#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Found a bottle of this in the posh beer section in Waitrose.

Rather good indeed! :D  Will be getting some more.

#2 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thumbs up from me on that.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Quite appropriately, I was drinking it as the Sox got into the Fall Classic!

#4 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Jim Koch is a God of beer.  Boston Lager, Noble Pils, Octoberfest, the Utopias series, the Perfect Pint Glass.  Damn near everything that man touches turns to gold. 

Should I ever make a trip to Boston, the Sam Adams brewery tour is a must do.  In the meantime I'll enjoy my share of SA products here, and hopefully they will appear with something special at my annual visit to the Jupiter Craft Brewers festival in January. :Cheers3:

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#5 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Maine actually has a DJ called Sam Adams.  (99.9 FM The WOLF )

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#6 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'm generally not a huge fan of the Boston Lager, but I did enjoy the Octoberfest at lunch yesterday.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#7 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

I had a really good beer last week and I'm a little pissed off I can't remember what it was.

Hopefully you all found this post helpful.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#8 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

I am Sam Adams, so I am tastier than any of you.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

I'm enjoying some Sam Adams black at the moment. It's not Guinness, but it sure is tasty.

falconext.png

#10 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sam Adams make lots of great beer.  The Imperial Sout is very tasty, and quite strong ;)

Proud Knobhead

#11 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Imperial Sout? What in tarnation is that?

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

What you blimey, limeys drink...

:P

88462.jpg

Proud Knobhead

#13 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Um.... do we? :huh:

#14 Phalanx

Phalanx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Samuel Adams is indeed a good brew.

Jim Koch got himself some pretty bad PR a few years back.

There used to be this radio program here in New York called Opie and Anthony. Pretty funny stuff, but could get quite raunchy.

The show did an annual event called Sex for Sam. Samuel Adams Brewing sponsored the event, and the winners got an all expense trip to Boston, a private tour and tasting with Jim and so on. The objective was to have a number of couples perform sexual acts in public places. Each team had a referee who worked for the show and validated the act and location. The acts were designated a point score:

1 point for straight penetration
2 points for anal
3 points for oral
etc.

You also got bonus points based on the risk involved concerning the location. So if you did it on a roof top, you didn't get as many points as if you did it on a crowded subway car or other public place.

One daring couple decided on ST. Patrick’s Cathedral. They were caught and subsequently arrested. The male of the couple died about 2 weeks later of a heart attack, so the family tried to get in on a pay day.

The Catholic League tried to sue Samuel Adams for defamation and all other kinds of good stuff.

Funny as hell to listen to, but he caught hell for it in the press.

#15 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,005 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

^^^

Yes.  A big O&A fan here.  They "disappeared" him for a few years, taking his voice/pictures away from advertising after that.

As for Sam Adams, well it started the 1st craft beer revolution in the late 80s.  Since then craft beer has died off a bit and then in the early 2000s Dogfishhead, Lagunitas and a few others blew up and started it all over again.  We are well into the 2nd craft beer revolution in this country and it shows no signs of stopping.  I frequent weekly a restaurant that has 52 taps of craft beer and all change weekly.  This should be the norm and not the exception.

Sam for me is now plebeian.  I drink beers now with the rare hops rolled on the thighs of young virgins now fer chrissake!

#16 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

the best of the lot IMO is the Hazel Brown. Unfortunately, I've only seen it in their Fall sampler 12-pack. As good as it is, I'm not sure it's worth choking down yet another fucking Pumpkin beer. Pure shit, that one is. I'm also a great fan of their Boston Ale. It's hard to find, but well worth the search.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#17 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

The best pumpkin beers this year were by Shipyard (they make two different ones!) and Smuttynose.  The rest were kinda meh.

I like Sam's Octoberfest and Double Bock.  I think when they don't stray too far from the German styles they are at their best.

#18 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

The best pumpkin beers this year were by Shipyard (they make two different ones!) and Smuttynose.  The rest were kinda meh.

I like Sam's Octoberfest and Double Bock.  I think when they don't stray too far from the German styles they are at their best.

Shipyard's Pumpkinhead (Longnecks and on tap) isn't bad, but Smashed Pumpkinhead (limited to the fall, and in craft bottles) is epic-best pumpkin beer out there.

Total Wine emailed me last week on the local availability of SA Utopias at $200 a pop.  Yeah, sounds steep, but your talking a brewed and fermented (not a frozen and water extracted "ice beer") in the 25%+ ABV.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

#19 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

^^^

Yes.  A big O&A fan here.  They "disappeared" him for a few years, taking his voice/pictures away from advertising after that.

As for Sam Adams, well it started the 1st craft beer revolution in the late 80s.  Since then craft beer has died off a bit and then in the early 2000s Dogfishhead, Lagunitas and a few others blew up and started it all over again.  We are well into the 2nd craft beer revolution in this country and it shows no signs of stopping.  I frequent weekly a restaurant that has 52 taps of craft beer and all change weekly.  This should be the norm and not the exception.

Sam for me is now plebeian.  I drink beers now with the rare hops rolled on the thighs of young virgins now fer chrissake!

Damn, they need to steep those virgin thighs in the wort- a sort of wet hopping.

:lol: JCBF 1/25/14, online tix middle of next month!

#20 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

I'm really enjoying Founders Backwoods Bastard.  An exceptional Scotch Ale that has been twisted and aged in bourbon barrels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users