#1 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Wow.  Nobody thought to do this on this board.....

It' started with "Sober" off the first album, Then continued with the second album, then I didn't buy another Tool album until this last Saturday after hearing a song from "Lateralus" on The web-cast "Underdog Prog" show on The Dividing Line.com (Saturdays, 7-10pm Eastern time) Hosted by former CP member Rushgrrrl (Mary White) 

After hearing the tune, I immediately bought the album on Amazon.  I will receive it tomorrow, and I can't wait to hear the rest of it!  I LOVE this group!  I still don't have any Perfect Circle stuff, or other side projects....

TOOL-salivalS.jpg

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#2 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Lateralus is a masterpiece. Seriously. This is not hyperbole. It is one of the most perfect prog albums ever made. I had to buy it twice because I wore out the first disc. It is mathematically profound. There are Fibonacci numbers in there. The lyrics are spiritual and sublime.

I recall that I bough the CD the first time when I was in Singapore in the summer of 2001. Listening to it in the hotel room and totally frikkin' blown way.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#3 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

I came on-board with Tool at the mid-late period of their career, so I stake no claim to being a fan of theirs from the beginning.  

I agree with Mike, Lateralus is a fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G album.  10,000 is right up there too.

Some time back, I ran across this.  It's called the Holy Gift, which is essentially a fan-redux of Lateralus.  This structure brings a whole new energy to this already-great album.  If you don't have Lateralus yet, wait, this is probably better for people who are already familiar with the album.

This takes Lateralus to brand new heights...absolutely awesome.

#4 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

I hadn't listened to Tool for many months until recently when I put on Lateralus.  Listening to the drums on The Grudge it really sunk in just how much Danny Carey contributes to the songs.  He seems to take great care in composing the drum parts, playing on rhythmic themes in ways both subtle and not-so-subtle, and supporting the various parts of the song in just the way that's needed.  He has ridiculously complex patterns but not just for complexity's sake.  Of course this applies to all the songs on the album but for some reason The Grudge really stood out this time around.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#5 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#6 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

I've been a fan since Undertow. I finally got to see them on the 10000 Days tour. It was a good show overall. I wish they had played The Pot and/or Sober, but such is life. The opening band sucked pretty hard, but I did mention to my friend that the drummer was really good even if the band as a whole wasn't. At one point they brought the drummers kit back on stage and he and Danny had a sort of drum off. It was something to behold.

#7 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Fantastic.  Wish I even knew how to play an instrument at that age, and a few of them are already better at their respective instruments than I am now!  lol

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#8 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

I was the first of my friends to run out and buy Undertow after seeing the Sober video on head banger's ball the night before.  I skipped Aenima for whatever reason, the track on the radio sounded plodding and I had moved on to other music at the time.  Then sometime later in the '90s I heard Aenima in the 'right' frame of mind ;) and been hooked since.  Lateralus is definitely my favorite.  Every record has good tracks though.

Perfect Circle is worth checking out, though not exactly Tool like aside from Maynard's vocals.  Thirteenth Step is one of my all time favorite rock albums (by any band).

The Package and Noose are also worth checking out.

#9 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thirteenth Step is one of my all time favorite rock albums (by any band).

Same here.  Phenomenal album!

Any word on any upcoming Tool projects (album, tour, DVD)?

#10 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Danny Carey says they're about to start tracking the new album, probably early 2014 release.  Knowing them though, that could mean anytime between this Xmas and Thanksgiving of 2017.

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,723 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Funny... seeing the title I thought the thread was about a personality type, rather than the epic band.

falconext.png

#12 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Danny Carey says they're about to start tracking the new album, probably early 2014 release.  Knowing them though, that could mean anytime between this Xmas and Thanksgiving of 2017.

That was the last I knew, material was written and ready to be performed in the studio.  It feels like forever ago I last heard this though.  2017 might be optimistic.

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

I heard on Marc Maron's podcast interview with Maynard that they started on the music without him.  He's probably tracking vocals now, or very shortly.

This is the track that got me into them:

#14 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Same here.  Phenomenal album!

Any word on any upcoming Tool projects (album, tour, DVD)?

thirded.

seriously, ORF? never heard any Tool tunes before now? One of the best 3 live shows i ever saw (10K Days).

APC is an odd bunch, maynard notwithstanding. When i heard "Blue", i was in love. the guitarist is billy howerdel, Tool's guitar tech.

Took my kids to see APC maybe a yr and a half ago, and i listened from outside (the guard let me in for a bit though). 

When you're ready to freak, you can try Puscifer. Carina Round is a perfect vocal pair with maynard. 

BTW, another good find is ASHES DiVIDE, with billy howerdel. Maynard's son plays cello on a tune or two.

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#15 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

yup. i heard the music was basically done, but as usual, waiting on maynard.

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#16 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

BTW, another good find is ASHES DiVIDE, with billy howerdel. Maynard's son plays cello on a tune or two.

I have an Ashes Divide album (is there only one?).  You can hear his influence on APC, but I just couldn't get into it.  Partly because of his vocal style.  He can sing but it's like Smashing Pumpkins if Billy Corgan was trying to sound more masculine.   He just doesn't have a hard rock voice.  Would it be going out on a limb to say this is likely why he was auditioning for a vocalist when Maynard fell into his laptop for APC?  I'm certain Billy knows he can, and has, done better having someone else sing his songs.  [I can relate to my own musical output]

#17 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Funny... seeing the title I thought the thread was about a personality type, rather than the epic band.

Do you remember the Subforum title?   ;)  :P

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#18 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

thirded.

seriously, ORF? never heard any Tool tunes before now? One of the best 3 live shows i ever saw (10K Days).

APC is an odd bunch, maynard notwithstanding. When i heard "Blue", i was in love. the guitarist is billy howerdel, Tool's guitar tech.

Took my kids to see APC maybe a yr and a half ago, and i listened from outside (the guard let me in for a bit though). 

When you're ready to freak, you can try Puscifer. Carina Round is a perfect vocal pair with maynard. 

I started with the first album when It was just out after I saw the video for Sober on a local TV video show. .  I also bought "Aenima" when It came out.  Lateralus is my first album purchased  since then.  Just received it yesterday, and  WOW.  I'll come down someday.....Frolicking.gif 

I do have the Pucifer album "V is for Vagina"...That album I like fine!  fruit-veggiegirl.jpg

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#19 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Drove to Daytona/Ft. Myers the summer of '02 to catch Tool (Tomahawk opened) at the TECO Arena. The bass was so thick, I literally vibrated the whole show. and then enjoyed walking in the water on the beach afterwards. Lateralus is one of those incredible from start to finish albums... I look forward to the day when I can afford 'new' music and to catch some live gigs again. SOON!

#20 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

I do have the Pucifer album "V is for Vagina"...That album I like fine!  fruit-veggiegirl.jpg

I think those eggplants have spoiled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users