PG era too

...And Then There Were Three - not very memorable, but enjoyable texturally - feels like a grower

Abacab - the songs I love I really love, but I can't fully get in to the 1st half of the album

Wind and Wuthering - as with it's artwork, this album just feels kinda blah to me

The Final Era:

S/T (a.k.a. Shapes/The Mama Album) - Dayum, such a fracking awesome album - poppy, heavy, proggy, dark, funny

Invisible Touch - don't let the poppy lead-off track fool you, this is a poppy, proggy record with lots of depth

We Can't Dance - I like the title track the least of everything - would have been stronger picking another title and leaving that song off, though it is catchy and I understand their decision - otherwise great album

Calling All Stations - no

Favorite era? Can't really pick one. Which ever one I'm listening to. The top one or two albums in each era are among my favorites in my entire collection. I bought the first era box set, but bought my favorites from the other eras individually, partly because the middle era is OOP and for the last era because I had stumbled upon IT and WCD over the years and only needed S/T to make my joy complete in that era. The hi-res, 5.1 mixes from the Rhino reissues are phenomenal.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#2 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#3 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

From Genesis to Revelation is not worth checking out.  It's crap.  Totally different from everything else, and not in a good way.

I actually liked about half of Calling All Stations.  "One Man's Fool," the title track, and "The Dividing Line" are all standout tracks.  There are some lame ones like "Alien Afternoon," but most of the album isn't terrible.

I heard one subdivision that put Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail in the early period because of Steve Hackett, and while I love his guitarwork (and his songwriting on pieces like "Blood on the Rooftops") he was no where near as central to the direction of the band as Gabriel was.  

The mid 80's albums I kinda like half of each of.  "Tonight Tonight Tonight" is good, "Domino" is good, "Home by the Sea" suite is good.  But then you have awkward tunes like "Silver Rainbow" that seem to just meander around themselves.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wind and Wuthering is their dark horse. Some beautiful songs on that one.

#5 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hilarious American Psycho quote concerning Phil Collins and Duke:

http://www.imdb.com/...?item=qt0453349

#6 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I like Duke the best - it's the only one with any emotional wallop to it, and I like the reprises of some of the big themes in the final two tracks.

#7 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Here's a thought:  the most important member of Genesis was not Gabriel or Collins but Hackett.  After he left, the sound changed radically.

#8 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Funny, I've never really cared for Genesis, but I'm off to see Hackett play his Genesis revisited stuff next week. PG was just too pretentious by far and PC just wanted a good slap. Couldn't stand the faces of Banks and Rutherford.

So yes, Hackett was the most important member, always enjoyed his - early - solo work too.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Heard Hacketts been killing it on this tour. Sorry I missed this one.

#10 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, it did look good and I'm kicking myself for not going.  It's the only chance to hear Old Genesis live again.

#11 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Here's what I have..

Studio

Selling England By The Pound

A Trick Of The Tail

Wind & Wuthering

And Then There Were Three

Live

Seconds Out

The Way We Walk I & II

Live Over Europe 2007

Video

Live In London 5/6/80

When In Rome 2007

#12 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Here's a thought:  the most important member of Genesis was not Gabriel or Collins but Hackett.  After he left, the sound changed radically.

I've been saying that for years. Hackett's contribution was perhaps not obvious until he left and his guitar sound disappeared from the Genesis sound. Certainly there was a cliff-edge drop off in quality after he left the band. They may have written a few good songs post-Hackett but they would never again make a great album.

#13 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Funny, I've never really cared for Genesis, but I'm off to see Hackett play his Genesis revisited stuff next week. PG was just too pretentious by far and PC just wanted a good slap. Couldn't stand the faces of Banks and Rutherford.

So yes, Hackett was the most important member, always enjoyed his - early - solo work too.

You accuse PG of being pretentious but you're a fan of Yes :o Have you ever listened to any of Jon Anderson's lyrics ? ;)

#14 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

You accuse PG of being pretentious but you're a fan of Yes :o Have you ever listened to any of Jon Anderson's lyrics ? ;)

He may have been referring to the stage antics. I think everyone agreed, at the time, that the theatrics had gone too far. Like Bubbleman or whatever that costume was that made it hard for PG to even sing.

#15 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

...but they would never again make a great album.

Purely subjective. I, for one, think they did achieve greatness again, but just in a very different style. Duke and S/T are no less satisfying to me than Foxtrot, but I don't really feel any loyalty to prog, a rock sound or guitars prominent in a mix.

By the time you get to Wind and Wuthering, I almost can't wait for Hackett to be gone. He's just doing nothing for the record at that point.

#16 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Purely subjective. I, for one, think they did achieve greatness again, but just in a very different style. Duke and S/T are no less satisfying to me than Foxtrot, but I don't really feel any loyalty to prog, a rock sound or guitars prominent in a mix.
By the time you get to Wind and Wuthering, I almost can't wait for Hackett to be gone. He's just doing nothing for the record at that point.

Obviously it's subjective, all opinion is subjective, including yours. It's just that my opinion is correct :P Ask Nick ;)

I don't really understand what your last sentence means. His guitar playing is prominent throughout, Blood On The Rooftops in particular is beautifuI. I suspect you are applying a retrospective opinion, knowing what albums are coming and since these are albums you like you are impatient to get to that change of style.

#17 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

I suspect you are applying a retrospective opinion, knowing what albums are coming and since these are albums you like you are impatient to get to that change of style.

Perhaps, but that's the thing about a recorded catalog. Some heard it in real-time, as it was released. Some hear it "retrospectively." Either way, one's perception is formed in part by their particular experience. Neither is better. We're just stuck with how music was presented to us and when. For me, W&W does very little for me anyway and SH's work doesn't do much for me right along with the rest. Maybe he was holding them back!

#18 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

They're not pretentious, they're just DRIVEL!!!!!!

And the cosmic milkman has never dressed up as a haemorrhoid.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

Doesn't Lemmy have one of those...on his face?

#20 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

He may have been referring to the stage antics. I think everyone agreed, at the time, that the theatrics had gone too far. Like Bubbleman or whatever that costume was that made it hard for PG to even sing.

Too far for what, though?  I thought they were terrific. 

Perhaps, but that's the thing about a recorded catalog. Some heard it in real-time, as it was released. Some hear it "retrospectively." Either way, one's perception is formed in part by their particular experience. Neither is better. We're just stuck with how music was presented to us and when. For me, W&W does very little for me anyway and SH's work doesn't do much for me right along with the rest. Maybe he was holding them back!

I really like Eleventh Earl of Mar - the last classic Genesis track for me.    Otherwise there are a couple of pop tracks Your own Special Way and Afterglow, which I think are romantic drivel.  Then the next album was weak all the way through.

Only by Duke did they start to find a post-Hackett identity and I don't think they did a good album after that.  They went too poppy for me as Collins assumed almost total control.  It's why I started listening to Rush instead.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users